ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Disappointing home loss last night

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
I have rarely seen a performance that bad, Vinko Bogataj ski jump level bad

Love those seniors and hated to see them go out like that.

Hopefully Kermit gets them refocused. It's going to require his best coaching job...

If they were going to have a loss near the end of the season, I'm glad it was last night instead of in the tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Very hard to watch...Marshall out hustled us, they out shot us (especially at the FT line). When was the last time both Johnson and Giddy couldn't hit the broad side of the barn. I also saw the old CKD, frantically moving players in and out of the line up. Having to take King out for his poor D. What a cluster.

We will lose our top 25 ranking on a weekend when multiple teams ahead of us lost. I also think we now have to win the CUSA tourney to get in the dance.

Its weird that both Marshall games we played our worst 2 games of the year.

Great crowd but was a non-factor pretty much the entire game. Every time we got some momentum, Marshall could knock down a three or a two and crash the boards.

You think we are bumfuzzled? Think about the squad, Nick - 3/11 at the charity stripe. I mean...really. A. Johnson - 0/6 from the arc. Just a weird night. Marshall gets all the credit. They took advantage of everything.

Anyhow, I'm not sure we win if we play Marshall again. And I agree with Mike in regards to Kermit. Everytime I saw Kermit, I was whisked back to 2000s where Kermit style was tight and the player rotation was heavy. Nick should have been benched.

Anyhow, the difference from Thursday to Saturday is astounding. I hope we leave that at home before we board a plane to the dumbest location for a conference tournament outside of Madison Square Garden of the Big 10.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Should have guessed we were going to lose from even before the first tip. When the cheerleaders ran around the arena with the flags, they had it spelled "A-I-D-E-R-R-S". Nothing went right the other night.

I'm still thinking the hangover from Thursday night was a big factor. Sometimes, adjusting to big success or good times can be more problematic than coping with adversity and difficult times.

Strangely, I'm almost a little more confident about the C-USA Tourney than I was before the Marshall loss. I also figured MT likely could have lost in the semis or final and still had a high likelihood for an at large bid. Losing at home to Marshall was one of the few things they could not do. I'm not saying an at-large bid is out of reach, but those chances took a pretty big hit the other night.

Food for thought: The last time MT lost to Marshall in a ugly poor performance, MT responded to that adversity incredibly well by going on an 11 game win streak.

I'm still thinking the hangover from Thursday night was a big factor. Sometimes, adjusting to big success or good times can be more problematic than coping with adversity and difficult times.

Strangely, I'm almost a little more confident about the C-USA Tourney than I was before the Marshall loss. I also figured MT likely could have lost in the semis or final and still had a high likelihood for an at large bid. Losing at home to Marshall was one of the few things they could not do. I'm not saying an at-large bid is out of reach, but those chances took a pretty big hit the other night.

Food for thought: The last time MT lost to Marshall in a ugly poor performance, MT responded to that adversity incredibly well by going on an 11 game win streak.

At large bid is gone, period. This loss was huge. I believe we could have lost a first round tourney game with a win over Marshall and still received bid. For a mid major when you lose and win matters. We win, we end up around 19th in the final rankings.

More food for thought: If the team can battle back and go on a nice run to the NCAAs, this little Marshall debacle will be all but forgotten.

Keeping some perspective: At the end of last season, I figured there would be a mild to moderate step backwards for this season compared to the last couple of seasons. With the loss of Williams and Upshaw, I imagine most of us probably had similar expectations.

Kermit and staff have done an incredible job of finding and plugging in players to have one heck of a good season this year. Early in the season, it was pretty obvious the team was going through growing pains in playing Kermit's system and working together within that framework. About midway through the season (the 1st Marshall loss), the team really seemed to start to figure out and play together within the system. Hopefully, the team can recover from this disappointing loss and go on one heck of a run for the Blue Raider record books.

Reactions: Hop45
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT