ADVERTISEMENT

Good Breakdown of UAB farce

Wow, that is an incredible article.

So many times we take the #'s at face value without really doing any digging.

I think there is probably a real cost of attendance that he is underestimating slightly but I think the jist of it is accurate.

FWIW I am team Doug .
This post was edited on 12/8 3:34 PM by TeKEraider

Originally posted by TeKEraider:

I think there is probably a real cost of attendance that he is underestimating slightly but I think the jist of it is accurate.

FWIW I am team Doug .

This post was edited on 12/8 3:34 PM by TeKEraider
LOL. I keep trying to extract myself from that, but I just can't help myself.

Back to the article - I do think that you can crunch the #'s to make it look as good or as bad as you want it to.

I always wondered about just how much cost was involved - clearly things like recruiting expense, travel, staffing, etc are a big drain.

But why should it cost the university anything to have a football joe sit in the back of a classroom anyway and be on the rolls?

Carr sports seems like the hired gun to come up with what ever results the persons doing the hiring wants. University A wants to go to FBS from fcs, Carr will produce the report with the numbers backing up that recommendation. and vice versa...

Originally posted by SpaceRaider:
Carr sports seems like the hired gun to come up with what ever results the persons doing the hiring wants. University A wants to go to FBS from fcs, Carr will produce the report with the numbers backing up that recommendation. and vice versa...
Exactly! Remember my QM 362 professor said that's what statistics are for--to show whatever result the client wants to deliver. There's usually a reason why those word problems were so tricky!! Hard to believe was in that class 23 years ago and stats II was one of my toughest classes that I ever took--graduate or undergraduate.

I'm currently working on a term paper on this very subject for my Contemporary Issues in Sport class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT