ADVERTISEMENT

Article in Tennessean on why Vandy plays MT/WKU

Ok, I just added a comment....I think. Vandy being all butthurt is sort of enjoyable due to the fact that so many of their fans see themselves and Vandy athletics as superior to area state schools. Everytime they lose to MT (or WKU), they are disabused of that notion. Then, they all butthurt. If they wouldn't take themselves so seriously, they could see some reasonable benefits for playing such games. The problem isn't perception of SOS vs MT or WKU, it's that they usually lose these games. That's their problem; the rest is just denial and excuses.

I can get pretty aggravated in a similar manner regarding basketball and Belmont. The old perception sometimes lingers of them being a small NAIA school that MT has no business losing when playing them. Reality is that Belmont has developed nicely at a low-major D1 level. Actually, quite successfully developed. A mess of tourney appearances that most any program would be jealous of obtaining. Admittedly, they are usually a pretty low seed that is sent home after briefly scaring a national power in the first round. That's pretty respectable considering their development in D1. So, my problem is not so much with Belmont as it is MT just needs to beat them. The winner of that ooc game usually can get a little helpful RPI boost out of the game. Unlike football with MT & Vandy, I'm not so sure about the boost in attendance for an OOC game in bball with Belmont. Nor does the game seem to garner all that much additional Nashville media coverage. So, not as many positives. There are some positives there nonetheless if you can just win the game. Again, positives, it can help with RPI, and dedicated fans can easily attend home or away games in the series. Lastly, I'd rather MT at least play a program like Belmont and lose rather than avoiding them because of being scared that you will probably lose. At least then you can face the problems and try to get better so that your team can dominate the series. Sadly, this is taking a little longer for MT than I would prefer. Win baby, just win!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT