ADVERTISEMENT

Art Briles to MTSU

If given the opportunity would you take a chance on Art Briles at MTSU (head coach)?

• Total voters
100%. With two caveats...
A sensible buyout. Just in case things go south so the school isn't stuck. One we can live with paying but also decent enough if things do go well and he's hired elsewhere.

Second, a contract that protects us. Not that the same thing would happen again here, but from a public standpoint we have to have provisions in place. Need to avoid things going how Grambling went down.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
From our perspective we automatically think a former successful college coach would love a chance for redemption by coming back, & maybe he would.
Read that one of the things he loves about his current situation is the simplicity of his life in Italy. Zero harassment from anyone in Florence about his past, & at almost 70 he still gets to do what he loves most (coaching football) in a beautiful Tuscan city with no pressure even if it's typically in front of only 500 fans.
Been a number of years since the Baylor scandal. Pretty surprised some smaller fbs school hasn't made a coaching offer yet.
At 69 do schools think Art's gotten too long in the tooth to bring on board now? Still one hell of a coach, he took over a really bad team there & in an upset won Italy's football title this past year.
It's been a number of years since the Baylor scandal, & there were a lot of people involved. Some think he was as much a scapegoat as he was guilty of an attempted cover up.
I would be ok with giving him a shot here, I'm just not sure that in his present situation & age Briles would be interested in giving MT the same. Interesting to speculate on though.

I would look for a coach that has been in the south before that had success at a G5 or FCS HC... Sumlin, Holtz, Reggie Barlow, Tee Martin, Chad Morris, Hatch, Kerwin Bell, Jerry Mack, HC at SEMO, DJ Smith.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
I'm fine with talking to Briles, but I'd reach out to someone like Kendall or Jeff Lebby (both have worked with Briles & both have a family connection). See if either one of them could convince dad / dad-in-law to make the move to TN as off-the-field staffer / consultant type. Lower risk, high reward.

Lots of good names in this thread.

I'll never agree that with our location, budget, (new) facilities, fan base (we do exist) that we don't have the potential to win relative to our peers.

A guy like Frost, or Briles - a system guy who can get the most of out lesser talented rosters, can and will win here.

Moot discussion though.

Lots of good names in this thread.

I'll never agree that with our location, budget, (new) facilities, fan base (we do exist) that we don't have the potential to win relative to our peers.

A guy like Frost, or Briles - a system guy who can get the most of out lesser talented rosters, can and will win here.

Moot discussion though.
Genuinely hope I'll be around long enough to see it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT