ADVERTISEMENT

Embarrassing...

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
could think of other adjectives and other words to say here, but that sums it up.

I was there through the first half, normally I would be angry, but why I expend any energy on anger when the guys on the field and the coaches weren't expending any energy on the game in front of them. I'm not going to expend any energy getting worked up over the pathetic effort and performance on offense, defense and special teams.

When wku did the on successful side kick while up several scores, all I could is think back to earlier in the season when MT did the same to one of the weak sisters on the schedule. Told my friends Karma is a b****.

It is unacceptable to turn in a performance like that against your rival. There should be some coaches gone at the end of the season. There should be several starting positions lost as a result of that game.

On the way back we was listening to the 'Raider Wrap up show' and made note that no one called in while we had it on. Every one had tuned out.

Reactions: MTBig Blue
I turned this game off after WKU went up 21-0 and never turned it back on. I was told that the coaches didn't show any emotion which really pisses me off. If you are getting embarrassed like we did, the coaches better be in someone's ear.

I generally think the staff has done an above average job, but i'm getting tired of performances like this in big games.

Big games vs conference rivals, bowl games, big games vs OOC opponents.

It's like we don't even bother to show up.

Staff has done an above average job? On what planet?

This staff has been glorified for running the score up on high school teams while consistently failing in games that are actually competitive.

Yep, I stopped watching in the 2nd qtr. The team was completely not ready to play vs our biggest rival in or out of conf. Inexcusable!

I've generally had a pretty good read on this team this season, both good and bad.

I stated somewhere here on this board that the Illinois game was going to be the bellwether game to let us know what kind of season MT would have. The results were sadly disappointing. In addition to the Illinois loss suggesting that MT would likely struggle just to finish .500, signs were there MTSU could easily lose to vandy. All of that IMO pointed to MTSU likely losing to WKU who's in the middle of their banner year. Being a rivalry game, score predictions and such are usually pointless in either winning or losing. All of that said, MTSU showing up not even ready to play was just poor. WKU looked prepared and ready for MTSU; they looked like a team hungry and competing for a conference championship. In addition to MTSU looking not ready to play, they looked like they had very little preparation.

At this point, it seems an almost miracle win-out the rest of the season is needed for even a remotely good season. A highly improbable only 1 more loss might somewhat salvage the season with a bowl game. After today, I'm not holding my breath for that. After today, I think I've seen too much to where a few wins or even another average season gets me to overlook or forget the mounting problems and blown opportunities.

In the end, they say, lack of fan enthusiasm, attendance, and support lead to coaches being replaced. Unfortunately at MTSU, this reality usually takes 4 or 5 years to effect the final decision makers. After today, I have to wonder if this is now the road MTSU football is on.

I've been a fairly vocal supporter for coach stock. A good chunk of that I credit to coach stock seeming to run a clean and honorable program. After today's latest embarrassing loss, I'd say I'm now moving over to the camp that thinks it is time for a change at HC of MT football. While coach stock seems like a decent and honorable man, certainly there are some good and honorable coaches that can also get MTSU football to better than just average or slightly above average. If history is any indicator, it'll likely take about 4 or 5 years here at MTSU before there are really any big changes.

2023 is looking like a very long time now with the current coaching regime, especially if we don't start improving. Hope season can be salvaged, but its going to take 5-1 now just to do it for 2015. LaTech, Marshall, and maybe UTSA may give us problems in getting there. Thought UTSA wasn't too impressive, but now I'm starting to rethink that too after a narrow loss to the Bulldogs. As I said yesterday, the proof is in the pudding and so far we haven't seen much against quality opposition in 2014 or this year. Jury is starting to get a negative picture.

Reactions: dukewayne
could think of other adjectives and other words to say here, but that sums it up.

I was there through the first half, normally I would be angry, but why I expend any energy on anger when the guys on the field and the coaches weren't expending any energy on the game in front of them. I'm not going to expend any energy getting worked up over the pathetic effort and performance on offense, defense and special teams.

When wku did the on successful side kick while up several scores, all I could is think back to earlier in the season when MT did the same to one of the weak sisters on the schedule. Told my friends Karma is a b****.

It is unacceptable to turn in a performance like that against your rival. There should be some coaches gone at the end of the season. There should be several starting positions lost as a result of that game.

On the way back we was listening to the 'Raider Wrap up show' and made note that no one called in while we had it on. Every one had tuned out.

Space, as you astutely point out, the no callers after the game thing is rather significant, IMO. Anger and frustration are one thing. At least there are fans, and they care enough to be angry. When fans get to a point of apathy and indifference, that is beyond anger and frustration IMO. That is a form of resignation that no matter what the fans do, the outcome will not really change. IMO, that is a troubling development if in fact MTSU fans are to the point of apathy and indifference. Judging by attendance the last few years, it's fair to say that the more casual fans pretty much already feel that way. Even judging by the reaction this evening to today's embarrassing loss, I suspect the attendance problems are likely to get worse.

Don't worry, once the stadium is empty and we are playing crappy teams our offense will drop 70 and Buster's job will be secure

Don't worry, once the stadium is empty and we are playing crappy teams our offense will drop 70 and Buster's job will be secure

You're in full sarcasm mode I'd say. After today's game, who could blame you? At least some good sarcasm can bring a laugh to an otherwise ridiculous situation.

You're in full sarcasm mode I'd say. After today's game, who could blame you? At least some good sarcasm can bring a laugh to an otherwise ridiculous situation.
I was actually being serious....just watch. Next time we play a crap opponent at home in front of 14k we'll drop 70 and run them off the field and everyone will be off Buster's back.

I was actually being serious....just watch. Next time we play a crap opponent at home in front of 14k we'll drop 70 and run them off the field and everyone will be off Buster's back.

Oh, I think I generally was on the same page. Good sarcasm has a chunk of truth at the core of it. Whether you were trying to be sarcastic or not, the way it read to me had the ring of truth and made me chuckle.

I forgot to add, I'd be real surprised if there were anything close to 14K in attendance the rest of the way. Maybe close if some things line up perfectly, i.e. weather, opponent brings a whole bunch of fans.

Reactions: ToddMalone
I forgot to add, I'd be real surprised if there were anything close to 14K in attendance the rest of the way. Maybe close if some things line up perfectly, i.e. weather, opponent brings a whole bunch of fans.

Sorry, I meant announced attendance. We all know there won't be anywhere near 14k watching this team play in Floyd the rest of the year, and honestly, that's the way it should be. This team and staff do not deserve a packed house after this pathetic excuse for a "performance"

Reactions: ToddMalone
I'm usually one of the guys on here trying to stay positive and keep a level head after losses. I tried to stay away for a day to two to let the emotions simmer back down.

But, to be completely honest, I've reached the point of apathy. I don't know if I expected us to win. I think WKU is a pretty darn good team.

But this was another "we're just happy to be here" non-performance. We see it in just about every "big" game we play. I turned the game off well before halftime. The entire team just looked like it didn't want to be there - like "hey, let's get this beatdown over with quick so we can go back to going 6-6".

It's like you already know how the story goes before the season even starts- we go 7-5/6-6. Never really bad, but never really threatening the top teams in conference. We play just well enough to say "you know, we're really close", but never quite good enough to actually do anything of note.

It's performances like this that keep people from becoming invested in the program.

He and the team need to show it then. Gotta win 5 out of 6 with some tough opponents coming up.

Reactions: C-Bow
So does a .500 record career head coaching record reveal a lack of character or talent?

Or does that mean we have talent and lacked character in Bowling Green this past weekend?

When a coach says stupid things like this, its a sign it is firing time. I haven't call for it until today, but its time for Stock to go. We need a change.

Wow!! Are we forced to make a choice between talent and character? We can only have one quality? I want both. Why can't we have both?

Reactions: MT Glenn
Wow!! Are we forced to make a choice between talent and character? We can only have one quality? I want both. Why can't we have both?

That's what I said in one of my recent posts. Certainly, there must be a coach out there that has both good character, honor, and the ability to achieve at a level higher than average or slightly above average.

It seems coach stock is moving over to embattled coach this season. Losing at Alabama, not to many people are going to complain to the point of calling for his job. Blowing close games, and blowing lead vs Vandy is not going to win over the fans. Getting blown off the field by your biggest rival will get people calling for a new coach. Losing a close game vs your rival where your team played good but your rival played better sucks, but fans typically don't turn on you unless they're a terrible team that year and you are a great team that season. Losing like 8 in a row tends to get the natives restless. Whatever the case, MT fans at least expect MT football teams to at least be competitive vs WKU even if WKU is having a banner year. It's the nature of rivalries. It's also the benefit of rivals in conference, one team improving tends to result in other conference rivals improving also in order to keep up with the rival.

While it may not be fair considering circumstances of conference change and the fact MT at least beat Marshall 2 yrs ago and beat WKU last year. Be that as it may, it seems that both Marshall and WKU are able to improve talent and competitively to compete for the conference title while MT continues to stay the same along the lines of average or slightly above average. How come coach stock has been unable to parlay those victories vs Marshall and WKU the past couple of seasons to be one of the teams playing in the conference championship? Same thing in the SBC. First year under coach Stock, it looked like coach stock just might surprisingly win the conf only to choke and blow lead vs Troy. Who knew that was a sign of things to come? Last year in SBC, MT and Ark St headed for end of season match up for de facto conference championship. IIRC, MT did not even show up for that one. What was that final? 45-14 or some such blow out? Outright conf title went to Ark St. All of this to say that coach stock gets teams close, but he can't seem to get them up and over that ledge to the next level of success.

Sadly, I don't know what will be the final direction of the program. Even if people have reached a turning point in wanting a new HC, history indicates MT will take 4+ years to make any sort of move. That's a long time when it comes to watching mediocre football in front of small home crowds.

Something tells me that if things get undeniably bad to even folks over in the Murphy Center, coach stock seems like the kind of guy to retire rather than split and divide the program to try to hang on for a couple of extra years. See: The ole ball coach today.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
I'm just gonna watch and wait for these next six games to see how this staff and team respond in the second half of the season after going 2-4 and being blown out by halftime at WKU. North Texas is the only other game I plan on attending. If nothing changes or, it gets worse, I'll just enjoy my memories of NOLA, Ft. Worth, the FAU Hail Mary and going 5-2 vs. Memphis in the modern era.

It is guaranteed that Stock will be coaching MT or, will draw a check from MT until he's 65. It is what it is.

The problem is, we are half way through the season and our goals are no longer attainable. Ask anybody (Coaches/Players/Fans) before the season started what our goals are. Conference championship, Big OOC wins. Those are the goals for the season. The loss to WKU ensures a CUSA title isn't happening. (There's no way they are losing 2 games at this point. I'd be surprised if they even lost a single game the rest of the year)....

So here we are, just 6 games into the season, and our goals are no longer attainable. As fans, what are we to do? How can these remaining games even be considered enjoyable when they're actually meaningless. Nobody (well, Stock probably does since it's his claim to fame) ****ing cares about going 6-6 and being called "bowl eligible" - With the schedule we play and the amount of bowl's in today's game, being bowl eligibility should be a given for a program like ours.

Stock has been here a ****ing decade and has won all of 1 bowl game and zero conference championships (spare me your co-championship bs). Mediocrity is an absolute death sentence for an up and coming program like ours. If we truly want to be up and coming we cannot settle on a .500 record coach after a decade. I cannot believe Massaro has given this underachiever a life time contract here at MT. Since I started following this program back in 2003 I've never been this uninterested in our program. I didn't even watch our game vs. WKU last week and chose to sleep instead.....I really am starting to wonder if I'm done with this team/program. Zero, zero, zero interest. I already know what's going to happen before it even happens so why bother?

And takes little passive aggressive shots at the program. Anybody else notice how many more posts there are when things go poorly. The folks at tigerhigh.org could only stand it for so long. Let's see how long it lasts. It will get worse.

Reactions: THEBLUERAIDER
FYI, Franklin, this is my definition of fairweather. Someone who stops support or threatens to stop support each year, each game, etc.

Let's get one thing clear. I don't buy season tickets or donate to the BRAA to begin with, so I'm not threatening to stop support of the program because I don't support it to begin with. I quit that after the 2 win season and promised myself I wouldn't until we won an outright conference championship. I personally believe in speaking with my $$$$, and when unhappy and unsatisfied, withholding said $$$$. As fans, that is the ONLY mechanism of action of we have, and I plan to use it. I don't believe in blind, unwavering support because you end up with coaches and athletic directors (and apparently fans) who settle for mediocrity.

Good deal. Do what you have to do.

Question though; why do you continue to come to message boards to talk about the team? You already said you don't support them. Why continue to waste your time?

In Wiley's defense, we do need more fans who at least care enough to keep up with the teams. I truly wish more of our alumni and mid-state sports fans at least kept up with MT.

But, I do wish many more felt an obligation to support the team by buying season tickets, becoming BRAA members and showing their interest in other ways regardless of how you view the programs.

Loyalty, I value it.

Good deal. Do what you have to do.

Question though; why do you continue to come to message boards to talk about the team? You already said you don't support them. Why continue to waste your time?

Just because I don't financially support something doesn't mean I cannot follow and/or have interest in it. You do realize the majority of the "fans" who follow the team don't have season tickets and are not BRAA members, right? Do you have a financial vested interest in everything you devote your time to? I highly doubt it.

Your argument is a sour one. If everyone who doesn't buy season tickets/BRAA membership is "wasting their time" you'd have all of 6k fans in the stands on Saturday. And in reality, the jokes on you, because the only person wasting anything is you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT