ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Let’s turn the page to Murray State

I'm calling 38-10 or so. Line around -25 so we will cover.

I'm hoping to see some young guys in by the 2nd half or midway 3rd at least. Try some new schemes. Throw and see what sticks. We absolutely have to clean up some mistakes and penalties. Our open field tackling needs some work as well.

We need to smoke those turkeys.

Bama was Bama, and while we should be past the point of moral victories, I came out of the Mizzou game more positive then negative.

The Stockstill story is inconsistency. Clobber Miami, get blasted by the next 3 G5 opponents. And we won't talk about the record vs FCS schools, yet manage to go to bowl after bowl.

If they want to write a new story, these are the teams we need to beat by 40 and have it over by halftime.

MT 44
Murray 10

Hope we are able to use the Murray State game to tune up fundamentals and establish our 2s and perhaps even 3s in some positions to prepare us for conference season. Unlike basketball, Murray has not experienced good fortunes in football in recent years. Their coach, Dean Hood, used to be at EKU (a few years post Roy Kidd) and won a OVC championship about 14 years ago. Should be a fairly routine, perhaps easy work as long as we play smart and well as we did at Missouri. On the other hand, I remember a Murray State team coming into Murfreesboro in 1995 with their All-American running back Derrick Cullors (sp) and earned a shutout in front of our home crowd behind the coaching of Houston Nutt. Think the score was 0-34 Racers and the was the last time a shutout happened with visiting team winning. Murray was ranked as high as #4 back in 1995 as I remember. In any event, we need to look good in this game. If we look good, the score could be something like 52-20 Blue Raiders with Murray picking up a TD or two with our #2s or #3s playing in the game late.

I seem to recall Murray State being one of the top teams in 1AA back in '81(?) and MT beat them in Boot's first winning season.

MT needs to win by 40 or 45 points, dominate early and get the fans involved and excited. CRS needs for his team to put on a show.

I seem to recall Murray State being one of the top teams in 1AA back in '81(?) and MT beat them in Boot's first winning season.

MT needs to win by 40 or 45 points, dominate early and get the fans involved and excited. CRS needs for his team to put on a show.

Vaguely remember the Murray-MT game back in 1981; I attended with my older cousin who was then a freshman at MT. Most of the day was trading out punts and neither team moved the ball well--defensive game that seemed more like watching paint dry. Many of our players were young and relatively inexperienced versus a well-seasoned Racer team. Guess Dennis Mix was on that team, he was either a Junior or Senior and Kelly Potter would have been a freshman? I don't remember many names of the players. Seemed like we made a goal line to eke out a win. Think final score was 14-9 and amazingly we won. I felt that game was the 1-2 signature games which springboarded the Blue Raiders into a OVC contender for much of the eighties...it put us on the map! Murray's OVC Championship came in 1986 following MT's 11-0 undefeated 1985 regular season. Know we stubbed our toe the year after (both 1981 and 1986 saw MT having 6-5 overall records, but the atmosphere felt worlds apart).

Murray's best overall year in football (I think) was in 1979 when Mike Gottfried coached. That year the Racers won an OVC Championship but ironically EKU and Roy Kidd won the NCAA 1-AA National Championship in their playoff run and Murray lost their opening round game at home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT