ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL CUSA Championship Game, it's Middle Tennessee vs UAB

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
excerpt:

...The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders and UAB Blazers will face of in the Conference-USA Championship Finals this Saturday afternoon at Legacy Arena.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders (19-15) used a big second half to upset the UTEP Miners 53-50 to advance to the finals of the C-USA Championship. Middle Tennessee State, who earned the 6-seed with a 9-9 conference record, has been able to defeat the 3-seed Old Dominion Monarchs along with the 2-seed UTEP Miners on way to the Finals. The Raiders shot 35.7% (5-14) from beyond the arc and 73.3% (22-30) from the free-throw line in the victory. Leading the way for Middle Tennessee was Perrin Buford who had 17 points and 5 rebounds. The Raiders are ranked 151st in the RPI Standings and have played the 140th ranked SOS. The Raiders have been led by Reggie Upshaw Jr. (10.3 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.5 apg) and Perrin Buford (7.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg). Middle Tennessee is averaging 64.1 ppg (ranked 260th) on 41.7% (ranked 266th). The Raiders average 6.6 three-pointers per game (ranked 145th) on 35.5% three-point shooting (ranked 122nd). Middle Tennessee is holding opponents to 62.3 ppg (ranked 70th) on 43.8% shooting (ranked 216th). The Raiders are averaging 6.2 spg (ranked 184th) and have a rebound a margin of 3.3 (ranked 73rd).

The UAB Blazers (18-15) upset the 1-seed, Louisiana Tech Bulldogs, 72-62 in OT to play for a chance for an automatic bid in the NCAA Championship. UAB earned the 4-Seed in the conference championship with a 12-6 conference record. UAB held Louisiana Tech to 12.5% (3-24) from beyond the arc and outrebounded the Bulldogs by a 39-26 margin. Leading the way for the Blazers was Tosin Mehinti who had 12 points, 10 rebounds and 2 blocks. UAB is ranked 165th ranked in the RPI Standings and has played the 121st SOS. On the season, the Blazers have been led by Robert Brown (12.8 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 3.0 apg) and Chris Cokley (8.0 ppg, 4.7 rpg). UAB is averaging 68.6 ppg (ranked 141st) on 42.7% shooting (ranked 211th). The Blazers shoot 74.7% from the free-throw line (ranked 21st) and average 13.7 turnovers per game (ranked 273rd). Defensively, UAB is allowing opponents to average 68.1 ppg (ranked 227th) on 42.3% shooting (ranked 136th). The Blazers average 5.2 bpg (ranked 18th) and pull down 36.34 total rpg (ranked 74th).

The Blue Raiders are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 vs. the Conference USA and 4-1-1 ATS in their last 6 games following a ATS win. The Blazers aver 13-3 ATS in their last 16 games following a ATS win and 14-6 ATS in their last 20 games overall.

Both Middle Tennessee and UAB pulled off upsets to reach the Conference USA finals and a chance to win an automatic bid into the NCAA tournament. UAB was able to defeat Middle Tennessee in both matchups this season (54-49 @ MTSU; 100-95 (3 OT) @ Home). UAB struggled towards the end of the regular season however, has found their rhythm in the conference tournament. Middle Tennessee has been one of the more solid programs in C-USA as of late, and even though they were supposed to take a step back this year after losing their top four scorers from last year, they've found a way to make it to the Championship game this year.....

This post was edited on 3/13 10:36 PM by SpaceRaider

Regardless of what happens tomorrow this team has by far exceeded my expectations this year. Kermit has done one hell of a coaching job, probably his best yet.

We really have something to look forward to with so many contributors coming back next year.

goblueraiders.com

GAME INFORMATION
(FULL GAME NOTES)[/B]

Championship Final Match-Up[/B]
Date: [/B]Saturday, Mar. 14
Time:[/B] [/B] 2:30 p.m. CT
Teams[/B]: #6 Middle Tennessee vs #4 UAB
Arena: [/B]Legacy Arena at the BJCC (8,500)
TV: [/B]Fox Sports 1
Talent: Joe Davis & Mike Jarvis
Radio:[/B] [/B]ESPN Nashville The Game (97.5/102.5) WGNS (1450/100.5/101.9) WMOT (89.5)
Play-by-Play: [/B]Chip Walters
Color:[/B] Kyle Turnham
TOURNAMENT NFORMATION
Live Stats[/B]

MT meets UAB in C-USA Championship Final

Didnt we just play UAB a few weeks ago at their place in a tight game? I hope they do discount us. I really wouldn't bet against us today. We are on a roll, I don't understand "how" we are on a roll but we are. This is such a big game for us. Can't wait till tip off.

My pre-game thoughts:

Positive attitude. Focus. Calm determination. That's the order of today.

No fans expected the 2014-15 Blue Raiders to be here today. We salute you for your accomplishment!

This is your shining moment, Blue Raiders. The C-USA Championship is before us.

It can be ours, if we are sure of our execution and continue work hard on our defense.

Give it a good 40 minutes.

Don't worry about the NCAA seeding; will take care of itself.

Together, we win!!

I think we're in for a barn burner today. These two teams played each other very tight in the previous two meetings this year. Should be fun to watch.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I love our position. We have nothing to lose. UAB has beaten us twice. All the pressure is on them.

I really want to go to this game but I just had back surgery so I ask all of my brethren out there that are going:

YELL YOUR HEADS OFF FOR ME!!!!!!

If you had told me back on January 4th as I was watching a 7-6 MT team lose 54-49 to a 4-9 UAB team, that I was watching a preview of the C-USA championship game, and furthermore that DJ Jones would be leading the Raider charge, I would have never believed it in a million years.

That's why college sports are so much fun. Go Raiders!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Regardless of the outcome today this has been an example of just how much a team can improve during a season and also just how much can be accomplished if no one cares who gets the credit. So much to be proud of.

And I'll echo Raiderclyde: It's easy to count chickens before they hatch and start worrying about NCAA seeding before winning today. I've already imagined the lowest 16 seed for whoever wins (realistically I would hope for just a little higher for either UAB or us) combined with a meeting with the Cats but what the hey; I would have taken a C-USA tournament trophy along with a butt whipping from UK in a minute a few days ago. always want more - easy to get greedy

Let's just focus on playing in front of what I imagine will be the largest and most hostile crowd we've played in front of in quite a while and send their fans home unhappy.

Get-r-done

We are running out of gas! Can we ever win a tournament, even when the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd seeds are out! Frustrating!

Raiders played well today. UAB just could do no wrong. Proud of the boys in blue today!!

Originally posted by Hop45:

Raiders played well today. UAB just could do no wrong. Proud of the boys in blue today!!
Agreed, we did play well; UAB just played better. They hardly missed a shot and they also dominated inside with their big men. It's okay, though. We made a great run and accomplished more than most thought we would. Kermit will return a good nucleus for next year's team. I think the future's bright for our men's bb program. Go Blue!

Originally posted by JohnDavidBlue:
is UAB leaving CUSA?That is the assumption. Bylaws say you have to have football. I think everybody is willing to see if they bring it back if they don't I don't think membership will let them stay.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT