ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Future Opponent Scheduled

MidTennMtneer

All American
Nov 13, 2013
So far Eastern and GA Southern those years. So still a Power $ and hopefully an FCS.

Unless the conference chooses to go round robin and we drop to 3 out of conference games. That would require '25 being adjusted though as we already have 4 that year.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I’m glad to see winnable games on the schedule but I would have preferred Ohio or Ball St over EMU.

I’m glad to see winnable games on the schedule but I would have preferred Ohio or Ball St over EMU.
That's my thought. Even this year's schedule, if you replace Mizzou for another G5, none of us would fuss.

I too would prefer closer teams. More regional. SBC or as mentioned, closer MAC teams or AAC teams. But it is a step in the right direction over two or more power teams. So kudos to them for that.

Some are ripping it on Twitter though. WKU fans and even Wes Counts. Essentially saying no to joining the MAC and then we go and schedule someone from there.

Big difference between living in the MAC and playing a home/home years down the road. I understand the MAC argument and would have embraced it had that been the path we took, but I am happy we stayed where we are. Gives us more flexibility long-term should another option arise.

I thought we and/or WKU would have been kings of the MAC, that's why I felt it was a good move. But I do like CUSA's new weeknight package - that was one of the reasons the MAC was attractive.

Anyways, this is a good schedule add. Like others and I have said in many posts - 1 money bag game, 2 G5 peer programs, 1 FCS (local preferable) is the ideal schedule.

I guess file this under “it’s clearly a slow news cycle”. It’s more than 8 years away, against an opponent that 90+% of casual sports fans have no idea where it’s located (Ypsilanti). If we have to settle for EMU, would hope we knocked on the doors of App St, Charlotte, GA St, Troy, UAB, S AL, Southern MS, & ARK St before signing a contract with EMU. I have no animosity toward any of our former conference mates, some got opportunities we weren’t ready for.
On a scale of 1-10, it’s a 1.1 for me.

I guess file this under “it’s clearly a slow news cycle”. It’s more than 8 years away, against an opponent that 90+% of casual sports fans have no idea where it’s located (Ypsilanti). If we have to settle for EMU, would hope we knocked on the doors of App St, Charlotte, GA St, Troy, UAB, S AL, Southern MS, & ARK St before signing a contract with EMU. I have no animosity toward any of our former conference mates, some got opportunities we weren’t ready for.
On a scale of 1-10, it’s a 1.1 for me.
I agree, but I look at it this way.

That's 2 G5 schools scheduled those years. That means most likely we will still have a power $ and an FCS. And that to me is the right kind of schedule.

While the team choice isn't great, it's better than past years with 3 power teams.

Reactions: ewglenn
I agree, but I look at it this way.

That's 2 G5 schools scheduled those years. That means most likely we will still have a power $ and an FCS. And that to me is the right kind of schedule.

While the team choice isn't great, it's better than past years with 3 power teams.
Look, I would never disagree with you as you are one of a handful of people on here who put forth the effort and work. It’s always appreciated. The reason we have so many body bag games annually is due to the fact there is minimal interest in the product locally, and once the weather turns cooler later October, regardless who we play, there’s only a small contingent of fans in the stands.
So, some how the school has to raise the $$$ in any fashion they can. If it’s body bag games, so be it.
So it’s incumbent upon the schedule makers to ensure any out of conference games are ones that have some local interest, especially the first 6-7 weeks of the season.
Candidly, there are maybe 30+ teams we have zero chance of beating any given Saturday. However, as they have proven at least once every year, we can easily represent against the rest of teams who reside in the Top 60-70.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
I agree that it's more the right "kind" of opponent rather than the particular individual opponent.

I'm not sure it matters to anyone whether the G5 team we face is from North Carolina or Michigan or Wyoming.

The key fact is that it's a winnable game against a peer level opponent. We all know why we play multiple moneybag games, but if you want a chance to break out of that you've got to sell a product that people want to pay money for. No one cares who you played when you're sitting at 2-5 in October.

One way to do that is to stack winning/successful seasons - 9,10 win seasons sell, and if playing the Emu's from Ypslianti can help us do that, so much the better.

I agree that it's more the right "kind" of opponent rather than the particular individual opponent.

I'm not sure it matters to anyone whether the G5 team we face is from North Carolina or Michigan or Wyoming.

The key fact is that it's a winnable game against a peer level opponent. We all know why we play multiple moneybag games, but if you want a chance to break out of that you've got to sell a product that people want to pay money for. No one cares who you played when you're sitting at 2-5 in October.

One way to do that is to stack winning/successful seasons - 9,10 win seasons sell, and if playing the Emu's from Ypslianti can help us do that, so much the better.
Yeah I’m in the same boat. I understand the reasoning for the multiple money games but it does kill any momentum. The conference hasn’t helped us either. They have front loaded our schedule with the conference favorites every year I’ve been a fan. This year WKU is our first conference game and Liberty is the fourth. Those should be happening later in the season imo. We’re being projected as a top 3-4 team. Why not let your best teams pad their records to make those matchups “look” bigger to casual fans.

While I agree the schedule typically does no favors, if you are a quality championship level program that should not matter.

The biggest problem is Stockstill's teams are never prepared, never hit the field full speed, never execute well. I don't know what the record is for season openers or home openers, but my impression/recollection is that it's more flops than not. I suspect if Stockstill was to coach a dozen more years, that would not change.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
While I agree the schedule typically does no favors, if you are a quality championship level program that should not matter.

The biggest problem is Stockstill's teams are never prepared, never hit the field full speed, never execute well. I don't know what the record is for season openers or home openers, but my impression/recollection is that it's more flops than not. I suspect if Stockstill was to coach a dozen more years, that would not change.
FIU 7-6 W
FAU 14-27 L
Troy 17-31 L
Clemson 14-37 L
Minnesota 17-24 L
Purdue 24-27 L
Mcneese St 21-27 L
WCU 45-24 W
Savannah St 61-7 W
Jackson St 70-14 W
Alabama A&M 55-0 W
Vanderbilt 6-28 L
Vanderbilt 7-35 L
Michigan 21-40 L
Army 0-42 L
Monmouth 50-15 W
JMU 7-44 L

Interesting note is Alabama A&M looks like someone we should schedule more. They brought roughly 3-4k more fans when comparing them to other comparable games.

Reactions: mtfblue
FIU 7-6 W
FAU 14-27 L
Troy 17-31 L
Clemson 14-37 L
Minnesota 17-24 L
Purdue 24-27 L
Mcneese St 21-27 L
WCU 45-24 W
Savannah St 61-7 W
Jackson St 70-14 W
Alabama A&M 55-0 W
Vanderbilt 6-28 L
Vanderbilt 7-35 L
Michigan 21-40 L
Army 0-42 L
Monmouth 50-15 W
JMU 7-44 L

What you don’t get from this unless you really look at it in finer detail is nine consecutive opening losses against FBS teams. And that doesn’t even include a loss to an FCS school. That and he only has one win which was the first game he ever coached almost a score ago.

FIU 7-6 W
FAU 14-27 L
Troy 17-31 L
Clemson 14-37 L
Minnesota 17-24 L
Purdue 24-27 L
Mcneese St 21-27 L
WCU 45-24 W
Savannah St 61-7 W
Jackson St 70-14 W
Alabama A&M 55-0 W
Vanderbilt 6-28 L
Vanderbilt 7-35 L
Michigan 21-40 L
Army 0-42 L
Monmouth 50-15 W
JMU 7-44 L

5-12.

Only two were against opponents that I wouldn't consider winnable (Clemson and Bama). Some were tougher challenges than others (Purdue/Minnesota as opposed to Vandy/Army), but those are winnable.

Even worse - 4 of the 5 wins were vs FCS opponents.

It's so unbelievable that he still has a job.

It really is.

He is so consistent in his mediocrity, it is really insane to expect anything different with a new season after this long. With EMU on the schedule in the distant future, if CRS is still the HC, you can expect a split, .500. If he were to surprise emu with a sweep you can reasonably be assured MT will still not had a conference championship under stock by the end of that season.

5-12.

Only two were against opponents that I wouldn't consider winnable (Clemson and Bama). Some were tougher challenges than others (Purdue/Minnesota as opposed to Vandy/Army), but those are winnable.

Even worse - 4 of the 5 wins were vs FCS opponents.

The school has a subversive president. Football is not important.

Reactions: MTFAN61
Stock will never win a Champ. It just isn't going to happen. He has proven what he is capable of. Period.

If he does win one, it will be backing in to it with a 8-4 record due to another school (likely Liberty or WKU) losing their QB for the season or something. There won't be a dominant 8-0 or 7-1 in conference run. Just isn't going to happen. With divisions now gone the likelihood of something like that happening is slimmer anyway.

I hope I'm wrong and I hope he hits a run of multiple double digit win seasons with a few champs. But I'm fully aware, even with blue goggles on, what we are capable of each year with him at the helm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT