ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Fagan, Buffen ask for release; Carlos Curry still undecided

Ok. So what was wrong with the previous environment? Did the players not like winning?

Lol at the MT01 post. I was thinking the same.

Curious how Dixon will do. Entering as an upperclassmen, maybe the tempo will help him as it “seemed” he took some steps back last season.

Ok. So what was wrong with the previous environment? Did the players not like winning?

Of course they did...Kermit ran a very complicated, multi play, methodical style of play - he treated players as robots. He also ruled and could be abusive; this can make players play differently. It worked a lot the last 5-6 years. However, it didn't work against Marshall or USM at the end when they needed something else.

So while we have won more lately that doesn't mean that is the only way to win.

Reactions: amgtmom
Of course they did...Kermit ran a very complicated, multi play, methodical style of play - he treated players as robots. He also ruled and could be abusive; this can make players play differently. It worked a lot the last 5-6 years. However, it didn't work against Marshall or USM at the end when they needed something else.

So while we have won more lately that doesn't mean that is the only way to win.

I didn't see anyone suggest it was the only way to win. I simply asked what was the issue with the environment.

I didn't see anyone suggest it was the only way to win. I simply asked what was the issue with the environment.

Kermit was one way in front of the public and another way in practice. I personally wouldn't like his coaching style. Think about some of our players, (which I will not name but you can determine who) I believe he would have developed differently under a different style.

From my vantage point, Kermit evolved quite a bit from his days prior to the great run. Now, I'm not going to sit here like I'm at practice everyday so there is a lot I don't see. But what I did see in those first seven or eight years are all the things Mike described. In the last seven or eight, I witnessed him change quite a bit. I would even venture to say nearly a 180.

While college basketball has turned into musical chairs with nearly a thousand players transferring now annually not a single player left Kermit over the past seven years voluntarily, when he couldn't keep a roster together in the first half of his tenure, so I was just curious what was so bad about the environment given the team was winning and no one was leaving. In this century, kids are being raised to expect something. They are entitled. Or at least they believe they are entitled...to whatever they want. Win or lose I actually kind of like the fact that Kermit was tough on them. They will be better adults for it - especially if they didn't get much at home. If McDevitt soft and caters to this mentality his teams will be soft too. Only those coaches that can still teach discipline and do it while also having to deal with the millennial are going to be successful now and going forward. It's a sad indictment on our society.

From my vantage point, Kermit evolved quite a bit from his days prior to the great run. Now, I'm not going to sit here like I'm at practice everyday so there is a lot I don't see. But what I did see in those first seven or eight years are all the things Mike described. In the last seven or eight, I witnessed him change quite a bit. I would even venture to say nearly a 180.

While college basketball has turned into musical chairs with nearly a thousand players transferring now annually not a single player left Kermit over the past seven years voluntarily, when he couldn't keep a roster together in the first half of his tenure, so I was just curious what was so bad about the environment given the team was winning and no one was leaving. In this century, kids are being raised to expect something. They are entitled. Or at least they believe they are entitled...to whatever they want. Win or lose I actually kind of like the fact that Kermit was tough on them. They will be better adults for it - especially if they didn't get much at home. If McDevitt soft and caters to this mentality his teams will be soft too. Only those coaches that can still teach discipline and do it while also having to deal with the millennial are going to be successful now and going forward. It's a sad indictment on our society.

You are making some good points and in general I don't disagree with you. Let me get specific; most of our best players were grad transfers, JC players or like a Shawn Jones who didn't really contribute till there SR season. I don't think Kermit did well developing enough 4 year players. A lot of this is his style and approach. We have had to do rebuilds each year ever since Dendy. Its too risky over time.

I don't think CNM will be soft, its the mental game of a coach that I think gets the best of his players. Players are more willing to follow someone who isn't blasting them all the time. Instead of always focusing on their weakness, you continually build on their strengths. I see Kermit as a great tactician, but IMHO was not a great motivator, fear and passion is one way, but you have to manage individual players differently when it comes to the mind game. A good example was Walters...Walters should have been all CUSA hands down but there was a wall between him and Coach. Sure some of this goes on the player but the guy getting paid a bunch of money is the coach, I believe Kermit wasn't able to morph enough to get Walters to the next level - He had him for 4 years (RS and 3 playing years).

Reactions: abarnett
Reports have Buffen committing to Ole Miss.

After all the talk of hoping for the best for MT, always following the Raiders, help in any way I can, staying a member of the BRAA ,etc.:

KERMIT DAVIS CAN OFFICIALLY KISS MY ASS

That is the biggest part of what rubs me the wrong way about his departure, all the talk about still being a Blue Raider. Ok, he's getting one or more of those recruits. Mildly annoying, but pretty much is a regular part of college basketball. So that part does not bother me much at this point. All the talk of true blue and always a Blue Raider then taking the signees is irritating.

As someone is already asserting in this thread, I'm ready to move on. Those recruits who were never Blue Raiders do not appear to be coming here. MT has a new coach with much potential, and I'm looking forward to what type of players he will be bringing aboard.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Of course I have no real way of knowing, but the returning players being relieved and upbeat about liking the new coach seems like a reasonable scenario. If the reports are true about the team being pretty upbeat, it would be understandable after a couple of anxious weeks of uncertainty about who would be a big authority in their lives for the next couple of years.

Obviously Kermit did keep players around these last 6 years. If a bunch were real unhappy, you'd think more would have been leaving like his first 8 or 9 years. Reasonable speculation would be that the successful results factored significantly when considering Kermit's tough, demanding, and grueling style of play and practice. I would also suspect recruiting to his style in addition to some adaptation on Kermit's part likely were a factor as well. For several of these recent years, I suspected Kermit didn't sign the big splashy recruits due to the pool being somewhat limited to the type of players who would and could function in an ultra-demanding system.

ADVERTISEMENT