ADVERTISEMENT

Five things to watch during first day in full pads

It's a little disconcerting that the QB's haven't been doing anything noteworthy.

This is Grammar's 3rd year in the system after a year of starting. He should be having a standout camp. Stockstill doesn't have game experience, but the guy is one of the highest rated QB's that I can remember us signing.

This team is loaded with depth and talent at quite a few positions - I don't think it's a stretch to say that we'll go as far as the QB takes us - that's why it's a little concerning that we're still seeing some struggles from the QB's early in camp.

There has to be a reason that Tubberville wanted Stock (the son) first at Tex. Tech and later at Cincinnati. But, after the spring game in '14 with Erdely. Stockstill, and Grammar all getting reps a knowledgeable FB observer was quoted that "there's not a D-1 signal-caller on the field".

We really need much better QB play than we saw at the end of last season. Let's hope one of the two competing this year really come out and become what we need to exceed expectations. I'm not counting on it.

I've been to a few of the practices - QBs are not struggling - they make a mistake here and there but not struggling. O-Line should be more concerning than the QBs.

Is the O-line struggling or are the d-linemen dominating? Ive always wondered how to tell if one line is struggling or the other line is just dominating.

Is the O-line struggling or are the d-linemen dominating? Ive always wondered how to tell if one line is struggling or the other line is just dominating.

Kind of both, the o-line was missing assignments, going the wrong way,not picking up the correct block, etc. Blown assignments and being dominated almost go hand in hand too. You take half a step in the wrong direction and that defender will be in the backfield in half a second. But I'm seeing a lot of youth mistakes like going the wrong way, and keep in mind there is a pretty good number of Freshman out there too and the speed changes pretty drastically from High School to College.

This is a D-Lineman dominating the o-line

But best I can find is when Gasque beat one of the goat's tackles (not much of a blown assignment, but close enough).Dude didn't exactly take the best angle to pick up that block. He just made a very slight misstep and Gasque came around his outside shoulder and leveled Doughty.

Edit: But not to take away anything from our Defense. They have gotten better.

Last edited:
I keep seeing Curtre's name. Maybe he will live up to his star rating. I think our d-line will be a pleaser surprise this year and our receiving corps will be as well

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT