ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Coaching carousel...

MTsumner92

All American
Jul 31, 2005
Hendersonville
The hunt for new coaches is red hot now. Schiano offered the job at Tennessee but now pulling the offer? Meanwhile....the quiet offensive genious over at Washington State that took over a dumpster fire 4 years ago is not even mentioned for the job. Frost is available? Mullins to Florida? South Carolina fires offensive co-ordinator. Anything happening in C-USA?

Frost will go to Nebraska. South Carolina does need a better offense. Leach's team really tailed off towards the end of the year so I think his stock went way down because of it.

I think the Rice coach will be/should be fired. UTEP is looking for a new coach since firing theirs during the season. Wouldn't be surprised if Charlotte made a move. MT's Rick Stockstill is sitting on a red-hot seat, but fortunately for him his contract is more fire-proof than a NASA heat shield so he isn't going anywhere any time soon regardless of the results in Murfreesboro.

Chip Kelly takes the UCLA job.
Arizona St. fires Graham but wants Sumlin.
Arkansas is gonna fire it's coach.
The list keeps growing.

From what I've heard Schiano was about their 5th choice. UT is a dumpster fire. I hope this plan backfires on them and they end up with a high school coach.

Amazing events today. The passion of vol fans forced utk to retreat on schiano. I doubt that Schiano ever gets a college head coaching gig in today's environment.

MT is 1A for me, but as a UT alum, UTk is 1B.

I will say that as a die hard college football fan since 1996 - this is the craziest thing I've ever seen. I have no idea who UTk is going to end up with. I can't see any coach with any other decent option going anywhere near that flaming wreckage.

And if we think we have trouble with our AD not listening - this was the most tone deaf decision i've ever heard of. I listen to sports talk a bunch here in Knoxville, and they've been talking coaching search for almost 2 months. And the only potential hire I can recall generating almost unanimous hostility and negativity was the mention of Schiano - and the AD done went and did it.

This is going to affect them for years.

Good thing we have Coach Wet Cardboard and the Yay! for Bowl Eligibility AD to take advantage of it.

...This is going to affect them for years.....

I don't see that. Just like the guy who burned his season tickets last week and then showed back up for the last home game for MT, vol fans will return to the fold, donors will open their wallets, and all will be good in the world, whoever the coach is, now, even if it isn't Gruden...

I don't see that. Just like the guy who burned his season tickets last week and then showed back up for the last home game for MT, vol fans will return to the fold, donors will open their wallets, and all will be good in the world, whoever the coach is, now, even if it isn't Gruden...

If he wins.

But this is a team that needed a home run, and what home run is going to near that place. Any coach is going to start off with two strikes against him on day 1 simply because he's not Jon Gruden.

They're going to end up overpaying for some meh G5 hire or a lifelong assistant, and hope they get lucky. Odds are, they won't.

Reactions: MT Glenn
If he wins.

But this is a team that needed a home run, and what home run is going to near that place. Any coach is going to start off with two strikes against him on day 1 simply because he's not Jon Gruden.

They're going to end up overpaying for some meh G5 hire or a lifelong assistant, and hope they get lucky. Odds are, they won't.

I believe, with the exception of Lane Kiffen, utk has fired every coach since Doug Dickey...no one finishes well at utk.

I think utk needs to go beg Cutcliff from Duke to come over and steady things. Or, ask Tee Martin. I think they need someone in the family.

I do think they need to lure Cutcliffe back. Big money folks would like it, solid citizen, head coaching experience, could heal wounds. He could stick around for another 6-7 years and then retire. Maybe by then the program would have rebounded enough to attract a more splashy hire.

I believe, with the exception of Lane Kiffen, utk has fired every coach since Doug Dickey...no one finishes well at utk.
To be fair, there are two types of coaches : coaches that have been fired and coaches that will be fired.

Jimbo Fisher to TA&M is what i am hearing. Also....Rice is looking hard at South Carolinas OC since he played ball there. They fired their coach today btw....

I don't know exactly what it is, but the UT world has a problem with head coaches. It's not just football either. Anyone else remember their fiasco with their last basketball HC? He was having a decent season, but it wasn't good enough. The crowd was calling for him to be fired. He then went on to end that season with a great run with success in the NCAA Tourney. Then it was suddenly time to extend his contract. He ended up saying no and took a HC job out in the PAC-12.

I know, OP. Isn’t it great to not have all this coaching search drama every couple of years? To have a head coach with a long-term comfortable contract and a staff full of assistants that are riding it out to retirement? To have a schedule every year that guarantees six wins and Bowl eligibility?
Makes me proud. Not too successful, not too crappy. Just right in the middle of the pack. Go Blue!

UT has some of the worst fans out there. Unrealistic expectations for an average program. Just ask their recruits. Many recruits have come out and said the fans have played a factor in them not signing with UT.

I don't know exactly what it is, but the UT world has a problem with head coaches. It's not just football either. Anyone else remember their fiasco with their last basketball HC? He was having a decent season, but it wasn't good enough. The crowd was calling for him to be fired. He then went on to end that season with a great run with success in the NCAA Tourney. Then it was suddenly time to extend his contract. He ended up saying no and took a HC job out in the PAC-12.
Now he's at Mizzou with an incredible roster.

If he declined in 2012 why would he accept now? Tennessee is in much worse shape now and I'm not aware of Gundy feeling any heat out there.

My feeling is that Gundy is using this as a way to get more $$ from OK St. I can't see him leaving his alma mater for that dumpster fire.

My feeling is that Gundy is using this as a way to get more $$ from OK St. I can't see him leaving his alma mater for that dumpster fire.

Gundy doesn't get along well with their AD or Boone P. It could be that he knows he had his best team ever this year and couldn't win the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT