ADVERTISEMENT

Dr. Johns has died

I looked on GBR.com for HOF criteria but it didn’t really say much. If you were ever going to induct someone who was neither a coach nor player at MT, Dr Johns would be the one. He gave tirelessly of his time, expertise, & passion to the school for over 40 years. Yes, I know, he got paid for some of that too.
He always seemed to be a mainstay at the conference basketball tournament, and one could make an argument he could have sent someone in his place.
I recall not long after Boots got here a small group of supporters got together at some flea bag hotel near Shelbyville hwy & I-24. To try and form a football specific booster club we called The Kickoff Club. Maybe 12-15 people in attendance. Dr. Johns was one of the few in attendance.
I always said if we were gonna build our own Mt Rushmore of fans/supporters, i would have some combination of Bud Morris, Bob Lamb, Dr Johns, Ken Shipp, Dr Aaron Todd, Dr. Fred Lovelace. Don’t live in TN any longer so am sure I have missed some obvious choices.
Dr. Tom would have been an immense success wherever he chose to put down roots. He chose to come back home and work with the local high schools & university. We were blessed to have him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT