ADVERTISEMENT

LADY RAIDER BB CUSA Tournament Championship: Middle Tennessee (27-4, 18-2) vs Western Kentucky (19-12, 14-6), CBSSN, 4:30PM, Saturday, March 11, 2023

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Founded: 1906 Enrollment: 16,750
Colors: Red & White Nickname: Lady Toppers
Series: Series tied 34-32 (from Feb 26, 1977 - Feb 9, 2023)
Facility: E.A. Diddle Arena
Head Coach: Greg Collins Record at WKU: 67-50 (4) Overall: Same
2021-22 Record: 18-12 2022 Postseason: None
Starters Ret./Lost: 4/1 Letterwinners R/L: 8/4

GoBlueRaiders.com, Murfreesboro – WGNS 101.9 FM / 1450 AM, Smyrna – WGNS 100.5 FM – The Varsity Network App

Saturday, March 11 | 4:30 p.m.
Frisco, Texas | Ford Center at The Star
Watch: CBS Sports Network

Last edited:
SERIES HISTORY (from wku game notes)

Overall Middle Tennessee leads, 48-34
Series began 1924-25
Last meeting 2/9/23
Current streak Loss, 2
Last Lady Topper win 2/26/22 (97-93 OT)
Last Blue Raider win 2/9/23 (94-81)
Against MIddle Tenn at home 24-16
Against MIddle Tenn away 9-29
Against Middle Tenn at neutral site 1-3
Against teams from Tennessee 125-119

LAST FIVE MEETINGS
1/23/21 Bowling Green L, 77-60
1/29/22 Murfreesboro L, 71-64
2/26/22 Bowling Green W, 97-93 OT
12/31/22 Bowling Green L, 80-75
2/9/23 Murfreesboro L, 94-81

Big time matchup today against our biggest rival… think they’ll be motivated!

The score for those top 7 Lady Raiders in the previous games, both wins for MT which was not at full strength either time...

Wheeler - / 37
Gregory 26 / 19
Whittington 4 / 13
Whitson 15 / -
Boldyreva 4 / 13
Malashka 19 / 4
Blakley 8 / 5

Last edited:
Will have to rely on a lot of adrenaline from our top players. Gregory had a great game, but also played 40 minutes yesterday. Others play a minimum of 30-35 per game. 3rd game in 3 days & we don't use a big rotation. Not sure how many WKU rotates, but they have played us tough both games & are good shooters.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Boldyreva needs to stop fumbling with the ball when rebounding. Stop playing hot potato. Shorter WKU guards just stripping it out of her hands
And get up off her feet more. She's got the size and skill, just gotta get stronger I think

Reactions: MTFAN61
We are shooting really well from 3, but that's a product of the defense WKU is playing. They're trying to defend the paint which is leaving our players wide open 3s.

What a QUARTER!! Blakely is absolutely on fire. 32-16 in those 10 minutes, incredible performance. 47-31 at the half. Keep this up!

Reactions: tyler90wm
Great defensive effort this half, really made WKU work incredibly hard every time down the floor. Malashka destroying it inside. Are we sure she doesn't have some eligibility left?

• Haha
CBS halftime show impressed by the Raiders, saying win or lose we should be in no matter what - "resume speaks for itself." I agree! But we want that "cherry on top" as she said!

Great defensive effort this half, really made WKU work incredibly hard every time down the floor. Malashka destroying it inside. Are we sure she doesn't have some eligibility left?
If only!! LOL

Very nice to see; doubt we can sustain that all game but what a great 2nd quarter!

Yep, AWESOME quarter. I like it but I was at Western last year when we were up big in the 4th so let's dominate the 3rd and break their spirit. Ironically and switching gears, seeing the half time show they are talking about how we should be in yet nothing is certain until our name is called. While I want to leave no doubt with a win, I would hate to see that Mercer game haunt us. Hearing coach talk about that one, they put a stop watch on the final series and the last 5 seconds took over 6. In addition, the player who spearheaded it was playing with five fouls. In the event something crazy happens and we are out because of that, it's gonna sting hard.

Too much wild passing in the end of this quarter. Gotta get the composure back.

Not taking care of the ball again. Up 17 but Western is very capable of making a run. Keep our heads screwed on and at least play even for the next five minutes and we will be hard to catch.

I see Hayes made the all-tournament team. It will be interesting to see if she stays at Western with her family history. She is definitely talented and from what I saw at least, didn't seem to have the attitude issues some of her other family did. Then again, she did quit the team her senior year of high school. If she does WKU, UTEP and Middle are going to have some battles next year. That's next year though. We are the ones wearing dancing shoes this year!

I see Hayes made the all-tournament team. It will be interesting to see if she stays at Western with her family history. She is definitely talented and from what I saw at least, didn't seem to have the attitude issues some of her other family did. Then again, she did quit the team her senior year of high school. If she does WKU, UTEP and Middle are going to have some battles next year. That's next year though. We are the ones wearing dancing shoes this year!
Would def be great for the conference to so you don't feel like you have to win the tourney to get in. Hopefully C-USA will be well represented in the NIT

One thing Rick said is absolutely correct, he wants more of a post presence to open up the outside game. And when the kick out happens it opens things up for Malashka on the interior. 1 serves the other. I've been critical about too many quick consecutive 3's & lack of time outs being used effectively. But in this I totally agree with him. That 2nd quarter was a prime example. Hopefully we can get more quarters like that going in the big dance.

We had 18 turnovers in this one. If we had half of that, it would've been a 30 point win, at least. Seems to me that we are hitting our stride.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT