ADVERTISEMENT

CUSA Expansion

ewglenn

Oct 6, 2021
I would like to stay at 9 members for the foreseeable future but there have been a lot of talks about adding teams. I was curious what everyone would think about Chattanooga as an option? How bad do you think they would hurt our recruiting? Do you think the rivalry aspect would outweigh the cons? What do you see as the pros and cons to adding the Mocs?

While I want this to mostly be about a potential Chattanooga add, I’m also curious how you would feel with EKU and Kennesaw St, as potential teams.

I would like to stay at 9 members for the foreseeable future but there have been a lot of talks about adding teams. I was curious what everyone would think about Chattanooga as an option? How bad do you think they would hurt our recruiting? Do you think the rivalry aspect would outweigh the cons? What do you see as the pros and cons to adding the Mocs?

While I want this to mostly be about a potential Chattanooga add, I’m also curious how you would feel with EKU and Kennesaw St, as potential teams.
Of the three teams you've mentioned, here's my ranking :
1) Chatt
2) EKU
3) KSU

Chatt and EKU are closer (facility wise) to FBS than KSU, but I have questions if UT would allow UTC to go FBS.

I think Stephen F Austin and Tarleton State will be the CUSA targets in the west.

EKU and KSU have plans to move to FBS that was the plan with the move to the ASUN. If you want to make a splash and get two schools over 25k in attendance, that would bridge the east west gap and the gap to FIU. I would do FAMU and Jackson St.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Yes.
I like Chattanooga too. Solid add. UTC would keep our admin in check with the local arms race.

EKU and KSU have plans to move to FBS that was the plan with the move to the ASUN. If you want to make a splash and get two schools over 25k in attendance, that would bridge the east west gap and the gap to FIU. I would do FAMU and Jackson St.

Reactions: Raiderman1
I’m actually surprised to see this many people for Chattanooga. I would have thought the potential loss in recruiting and allowing another G5 TN would have ruffled some feathers. Personally I think they have a lot of potential if they moved up. Decent sized city that could generate some buzz. They would make a great travel partner for JSU. They would also add three schools within busing distance for us. That would help with travel a good bit.

Reactions: Demsar Fashist
There is no one worth adding. Nothing really wrong with the names being thrown out in this thread in the event that new members are *needed*, but as that is not the case, not much to be said.

Ideally its a moot point as Memphis is gone to Big12 and we're in the AAC.

Bowlsby is retiring from Big12, so who replaces him should decide our fate.

Ideally its a moot point as Memphis is gone to Big12 and we're in the AAC.

Bowlsby is retiring from Big12, so who replaces him should decide our fate.
I wouldn't be overly confident about going to the AAC personally. Memphis may or may not be actively against us joining whatever conference they're in and we very well may make the most sense of the five left behind from CUSA 3.0, but what have we really done in the last five years to really feel good about from a resume standpoint?

I wouldn't be overly confident about going to the AAC personally. Memphis may or may not be actively against us joining whatever conference they're in and we very well may make the most sense of the five left behind from CUSA 3.0, but what have we really done in the last five years to really feel good about from a resume standpoint?
Dont hear me to say its a done deal, but my hope is that we dont even have to worry about CUSA expansion as our eyes are on jumping ship to a better conference.

I say that but I am actually excited about CUSA hoops if we do stay, so if we add any school I would want them to be a good BBall school. UTC had a great year, but its abnormal.

I live in Chatt now and they do have ok facilities. Finley stadium is one of the better in FCS and the Roundhouse is a better than average Bball stadium. Middle is on a higher plane than UTC however.

Having lived in the Chattanooga area for 34 years. I would applaud their addition.... As far as hurting our recruiting, it may effect the Georgia athletes... Maybe, Big Maybe, our staff will start recruiting the Middle Tennessee area for once... The number of DI players in Middle Tennessee has increased dramatically in the past few years and the coaches I know are VERY DISAPPOINTED at their lack of effort to even give their players a look...

Reactions: Raiders_55
This is painful. Nashville and Middle Tennessee are one of the hottest fastest growing areas in the country, and somehow MTSU leadership has seemed to find a way not to capitalize on this growth.

Recruiting? All to often there are reports that MTSU coaches are not actively recruiting the region of Middle Tennessee.

Having lived in the Chattanooga area for 34 years. I would applaud their addition.... As far as hurting our recruiting, it may effect the Georgia athletes... Maybe, Big Maybe, our staff will start recruiting the Middle Tennessee area for once... The number of DI players in Middle Tennessee has increased dramatically in the past few years and the coaches I know are VERY DISAPPOINTED at their lack of effort to even give their players a look...
Having read many of your posts about how you haven't enjoyed watching MT basketball in recent years would you have honestly given CNM or his staff much of your time or truly endorsed MT for one of your players before this season?

My guess is that you (and many other local coaches familiar with MT) would say the right things and waste the staff's time while pushing your kids to go elsewhere recently- nothing wrong with that given the poor results the previous years.

I think as the culture changes and the expectations come into play the bball staff will always give attention to any kid that they think will help them win games and that they think is interested in MT.. CNM took several local Avl area kids and passed on many others.. you already know that CNM and his staff don't send out shotgun blasts of offers to 10+ kids each year like CKD/staff- they're much more selective than CKD was and you'll find that their time/energy is more authentic and genuine..

What is worse- not showing interest in kids you know you don't want or playing politics and wasting people's time? I'm not saying that there aren't quality recruits in any local area- but for every 10 D1 kids out there- 8 of them want to be away from their parents at least a couple hours drive.... so the ROI (time/energy) can be poor with local D1 bball recruiting in general

Last edited:
Reactions: subkyle
I knew I should have clarified about football being coaches frequently mentioned for not recruiting locally.

Especially with signs of MT bball on the rebound, I'm actually pretty hopeful about the job CNM and staff can and will do on the recruiting trail.

The university in general , and leadership, has been missing the opportunity of the phenomenal growth occurring all around the university.

Having read many of your posts about how you haven't enjoyed watching MT basketball in recent years would you have honestly given CNM or his staff much of your time or truly endorsed MT for one of your players before this season?

My guess is that you (and many other local coaches familiar with MT) would say the right things and waste the staff's time while pushing your kids to go elsewhere recently- nothing wrong with that given the poor results the previous years.

I think as the culture changes and the expectations come into play the bball staff will always give attention to any kid that they think will help them win games and that they think is interested in MT.. CNM took several local Avl area kids and passed on many others.. you already know that CNM and his staff don't send out shotgun blasts of offers to 10+ kids each year like CKD/staff- they're much more selective than CKD was and you'll find that their time/energy is more authentic and genuine..

What is worse- not showing interest in kids you know you don't want or playing politics and wasting people's time? I'm not saying that there aren't quality recruits in any local area- but for every 10 D1 kids out there- 8 of them want to be away from their parents at least a couple hours drive.... so the ROI (time/energy) can be poor with local D1 bball recruiting in general
I need to clarify my post. The recruiting I was referring to was MT football... I should have been clearer....
As for the BB recruiting... I honestly have not thought in that realm... Not having a close tie with HS athletes in a few years, the chance of anyone asking my opinion would be next to nothing...

I am not sure about anything regarding conferences anymore.
No school would have declined an invite to CUSA from the sunbelt in 2012. Here we are 10 years later with schools abandoning CUSA for the belt.

I can’t put the blame on CUSA with M&M. The conference is just under bad leadership and we got stuck. I don’t count AAC as our destination. Nothing is a given. I just want to win championships. Wouldn’t it be awesome to be known as a champion rather than a member?

I am not sure about anything regarding conferences anymore.
No school would have declined an invite to CUSA from the sunbelt in 2012. Here we are 10 years later with schools abandoning CUSA for the belt.

I can’t put the blame on CUSA with M&M. The conference is just under bad leadership and we got stuck. I don’t count AAC as our destination. Nothing is a given. I just want to win championships. Wouldn’t it be awesome to be known as a champion rather than a member?

We fared reasonably well in the Sun Belt and there were few Wright Waters fans in Murfreesboro...

Perhaps you may be correct but I would like to think that for greater than 20% of potential players playing in front of friends and relatives who have followed those players in high school would be a factor.
I do agree that you don't want to waste time recruiting players you can't get. As a MT coach told me once: "The worst place to be in a recruiting battle is 2nd place"
As for recruiting local high school basketball players to MT: I'm old school. I still remember that Rick Mount sold a huge number of season tickets in Lebanon, Indiana to Purdue when he signed. We can't expect such fan interest in any player we might get but local players do, IMHO, increase media coverage and fan support.
In my perfect world at least one major contributor would be from Rutherford Co., one from Nashville, and one from somewhere else in the mid-state. (and from a much different time: an unnamed MT BkB coach once told be that for the program to take off we needed a Caucasian star player from Nashville - not sure anyone would admit that is a valid point today)
To my point: I believe that a coach at MT (and similar schools) must do some of what I call "complementary recruiting" of every local player with D-1 potential. I don't care if a player is a 5 star and being recruited by every elite program in the country you still try to meet with the kid, his coach, and his parents to let him know you are aware of him and would like to talk more if he is interested.
You never know what a players might decide to do, you don't know how having a relationship with that coach might help get a player later who is a good fit, etc.
Regardless, I agree winning is much more important than where the player come from and we have to get the best we can get. I get that but I will continue to believe all recruiting should begin locally and then expand outward.

...........To my point: I believe that a coach at MT (and similar schools) must do some of what I call "complementary recruiting" of every local player with D-1 potential. I don't care if a player is a 5 star and being recruited by every elite program in the country you still try to meet with the kid, his coach, and his parents to let him know you are aware of him and would like to talk more if he is interested.
You never know what a players might decide to do, you don't know how having a relationship with that coach might help get a player later who is a good fit, etc........

This 100%. Especially today with the portal. If that kid goes to an elite program and sits or isn't happy and wants out in the portal, he is gonna remember we talked to him.

That's why I've always said you should talk to them no matter what. I'm not saying offer, but make the effort to at least develop communication.

I think running summer team camps and/or player Elite camps effectively can accomplish much of this as well- you gain some time/rapport with coaches and depending on the recruiting period can have some conversation with players.. all of these types of things simply takes time

Not crazy about Chattanooga. There's got to be better targets out there. Then again, looking at who we just added, maybe not.

Hopefully, we do get into the AAC if Memphis makes it to the B12. Or maybe we backdoor into the 'Belt if the AAC picks someone from the 'Belt.

With the state of our leadership, it's entirely possible both those conferences will probably take Chattanooga over us.

Too bad I don't have any eligibility left! I was 3-1 vs DBU in my collegiate career back in TX. My fastball was so slow, they couldn't wait long enough to put good wood on it! This was back in the DBU NAIA days. Had a very strong program back then too!

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Why would DBU want to change conferences? It can't be to join a conference with stellar leadership.

Not crazy about Chattanooga. There's got to be better targets out there. Then again, looking at who we just added, maybe not.

Hopefully, we do get into the AAC if Memphis makes it to the B12. Or maybe we backdoor into the 'Belt if the AAC picks someone from the 'Belt.

With the state of our leadership, it's entirely possible both those conferences will probably take Chattanooga over us.
They averaged around 7500 a game last football season but that’s “reported”. Ours was 12,315 “reported” but we all know what our crowds look like for the FCS openers and by the time we get to Senior Day. It ain’t 12,000.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT