ADVERTISEMENT

For the Past 50 Years

MT01

All American
Aug 1, 2005
That would be since 1970 for you mathematically challenged.

Every coach brought to MT from Asheville since that time has a record of 99-124 (44%). And Wiel is actually propping up the catastrophe that is CNM right now.

Every coach brought here from somewhere other than Asheville? 769-505 (60%).

I was able to stomach the rapid decline in Blue Raider Football by making road trips to the NCAA in Dayton and St. Louis. Even the NIT game at home vs. Tubby and Minnesota. Dendy and Giddy were fun to watch.
But I’ve not attended a Blue Raider Basketball game since Kermit left and don’t intend to.

That would be since 1970 for you mathematically challenged.

Every coach brought to MT from Asheville since that time has a record of 99-124 (44%). And Wiel is actually propping up the catastrophe that is CNM right now.

Every coach brought here from somewhere other than Asheville? 769-505 (60%).

Them numbers don't lie. LOL. Randy Weil was still way better than this dude.

It means we don't do well with coaches from UNCA. LOL.
Two is hardly a good enough sample size. Also the majority of coaches other than a few were right around .500 winning % or worse in our history. Only three of our coaches that coached for more than a year or two are significantly over .500 in our history. Those 3 are Jimmy Earle, Bruce Stewart, and Kermit. To single out the two that happen to be from UNCA does not show anything. Especially when one is midway through their second season and we have no idea how his time here will end up. Only 9 out of our 20 coaches have been over .500 for their career and that includes one that was 4-0. Jimmy Earle, Bruce Stewart, and Kermit Davis won 63.5% of their games here. All other coaches won 46% of their games. So we apparently do not do good with coaches not named Jimmy Earle, Bruce Stewart, or Kermit Davis, not just coaches from UNCA.

It means about as much as your drivel post. It was never claimed to be the remedy for cancer. Just an interesting footnote.

But as you twist the stats only one coach at MT outside of those two Asheville dudes over the past 50 years has had a losing record at MT. That was Farrar 12 games under .500. Everyone else winning records. Stop the absurd spin.

Those coaches had longevity because they did well and didn't get fired. It's like saying you can't count Alabama's success in football if you take away Saban and Bear Bryant. As if those years don't count. LMAO. Your last sentence is about as asinine as any I've read recently.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
It means about as much as your drivel post. It was never claimed to be the remedy for cancer. Just an interesting footnote.

But as you twist the stats only one coach at MT outside of those two Asheville dudes over the past 50 years has had a losing record at MT. That was Farrar 12 games under .500. Everyone else winning records. Stop the absurd spin.

Those coaches had longevity because they did well and didn't get fired. It's like saying you can't count Alabama's success in football if you take away Saban and Bear Bryant. As if those years don't count. LMAO. Your last sentence is about as asinine as any I've read recently.
It is not absurd spin to include the entire history of our basketball program. It is spin to cut if off at the last 50 years because it makes your point better. More than half the coaches that have coached here were under .500. Where they coached before does not matter. Please show me where I said we can't count anyone's success. I am just saying those are the only 3 out of 20 that had any real success. It would be interesting to see how well the other coaches did outside of Bryant and Saban though. My entire point was that MT basketball has not had a lot of success with very many coaches.

It is not absurd spin to include the entire history of our basketball program. It is spin to cut if off at the last 50 years because it makes your point better. More than half the coaches that have coached here were under .500. Where they coached before does not matter. Please show me where I said we can't count anyone's success. I am just saying those are the only 3 out of 20 that had any real success. It would be interesting to see how well the other coaches did outside of Bryant and Saban though. My entire point was that MT basketball has not had a lot of success with very many coaches.

No it doesn’t. And that’s where you are wrong. Basketball prior to 1970 was different. It wasn’t the modern game it has become today. There wasn’t an emphasis on athletics prior to the 1970s at MT. If you are going to keep calling me out do your homework and know your history.

You could also classify 1987 as different era as well due to the addition of the three point line but the same would be true. Fifty years is more than a fair enough and round enough number of data points to compare. Who cares what happened in 1948? And the 100 plus games coached by the other two in statistical circles would be considered a large enough sample size to be used. It’s not two. It’s over 120.

No it doesn’t. And that’s where you are wrong. Basketball prior to 1970 was different. It wasn’t the modern game it has become today. There wasn’t an emphasis on athletics prior to the 1970s at MT. If you are going to keep calling me out do your homework and know your history.

You could also classify 1987 as different era as well due to the addition of the three point line but the same would be true. Fifty years is more than a fair enough and round enough number of data points to compare. Who cares what happened in 1948? And the 100 plus games coached by the other two in statistical circles would be considered a large enough sample size to be used. It’s not two. It’s over 120.
What you are saying is don’t hire a coach from UNCA based on two coaches. Am I right? How does that make any sense? Answer is it doesn’t. What are you going to do if McDevitt turns it around and takes us further than Kermit has? Start saying we should hire coaches from UNCA because the two we got from there won 65% of their games or whatever? Would still be dumb. Just so everyone knows I am not saying McDevitt will do that. Lord knows I would be attacked for that.

What you are saying is don’t hire a coach from UNCA based on two coaches. Am I right? How does that make any sense? Answer is it doesn’t. What are you going to do if McDevitt turns it around and takes us further than Kermit has? Start saying we should hire coaches from UNCA because the two we got from there won 65% of their games or whatever? Would still be dumb. Just so everyone knows I am not saying McDevitt will do that. Lord knows I would be attacked for that.

Why are you putting words in my mouth? I never said that. Or anything that could be construed as such. I just thought it was interesting that most everyone has had some degree of success here except the two coaches we hired from Asheville. That’s really all it says. But you’re too busy trying to correct everyone who is articulating and lamenting the shit show our program has become, which doesn’t actually need correcting.

To me, this is another example of another failed episode from the AD & Univ President. Technically or if you just look at some specific or isolated stats, two separate coaches from the same place probably doesn't tell you a whole lot.

Here's the deal though, this is more of a matter of public perception or PR. If you are going to select your next high profile HC hire from the exact same place as one of the program's HC hire fails from recent program history, you had better be darn sure you are hitting on target with that hire. If not, you can just about guarantee that a whole mess of people are going to draw a connection, question, and criticize the hiring move. The refrain is obvious, why that selection when there was already one example of hiring a HC from UNC-A not working at MT?

If CNM doesn't work out as early results already suggest, then this was a public perception problem that Massaro & McPhee walked right into.

MT has grown in stature. Public perception on matters such as these must be considered by those in leadership. MT might have gotten away with a similar misstep 20 or more years ago, but not now with more alumni & fans.

2018-2019
Stockstill-$821,704———(12-14)
McDevitt-$575,000——— (18-38)

$1,571,704 annually** see below.

But some folks say we don’t have problems. Just let things play out. Blah, blah blah.......

**Correction: It’s even worse. McDevitt gets another $175,000 for his media obligations. Make it a total of $750,000 which is what Kermit was making before he left for Oxford. The $575,000 is what’s paid directly from the school.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter where he comes from as long as he wins. It is funny that he was hired in the first place. I have tried to reserve judgment. I did criticize the hire. My biggest concern was UNC-A was all the guy knew before he came here. That was my biggest problem and he didn't win that much. We had some $ to spend at that point. I don't see what the point is in waiting except that then he has to hire another coach, and who knows what next horrible hire he will make. Name one good hire he made...besides Insell.

Even that was screwed up, they had to reopen the position and repost the job with requirements that met CRI's high school only experience, after it was made known that CRI had the job...

giphy.gif

Anything that the MT community wants never comes or never comes easy - wanna law school? TSU gets first shot... wanna out of state law school? Can't have it, but MT can have a fast track pre-med program instead....

And, of course, MT can now make and sell beer to drown our sorrows...

Last edited:

No attack neccessary. So far UNCA coaches don't work out well for us. Could change but so far, it's not good for us. That's what he was saying. It's what I'm saying too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT