ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Fagan, Buffen ask for release; Carlos Curry still undecided

Again, it sucks that circumstances led to MT losing one of it's great signing classes. So is life. Stuff happens. Hopefully it won't be long before CNM is signing some great classes to which all us MT folks can be excited. A brief reminder, Kermit built the program with average rated recruits and cast offs from other programs. They performed at a high level with much success by finding players who were a good match to the system. Some of those recruiting elements included finding strong and athletic players who may have generally been overlooked and/or underrated i.e. Giddy Potts, Marcos Knight, etc.

I imagine most on here already know that D1 recruiting is an unseemly and vicious business. Heck, the FBI is investigating a mess of the "elite" programs for cheating and criminal activity around recruiting. It's a pretty ugly business. That is it's unseemly even staying within the rules. Again, hopefully our new coach will be aggressively attacking the recruiting field to bring in some outstanding players...within the rules.

Ty Fagan is visiting Ole Miss. I guess we didnt have a clause in there to restrict the recruits from signing with future opponents.

I noticed Kermit had been liking a lot of his tweets still.

If Fagan signs with ole miss and we face ole miss at bridgestone, if we have Blue Raider fans applauding kermit when he is introduced or fawning over him and kissing his ass as a long lost prodigal son pre-game, I think I will be physically ill.

It was pretty much known by the wku game kermit was gone to ole miss, yet he was coaching for almost three more weeks with access to our signed recruits and no one protecting MT's interests. It is still my opinion once his decision was made it was in MT's interests to thank him for his service and send him on his way. May not have made any difference in the end with these recruits but we'll never know now.

giphy.gif

Who the F gave these kids unconditional releases? I get it’s typical practice to let kids go, but it’s also typical to restrict them from conference teams and teams we play.

Reactions: MTOleBlue and Hop45
I would have thought Kermit would atleast not recruit the kid solely to avoid the optics of him "stealing" our recruits. I would think that he would have access to better players at Ole Miss anyway.

Who the F gave these kids unconditional releases? I get it’s typical practice to let kids go, but it’s also typical to restrict them from conference teams and teams we play.
Recruits could still sign with 95% of the D-1 schools if MT future opponents were not available and I, for one, have a hard time seeing the negative with giving a restricted release. Hasn't that become somewhat common?
IMHO giving an unconditional release is another instance of Massaro giving the middle finger to fans. They hype the signing class, allow true involved hard-core fans to follow the kids anticipating their play in a MT uniform, and then allow the possibility that those same fans will have to watch these players on an opposing team. Damn hard to understand. Sometimes I think Massaro really doesn't get it.

I'm speechless, but again, I saw it coming a mile away. I said earlier in the thread that Snake Hamilton was likely setting up a visit for Fagan, and he surely was.

Honestly, the only reason I wanted Fagan, is because he's very close with Buffen and I want Buffen. I honestly couldn't care less about Fagan if we can get Buffen. I don't think Fagan's game translates well to the college level, I really don't. Buffen and Curry's does.

Who knows what happens at this point. Ole Miss has 4 spots available, and I'm sure Fagan will fill one of them. I don't think Buffen or Curry has the grades for Ole Miss, but I guess we'll see.

I'm over these recruits at this point and even more over Davis. I was actually hoping to see Davis do well at Ole Miss but you can scratch that now. I hope he loses every game he plays there and gets fired for cause for cheating again and loses his guaranteed $$$$ and gets a show cause and never coaches again..

Snake.

Fagan just tweeted Ole Miss with a map pin. Looks like he is going to be a Rebel.

If we can get Buffen or Curry, I'd run like we won the lottery. Hell, if we can get Buffen OR Curry, we'll be lucky.

I really don't care where Fagan goes. Fagan is a bad take for Ole Miss, he's not a versatile player. Mark my words. His shooting form is just too awkward, and he dominated the high school level at the rim and with dribble penetration. That $hit doesn't translate to the college game typically. Gonna get that $hit shut down real quick on a D1 court, and with that funky shooting motion, I can't ever imagine him being a good jump shooter. So unless he experiences some massive development (which is entirely possible) I don't see him being a "can't miss" prospect. We will be fine without Fagan. Wish I could say the same about Buffen & Curry. Those 2 are monsters.

Not really impressed. ...Has a very high view of himself.

I’m like TrueBlue147... done with this class. Let’s see what Nick can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hop45
If Fagan signs with ole miss and we face ole miss at bridgestone, if we have Blue Raider fans applauding kermit when he is introduced or fawning over him and kissing his ass as a long lost prodigal son pre-game, I think I will be physically ill.

It was pretty much known by the wku game kermit was gone to ole miss, yet he was coaching for almost three more weeks with access to our signed recruits and no one protecting MT's interests. It is still my opinion once his decision was made it was in MT's interests to thank him for his service and send him on his way. May not have made any difference in the end with these recruits but we'll never know now.

Again, I have to get out more. Apparently a little more to this story. It starts to put things in a little different perspective.

Space, you make excellent points particularly about should have left weeks earlier. So much for that love for MT and will do what I can for MT stuff.

Who's money was paying the the coaches and expenses in recruiting and signing those kids? Sure in the heck wasn't Ole Miss!

Reactions: MT Glenn
With what appears to be the poaching of the signee/s by Kermit and staff, things have just now turned in a way that rubs me the wrong way.

Typically, I try to give MT folk the benefit of the doubt particularly when not knowing all the details. Such a quick turnaround in poaching signee/s comes across as something other than the nature of the business, especially with a 16 year coach who is supposedly true blue. In my opinion, it suggests something else may have been in the works instead of respecting MT and waiting for signees decisions then recruiting them to try to go to Ole Miss. The question will likely linger for a long time, did those extra days and weeks of "love" for MT have something to do with angling for the MT signees?

Speaking of those extra weeks, the implosion of the team's performance at the end of the season is making more and more sense as time goes by.

Massaro should not have allowed transfers to conference schools or schools currently on our schedule for the next two years. Problem solved.
I'm 100% behind CNM. He wants to be here.

Reactions: Hop45
If the NCAA were to find that, while at MT, Kermit and/or one of the assistant coaches was recruiting currently signed players to Ole Miss, who would get in trouble? MT, or Kermit?

Once it was known that he was taking the Ole Miss job he should have be relieved of his coaching duties to avoid the conflict of interest. I appreciate what he did at MT but once he took the Ole Miss job his loyalties lie everywhere and he no longer has MT's best interest in mind. I think is just another mistake by Masarro.

Yup. Starting to look like Kermit and/or his staff were in the recruits ears while still on staff. At least Fagan (Not sure Buffen & Curry have the grades for Ole Piss).

I don't think it's a coincidence that Tye is visiting Ole Miss within like 48 hours of receiving his release.....I guarantee it was planned further advance.

Kermit The Snake. Uses MT's $$$$ to recruit Fagan for years and then takes him to Ole Piss AFTER Fagan had already signed with MT.....and Massaro lets him get away with it without any push back.

SWiley: Realizing I could be misreading what you are saying you seem to be intimating that Buffen & Curry could get in MT but not Ole Miss.
Based on what I would guess the entrance requirements are probably higher for Ole Miss than MT but the NCAA requirements for eligibility would be the same. C-USA and SEC have (had?) different requirements for partial qualifiers but that would not apply here. We know most all schools, even those which like to boast about their high academics (yes, I'm looking at you on West End), grant exceptions for students with rare and exceptional talents and not just in athletics.
Would you take the time to clarify? Thanks

Reactions: BlueRaider95
SWiley: Realizing I could be misreading what you are saying you seem to be intimating that Buffen & Curry could get in MT but not Ole Miss.
Based on what I would guess the entrance requirements are probably higher for Ole Miss than MT but the NCAA requirements for eligibility would be the same. C-USA and SEC have (had?) different requirements for partial qualifiers but that would not apply here. We know most all schools, even those which like to boast about their high academics (yes, I'm looking at you on West End), grant exceptions for students with rare and exceptional talents and not just in athletics.
Would you take the time to clarify? Thanks

Buffen and Curry are both on the fringe with regards to grades, especially Buffen. I believe there is a real concern Buffen will have to go the JUCO route.

Ole Piss and the SEC have more rigorous requirements for admission which is the basis for my comment. Exceptions would likely have to be granted for Curry and Buffen @ Ole Miss but maybe not at MT. It also makes less sense for Kermit to roll the dice on someone with questionable grades who isn't a 4 or 5 star prospect, whereas a school like MT has to take those risks to get a talent like Buffen/Curry.

Ole Miss literally enrolled a guy whose mom said, "he can't read." I'm sure there is not a 3,4 or 5 star athlete in the country that can qualify for MT that would not qualify for Ole Miss.

And I'm guessing the rumored $200 petty cash CKD had for players in his desk may have a few grand in it in Oxford.

Just embracing the heppin lifestyle in Oxford.

Just my opinion but JUCO or 5th year transfer is way to go at this point. Buys time to get recruits that fit program rather than settle for what is available.

Reactions: MTBig Blue
Just my opinion but JUCO or 5th year transfer is way to go at this point. Buys time to get recruits that fit program rather than settle for what is available.
I'm hoping we'll bring in at least one grad transfer, maybe even 2.

BkB late (regular) signing period starts Wed. We could soon find out McDevitt's plan to salvage this class along with an indication of his and his staff's recruiting ability.

Agree that Marshall is the most intriguing prospect that I've seen either MT or McDevitt "in on".

And it's been a long, long time since we've landed a player from Motlow although they have, by far, sent the most players to D-1 schools of the three mid-state JUCOs (not that we've had any from Vol. St. or CSCC either). Wouldn't be bad for MT to develop a good relationship with the area Community Colleges.

ADVERTISEMENT