ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Catching up with Coach Derek Mason

I posted on X how I love this. Super simple 2min talk but it gives that connection to us. If he did this once a week it would do WONDERS. Would love to see other coaches do it too. They all can afford 2min a week to say "hey, we had great practice this week, everyone is healthy. We are prepping to leave Thursday for UTEP" Etc.

Would love video reveals of uniform combos too. Our media students could easily come up with some great ideas.

I like this too. A simple picture but it shows everyone working together and says hey, we are here to build and grow.

I really hope the social media posts stay this way. It's been needed for a long long time.

I agree, I hope they continue to give us a glimpse into the program. The fan base is eating it up and they are doing a great job. Maybe Rick didn’t want the fans to see what was going on because they’ve really flipped a switch.

I made the $50 deposit on my season tickets. I wasn't fully on board about doing that without the price for season tickets being known, Who realistically puts money down with the final price not being known for whatever they're buying? Did it anyway but seriously whatever response they are getting, I would think might be better if the price was already set.

I totally agree! This is part of the gig. Reaching out and connecting us to the programm. For all the crap Deion Sanders gets, He connected and each home game was sold out and they brought 16.5 million dollars to the local community in Boulder each weekend. Connection. That's all it is. If we feel connected, we will be a part of it. No matter how I felt about the hire, this guy is winning me over. Hell, he's already done more than Stock did in his whole tenure when it comes to community outreach.

Last edited:
Totally different energy Mason is bringing. The end of the video with him in the parade is a good example of what we have probably been missing for years. Does anyone think Stock would run side to side on the street shaking hands?

little things that can have an impact. I like the start of this. Let’s hope it all translates to what matters.

I made the $50 deposit on my season tickets. I wasn't fully on board about doing that without the price for season tickets being known, Who realistically puts money down with the final price not being known for whatever they're buying? Did it anyway but seriously whatever response they are getting, I would think might be better if the price was already set.

Agreed. They should have the full price ranges posted at the minimum.

A noticeable difference between MT and other FBS schools is we use Ticketmaster versus Paciolan.

Most schools will let you renew tickets or pick your new seats, with full price and any donation requirements right now.

Given our low ticket sales in the past, they could set aside single game ticket sections for TTU game right now. Have a family 4 seats for $50 with drink and popcorn vouchers. Don’t want to invest in season tickets yet, no problem, buy 2 for $25 or 4 for $50 in sections XYZ for CDM’s first game against old instate rival TTU.

Also, here’s a 3 game pack for $50 / ticket. Get TTU, Duke and WKU tickets for $50 per person.

They are missing marketing opportunities that I’ve seen other schools capitalize on after a coaching change.

Agreed. They should have the full price ranges posted at the minimum.

A noticeable difference between MT and other FBS schools is we use Ticketmaster versus Paciolan.

Most schools will let you renew tickets or pick your new seats, with full price and any donation requirements right now.

Given our low ticket sales in the past, they could set aside single game ticket sections for TTU game right now. Have a family 4 seats for $50 with drink and popcorn vouchers. Don’t want to invest in season tickets yet, no problem, buy 2 for $25 or 4 for $50 in sections XYZ for CDM’s first game against old instate rival TTU.

Also, here’s a 3 game pack for $50 / ticket. Get TTU, Duke and WKU tickets for $50 per person.

They are missing marketing opportunities that I’ve seen other schools capitalize on after a coaching change.
How much were they last year? I know I'll be at TN T and Duke. Depending on when WKU is I may come there too. Thinking with me coming to three games that season tickets would make more sense. I'm sure they'll raise a bit from last year.

The man is doing everything right so far.

He's doing exactly what needed to be done in an effort to get a program that was in a coma off of life support. Now, the only question is can he actually win FB games as a HC and produce a conf title? If that happens we will look back and know that we could not have made a better hire.

He's doing exactly what needed to be done in an effort to get a program that was in a coma off of life support. Now, the only question is can he actually win FB games as a HC and produce a conf title? If that happens we will look back and know that we could not have made a better hire.
Willing to give him a pass for 2024 and 2025 as long as they play hard and show improvement. Winning a title is going to be an uphill climb as long as Liberty is here, they're a G5 with P5 money

The recruiting news this past week has been great compared to what we've seen in the past. LOVING the energy and engagement from Coach Mason and his staff.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Willing to give him a pass for 2024 and 2025 as long as they play hard and show improvement. Winning a title is going to be an uphill climb as long as Liberty is here, they're a G5 with P5 money
Bingo. I view '24 as a wash. Want to see improvement in '25. By '26 we should be in the hunt.

Reactions: Noogaraider1
Every coach that excels flips the script and makes the transition year happen by the second year - not the third. Agree we won't contend in '24, but '25 is absolutely doable if we have the right man. Especially with the portal.

Y'all had that long thing on Deion. It was never going to happen this year, but watch them next year. If you look at other good or great coaches they are double digit win teams in year 2.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Another one this week. I love this stuff.

I commented on another thread about how this would be a make or break month here.

Stock only had 5 commits throughout the season. CDM is on pace to double -- only been employed 12 days, btw. I like Mason's work in the portal so far, especially with the guys he recruited or coached at previous stops. We'll get to see a discounted version of what his talent evaluation/development will look like in '24.

Every coach that excels flips the script and makes the transition year happen by the second year - not the third. Agree we won't contend in '24, but '25 is absolutely doable if we have the right man. Especially with the portal.

Y'all had that long thing on Deion. It was never going to happen this year, but watch them next year. If you look at other good or great coaches they are double digit win teams in year 2.
Don't disagree but if Middle is only 6-6 in '25 I don't view as a sign that they have the wrong guy. Mason hasn't been a HC for 3-4 yrs so he's building a staff from scratch while trying to sign 30-40 kids. Even if Mason is the right guy, double digit wins in Year 2 would take everything going right and that's just not reasonable due. If Middle was a P5 it's a different story maybe. 10 wins would take running the table on everyone not named Wisconsin or Liberty

When's the last time we got a 5 star recruit? We got one today (P from Tullahoma)

I don't know why yall think 2024 is a wash? It will depend on what he gets in these 40 ships and how he coaches. It's CUSA, this thing can flip real easy.
40 scholarship signees is half the roster and building a winning culture takes time. Also a non-con of Ole Miss , Duke and Memphis. If Mason can win 8 games in Year 1, you certainly won't hear me complaining

40 scholarship signees is half the roster and building a winning culture takes time. Also a non-con of Ole Miss , Duke and Memphis. If Mason can win 8 games in Year 1, you certainly won't hear me complaining
This is why I won't complain over a bowl next year. Yes that is a low bar overall, but for a first year coach replacing nearly half the roster, a new DC and possibly a new OC, I'll be happy bowling. That is what I mean when I say wash. We have a tough OOC schedule but overall it is still all favorable. Open with a FCS for once, one of our P5s is Home and also with a new staff. Our G5 is only a bus ride away. WKU is also at home and we might get Kennesaw as well.

Like Fisch at Arizona and even Norvell at FSU. Albin at Ohio
Fisch 1-11, 5-7, 9-3
Norvell 3-6, 5-7, 10-3, 13-0
Albin 3-9, 10-4, 10-3

I don't want to start with a losing season necessarily, but moreso I want improvement year to year. Not the stagnation we've had the last decade.

What we don't want is like Huff at Marshall
7-6, 9-4, 6-6

I will say off the field so far, CDM has 10000% done everything right.

he gets it done year one with a CUSA championship. Liberty is good but they aren't unbeatable either..standstill played them within a score

Reactions: ewglenn
I don't know why yall think 2024 is a wash? It will depend on what he gets in these 40 ships and how he coaches. It's CUSA, this thing can flip real easy.

Realistically, we just have to be honest. We lost the whole defense. He only has two weeks before signing day. Just because you have 40 doesn't mean you can find 40 who can help you. I'm impressed with what we've seen today, but even if he duplicates that tomorrow, a .500 season next year would be a pretty major coup given the losses, lack of time to recruiting, etc.

But a full year to install the culture, tap the portal, develop some of the guys who stayed '25 can be a contention year. It's not like this is the SEC.

Stock’s best 5 year stretch was 36 wins, 27 in conference and a championship game appearance. Stock’s first 5 years was 33 wins and 25 conference wins with a 10 win season.

We should be better than Stock’s first 5 years and hopefully better than his best 5 seasons. If we have less ~35 wins, don’t have any 9+ win seasons and don’t at least make the CUSA championship game once, then DM is just another Stock or worse.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Gonna pump the brakes on expectations for a few reasons :

1) Recruiting seems to be well, but CDM has roughly ~40 scholarships available.

2) He’s done a good job of recruiting some BIG guys on the OL, but most HS OL guys will need a RS / year in a college strength program to be ready to play on this level.

3) He still needs to replace several guys for THIS YEAR (portal spots) along the the DL, secondary, OL and probably another WR.

4) The staff is still incomplete. Who, what, and where will make a big difference in how things go.

Don’t get me wrong. He’s done ALL the right things, but there’s a LOT of work that needs to be done.

Gonna pump the brakes on expectations for a few reasons :

1) Recruiting seems to be well, but CDM has roughly ~40 scholarships available.

2) He’s done a good job of recruiting some BIG guys on the OL, but most HS OL guys will need a RS / year in a college strength program to be ready to play on this level.

3) He still needs to replace several guys for THIS YEAR (portal spots) along the the DL, secondary, OL and probably another WR.

4) The staff is still incomplete. Who, what, and where will make a big difference in how things go.

Don’t get me wrong. He’s done ALL the right things, but there’s a LOT of work that needs to be done.
5) I'm really interested in HOW CDM adapts to MT current / incoming personnel vs how he recruits to get HIS personnel. MT probably doesn't have the horses to run a traditional "pro-style" scheme right now. Which is why recruiting a few more JUCO / portal guys with some beef is so important for 2024/2025 so these HS guys can get a RS year under their belt. Does MT have the enough TEs on the roster NOW or will they need a signee to contribute in 2024

On defense : MT lost a LOT here, but even before the portal losses & graduation, I'm not entirely sure how MT's personnel fits CDM system & what he needs for things to run smoothly. Could be an interesting year or two as CDM gets HIS guys in place.

Reactions: ewglenn
I'd be pumping the brakes big time. We lost all starting DL and half the 2 deep along with most of our LB's. Havn't seen a single DL signed outside of that young undersized DE sign. I don't care about all these finesse positions we are signing.

Where are the men up front, inside the tackles, front 7 war daddies defense ? That is where games are won and lost and I've yet to see any of them with this class.

I'd be pumping the brakes big time. We lost all starting DL and half the 2 deep along with most of our LB's. Havn't seen a single DL signed outside of that young undersized DE sign. I don't care about all these finesse positions we are signing.

Where are the men up front, inside the tackles, front 7 war daddies defense ? That is where games are won and lost and I've yet to see any of them with this class.
The only other guy we have committed in the front seven is OLB Chris Thomas. He is a bit undersized but should be a good player for us.

It’s a little surprising that Mason being a Defensive minded coach with a good resume in terms of coaching at bigger programs, can‘t pull back some of the guys that entered the portal. Our defensive position coaches and defense coaching talent has been upgraded, but we still can’t keep guys that were here before?

They have to go to add from the portal then.

It’s a little surprising that Mason being a Defensive minded coach with a good resume in terms of coaching at bigger programs, can‘t pull back some of the guys that entered the portal. Our defensive position coaches and defense coaching talent has been upgraded, but we still can’t keep guys that were here before?

They have to go to add from the portal then.
the defensive guys that entered the portal, that has found a P5 home is getting a bag of money

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT