ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Fred Allen article in his hometown paper

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
I've mentioned Fred Allen before. An amazing guard, who could shoot from deep.

I am surprised he is not in the MT Hall of Fame. He was that good.

It would be like 45 years from now, looking at the inductees, and not finding Reggie Upshaw or Giddy Potts.

Reactions: MTFAN61
Freddie was a great player who played before the 3 point shot counted. His shooting range was legendary. He probably does belong in the HOF…….

Reactions: MTFAN61
Fred Allen as a D1 guard in 1973 would fit in perfectly fine as a D1 guard in 2023. Today's talent has definitely not exceeded Allen's skills on the basketball court, in fact with the advent of the 3 point stripe he would put many present day college guards to shame.

Old side story about Fred Allen. One of my English professors at MT (wish I could remember his name) in 1980 claimed to live in an old haunted house off Main St. He loved telling our class the story of basketball great Fred Allen during his playing days coming over for dinner & running into the ghost of the little girl who still stayed there. He said Fred saw the little girl ghost playing with the professor's own daughter who was about the same age. Great story to here, but according to the professor not so much a great experience for Fred though. Hahaha.
1st time in 43 years I brought up the story about that professor who claimed to have personally known him, wish it could be corroborated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT