ADVERTISEMENT

Cruz Exposed Trump's Biggest Weakness in a Race Against Hilla

bigbadjohn45

All American
Jul 9, 2010
Cruz Exposed Trump's Biggest Weakness in a Race Against Hillary
February 26, 2016

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: In terms of substance? I disagree with Chris Wallace. I think there was substance in this debate last night, and depending on what you want -- depending on what you were hoping to see and then what you think going forward -- there's really only one candidate in this debate last night which was chock-full of genuine policy-oriented substance, and that was Cruz. And I happen to know, folks...

I hear from people constantly, as you can imagine, and I hear from you even on the phones. But there have been people during the entirety of this campaign who think that Trump is a pretender, that he really doesn't know much about what all this is about, that he's getting by on the cult of celebrity and other things in our pop culture that people get excited by and attach to. There have been people who say, "We've gotta expose Trump. Trump's gotta be exposed. He doesn't know what he's talking about. He doesn't know conservatism.

Trump-Cruz-0225-B2.jpg

"He doesn't know policy. He's just up there saying things that sound good in a populist sense." So what Cruz did last night was essentially expose that. If that's what you think needs and has needed to happen, Cruz did it last night. And probably the best way to illustrate how it happened is, one of the fears that a lot of anti-Trump people have is he's not really even a Republican. And they keep talking about all of his donations to people like Chuck Schumer and the Clintons.

Trump's response was, "Hey, look, you know, I live in New York City and they run the show there, and I'm in business, and there are certain things you have to do to get things done. You have to work with these people. But I'm a Republican." And he's made it clear, and he's tried to make that point over and over again. But Trump found last night Ted Cruz illustrating that. (summarized) "Look, if you think we have to beat Hillary Clinton, Trump's not the guy to do it. Trump cannot go out and hit Hillary Clinton on any of the things that she has done, any of her corruption, because he has contributed to her.

"He has donated. All that would have to happen," Cruz says, "is for Trump to hit Hillary in the debate and Hillary, and all she's gotta do is say, 'Donald, I don't know what your problem is. You donated to me to do this exact thing. So I don't know what your problem is now.'" And Cruz said, "We can't nominate somebody who donated to her." It's akin to the people that said we shouldn't nominate Romney. "If we nominate Romney, there's no way we can get Obama on Obamacare because Romney invented it in Massachusetts.

"Romney gave us Romneycare, and the guy that wrote Romneycare then turned around and wrote Obamacare," and it took Obamacare off the table as far as Romney's concerned. He couldn't hit it because there's a retort, "What do you mean you don't like Obamacare? You wrote its father. You implemented and signed into law its father, Romneycare. What are you?" And Cruz's point was that same set of circumstances with Hillary are going to occur.

Because it can be demonstrated that Trump's donations to the Clintons over the years -- including to the Clinton Crime Family Foundation -- have facilitated political move that Hillary Clinton has made. So the people who have wanted Trump exposed, that was pretty substantively done by Cruz. On the Rubio side, what Rubio did was literally just laugh at Trump all night, literally made fun of him, mock him. Not act frightened or afraid of him, and not be worried about ticking off his supporters, either.

A first for both.

END TRANSCRIPT

Related Links

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT