ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Best MT road trip you have experienced?

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
Could be any sport... When I first started writing for Casey, I went to the game out in Columbia, to see MT face Missouri on Missouri's homecoming.

Here is that story.

As you guys know MT spoiled Mizzou's homecoming and toward the end of the game the MT section got rowdy

Reactions: Noogaraider1
Football…early 1990’s against Nebraska in Lincoln. Great fans who treated us to to drinks wherever we went. Raiders made a game of it…may have even had the lead at halftime

Not much of a road trip but I was in the band in 2005 when we went to Vandy and handed them and Jay Cutler their first loss of the season (I think). The energy on our side after the blocked field goal was incredible. Also I remember going into the stadium and their fans chanting “pump our gas”. Just funny looking back

• Love
Reactions: Predarat
Tough to pick one. I have been to Hawaii twice (football and Lady Raider basketball) and any trip to the islands has to be near the top. Also hard to beat the experiences when Boots took his 1-AA teams to Nebraska and Florida State and "actually competed" against some of the nations top teams. There was the night at Austin Peay where Lake Kelly got the mic and told us the "shut up" and another night at Tn. Tech with Bruce Stewart at the wheel and he kept the pedal down, hanging 114 on the hated Golden Eagles. And the thrill of victory at Memorial as Mike Buck caught fire and we defeated FSU in the NCAA Tournament is close to number one. But I think the most satisfying for me was actually one of the shortest trips - our first trip to Vandy in the 1A era where Hicks was a freight train and Counts picked them apart. At that time, I thought we had arrived. The local media was all over the game and program excitement was all around. While Vandy was low hanging SEC fruit, I thought it validated our decision to move up and that the future was bright. Meanwhile 20 something years later I am wondering what the heck we are doing.........

Last edited:
Tough to pick one. I have been to Hawaii twice (football and Lady Raider basketball) and any trip to the islands has to be near the top. Also hard to beat the experiences when Boots took his 1-AA teams to Nebraska and Florida State and "actually competed" against some of the nations top teams. There was the night at Austin Peay where Lake Kelly got the mic and told us the "shut up" and another night at Tn. Tech with Bruce Stewart at the wheel and he kept the pedal down, hanging 114 on the hated Golden Eagles. And the thrill of victory at Memorial as Mike Buck caught fire and we defeated FSU in the NCAA Tournament is close to number one. But I think the most satisfying for me was actually one of the shortest trips - our first trip to Vandy in the 1A era where Hicks was a freight train and Counts picked them apart. At that time, I thought we had arrived. The local media was all over the game and program excitement was all around. While Vandy was low hanging SEC fruit, I thought it validated our decision to move up and that the future was bright. Meanwhile 20 something years later I am wondering what the heck we are doing.........
Was there to see Mike Buck go crazy. If I remember correctly I think it was his career best game of around 27. Ranked Florida St led comfortably at half time, but Buck came out after halftime & hit everything leading MT to a 97-83 victory I believe. Still Middle Tennessee's highest scoring volume NCAA game in its history.

I posed this question since I was thinking about MT's 2023 OOC slate...Includes At Bama and At Mizzou

I've been to Marshall, Charlotte twice, and Blacksburg. Fun experiences but I've never sat with other MT fans. Getting tickets for away games through MT isn't managed very well. Availability isn't posted, have to call instead of online, etc. I also wish BRAA had a get-together for every away game. Maybe they have and I didn't know.

My work schedule now allows for more trips so hopefully I can make some more games. It hurts losing Marshall and Charlotte as they were opposite years and I was guaranteed to never have to drive more than 2.5-3 hrs tops. And I don't fly so if I can't drive, I'm not going.

Reactions: ewglenn
I haven’t done an away game yet. We are going to try and make the Missouri game this year.

I posed this question since I was thinking about MT's 2023 OOC slate...Includes At Bama and At Mizzou
Been on many road trips following the Blue Raiders and all memorable in their own right, just not a lot of wins.
Took a cab from my hotel in Boca who dropped me off in the parking lot at the old FAU dump not knowing what to expect. Two MT alums from Tampa pulled up in a Jeep and let me tailgate with them. Great time. Many stories about that night have been told on this board.
Motor City Bowl was fun as it was our first.
All three road victories at Vandy were memorable and satisfying
Between the hedges in Athens has one of the best college in game experience I have been to and would go back again with no dog in the hunt. Wifey is a Dawg fan so it was a blast for her to go back. Had a blast in downtown Athens after the game
The best road trip has to be Clemson. Beautiful campus, people were great to us, and atmosphere was awesome

On the other hand, a couple no so memorable
Took a long BRAA bus ride to and from Jonesboro Arkansas with great expectations on to get curb stomped and another long drive to Starkville. Why anyone would go there is beyond me. Has nothing to offer and you will despise the cowbell.
Fun Times

2009 New Orleans bowl was an epic bowl win but nothing will ever top knocking Kentucky out of the NCAA tournament in Nashville. Our fans would have been happy to walk back to the Boro that night Just to keep the party going!

Reactions: SpaceRaider
GaTech! By far for me. That was a crazy experience to watch Benny go full throttle beast mode and the one handed Amos catch too. Vandy in 05 when we crushed Jay Cutler's bowl dreams. That was awesome. Dasher running all over Memphis was great too. Those are some of my favorite road games back when I still did that sort of thing.

Football: 2009 New Orleans was memorable. The first and last vandy MT wins in Nashville, also.

Been to Starkville, Oxford, Tuscaloosa, Knoxville. Those were meh. Enjoyed my two trips to Illinois. Been to Las Cruces, UConn, Boise, Chattanooga, EKU, and WKU and most of the old ovc opponents and ut-martin back in the early 70s, too few wins to make me want to do it again. I've sworn off non-vandy road trips until we have a new coach.

Basketball: NCAA trips in 1977, 1982, 1987, 1989 were cool. The wins over Kentucky and Florida State were fun. Several road trips to wku back in the ovc days. The 102-95 win in the mid 70s was memorable. So was the last ovc tourney wku's last season in the ovc where MT won the title. Was in Murray, Clarksville, and Cookeville to many times to keep up with. Someone mentioned the blowout win by Bruce Stewart's team there in Hooper Eblen. I honestly would have stayed to the end even if MT had a bigger winning margin. I despise wku and vandy, but I really hated TN Tech at that time.

Also followed MBB to Colorado, Portland, OR, Albuquerque, Starkville, Chattanooga, Kentucky holiday tourney, Louisville, Denton, TX, UAB, and more I'm sure I can't recall at the moment.

Several.

None in football in the last 10 years. My son was in little league for GA Tech win or I would have been there.

2009 Nawlins was a great trip.

Making an impromptu trip to St. Louis with my son to watch us take down Michigan State was like no other.

Looking forward to future road trips when the football program gets its moxie back.

Last edited:
Several.

None in football in the last 10 years. My son was in little league for GA Tech win or I would have been there.

2009 Nawlins was a great trip.

Making an impromptu trip to St. Louis with my son to watch us take down Michigan State was like no other.

Looking forward to future road trips when the football program gets its moxie back.
Surprised you are the first to mention Michigan State

GaTech! By far for me. That was a crazy experience to watch Benny go full throttle beast mode and the one handed Amos catch too. Vandy in 05 when we crushed Jay Cutler's bowl dreams. That was awesome. Dasher running all over Memphis was great too. Those are some of my favorite road games back when I still did that sort of thing.
I didn’t count it as a road game because it was more like a trip back home for me. Dasher’s Freshman debut in 2007 was a good one for me too. Watching the disgusted look on West’s face from behind their bench was pretty funny. 😂

I live in Minnesota so the Gopher game. The alumni association even setup a call with one the coaches prior to the game. (Sadly, don't remember who)

Not much of a road trip but I was in the band in 2005 when we went to Vandy and handed them and Jay Cutler their first loss of the season (I think). The energy on our side after the blocked field goal was incredible. Also I remember going into the stadium and their fans chanting “pump our gas”. Just funny looking back
I was at that game too and man what an exciting atmosphere. Those were the good days, when hope and pride existed.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Not what you asked, but I'm hoping to make the Duke game in Durham next year. I've been to Chapel Hill (for a Miami-UNC game) and to Cameron Indoor (for the NCAAW tourney last year), but never to Duke for a football game. Football in North Carolina is a ton of fun though, so I'm excited about it.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT