ADVERTISEMENT

Derek Mason Reaction Thread

well?

I can live with it. I think he can win here if he hires the right assistants.
I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. Let’s see if he can win as a HC at a public school. We wanted HC experience and he has it at an SEC school. DC at Stanford. I think it all depends on staff like Wiley said.

Reactions: Noogaraider1
If it is really him I am so disappointed. There is nothing about him that excites me. Absolutely nothing.

Reactions: Brew_Raider
I'm not against it, but not 100% for it either. Assistants will matter, etc. Oh, and the BUYOUT will matter. I'm absolutely willing to give him a chance.

But seriously, was he on anyone's list?

I think he can win here.

Remember when we played Vanderbilt, how their fast defenses completely locked us down ? We could never get anything going against their defense. He knows how to shut down spread, tempo based offenses.

You see a lot of that in CUSA. I think he can win in this conference with his defense. If he can hire the right offensive assistants I think it's a good hire. He was 2-1 against WKU while at Vanderbilt, with the only loss a 14-12 game in OT in his second year at Vandy.

I wonder if there's any chance we can pull his SEC Network colleague Dan Mullen to be our OC?

That would be insane. Derek Mason on defense with Dan Mullen calling plays on offense ? YES PLEASE

Honestly, he did about as well as anyone could have done at Vanderbilt - multiple bowl games, beat Tennessee several times, wins over UGA, wins over ranked teams. Recruited well.

If this is legit, I don’t have an issue with it.

I'm actually OK with it. The name will draw some headlines, should be able to recruit well at our level. Not what I was expecting, but worth a shot!

Reactions: BRaiderDave
This is not confirmed and not likely to be real. Let’s hold off on judgement. Come on guys… don’t fall for Twitter misinformation.

Reactions: BlueraiderSC
This is not confirmed and not likely to be real. Let’s hold off on judgement. Come on guys… don’t fall for Twitter misinformation.

It was being reported on the radio, I don't see anything on twitter yet

Brent Daugherty and Dawn Davenport mentioned it on air. Said they are trying to confirm. Brent has a son on the MT team for whatever that’s worth.

Vandy's acceptance rate is barely 7%. A huge chunk of athletes across the country couldn't get in. I'm not going to 100% judge a coach on a Vandy record. I'm willing to give him a shot, but as a former SEC coach, regardless of record, he will be on a short leash in my book.
IIRC, athletes used to be enrolled at Peabody to get around academic requirements. Not sure this still happens.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
we might be hoodwinked here....

could still be eddie george

For the people that are against this possibility I ask why? You have to be a special type of elite coach to win anything at Vanderbilt. That being said, why are you so anti-Mason? He checks all of the boxes for Massaro

For the people that are against this possibility I ask why? You have to be a special type of elite coach to win anything at Vanderbilt. That being said, why are you so anti-Mason? He checks all of the boxes for Massaro
I wouldn’t say I’m anti-Mason. Rather, he doesn’t bring the same level of excitement as others. I’d still support the team until proven otherwise but I’m not sure it would be a great improvement over Stockstill.

Also just to note that the radio team mentioned his name amongst others as ones that they had been hearing.

Think Vanderbilt is a hopeless job and don't really take any coach's record there seriously (spare me James Franklin's record, i dont care). I also feel like he is an energetic personality.

That said, perception is reality. This isnt a hire that is going to win over the fanbase (until/unless positive results occur after the fact), which is what the program (and entire department) disparately needs. His stints at Auburn and Ok State werent bad but werent great; mostly there just isnt enough sample size at either stop to draw a conclusion. Not a hire I would prefer, and one that unfortunately feels on par with leadership's reputation.

It does not excite me, but I do not hate it. Not even sure I dislike it. The more I think about it, he was a really good DC, had a few OK seasons at Vandy. Who does win at Vandy? They were absolutely brutal for decades until Bobby Johnson got there. Then they were decent. James Franklin came in and took them to new heights. Then Derek Mason arrives and does about the same as Bobby Johnson did. It could work.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
All I have to say about this rumor is it would be one of the most classic Middle ways to totally screw up the hire.
This, if true, is so F'n TONE DEAF. A loser coach at a local rival. Can't believe this would be true. These F'n people spent 18 years with a mediocrity and to replace him with this????

F Massaro, F McPhee, F Smith.

Hey, Blue Raider fans….remember the coach that went 0-9 in his last full season as an head coach and had a 10% worse winning percentage than Gerry DiNardo at Vandy? We are bringing him to MBoro. Get excited fans and give to the BRAA!

We are going to pay him more than Stockstill to hopefully double his all time winning percentage, which would mean he goes 8-4 here!

Of course, if he is 20% more successful here than Vandy, we are essentially paying hundreds of thousands more for Stockstill results.

EATT lives!!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SpaceRaider
hopefully I was premature creating this thread.....but it was being reported on the radio so what the hell....

lets continue to hope for someone else. I want Dan Mullen

hopefully I was premature creating this thread.....but it was being reported on the radio so what the hell....

This is exactly the type of decision I would expect McTerrible to make. But I will keep my fingers crossed. This would be so bad.

No to all 3.

Eddie and Will have a losing records. And it’s impossible to go 8-8 in college football so that rules Jeff Fisher out

Wait, is Dan Mullen a real possibility?! I would give my right hand for that Coach.

I do find it interesting Dan interviewed at Syracuse for their HC job, so he is definitely open to coaching again.

Dan is very good at developing talent, but terrible as a recruiter. If Dan finds a situation where he has good recruiters as assistants, he would absolutely kill it.

But sounds like it D Mason.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
Mullen has been broadcasting for 2 years....if he's going to get back into the game I feel like it's gotta be now or never. Not a ton of gigs open...it's a possibility.

Let's all agree it's hard to win at Vanderbilt. Congratulations Mason you sure as heck successfully fit in well with all of the other losers over there.
I will point out it's not incredibly easy to win at FAMU either. Willie Simmons sure broke the mold on that one though, & very quickly.
If the administration wants to make a statement with this hire, fine! Statement away, but make the best decision for MT's future.
If we wanted a coach with head coaching experience make sure it's a successful one we can get behind & say "yes, here's a winner!!"
If those are the parameters we should have gone with Willie Simmons.
I'm so done with the game playing of this administration. Congratulations to D Mason, but this does not grab attention to the fan base.
As expected Massaro's press conference statement about what we were going for was all bs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT