ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Announcer: Coach Standstill

dukewayne

All American
Jul 11, 2008
Anyone else catch that on the tv broadcast? 1st half, I think. TV game announcer referred to coach stock as coach standstill. It seemed a pretty apt description for the football team, sadly.

With the new coaches in C-USA, it was obvious that coach stock would not have all of the cupcake wins in conference to achieve "bowl eligibility." I was guessing that it would likely take 2 or maybe 3 seasons before the FxU teams turned things around and started hanging loses on MT. With FAU today, it didn't even take 1 season. 1/2 season is all it took for Kiffin. Technically, not even half the season!

Look, we are down three of our most important players and have lost our two top RBs - all of these losses on offense. Can we not rinse and repeat the same message over and over again. Nobody would handle the injuries any better. Your rant makes sense if we had all these guys playing but we don't.

I know this is a big if, but if we can grab a win next week we will be 3-3 and still in good position with a bye week. In our best season we were 3-3 after 6 games and went on to win 10 games...so why don't you wait at least a bit longer.

Lastly, FAU has NEVER been a cupcake win. I think all the game aside from a few have been hard fought games.

Being without James and Brent is a legitimate excuse, but it seems like we always have a legitimate excuse that we have to use after disappointments.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Being without James and Brent is a legitimate excuse, but it seems like we always have a legitimate excuse that we have to use after disappointments.

We were also with out Brady on the D. I don't think we have had many legitimate excuses like the this year.

I get it, I think its clear where we are with CRS. Its hard to see that we can get better than 7-8 wins a year and we should have won a conference championship by now. At the same time, we are graduating 96% of our players and winning some. CRS runs a clean program. What people don't realize, things could actually get a lot worse. I just prefer to save that argument for the off season.

Meanwhile, we have a lot of MT fans that don't give anymore, that don't come to games and consistently come on line to complain. It just gets old. I am sure its much more fun to go to Knoxville, pay $70 a ticket and watch them get drilled by UGA. As for me, I am all in at MT and will be for life. I don't believe in this support the team only when they are doing what you want - Our entire culture is "Whats in it for me" and its carried over into how and who you support from a sports perspective. To the many that have quit on the program, you really don't have any influence or access to make changes - its like you think your holding the program hostage and does it make you feel good to constantly criticize everything?

No Mike, it is not from a perspective of "whats in it for me". For me, it is a perspective of I have 6 people under my roof so every dollar and every bit of time is extremely valuable. Having a person locked up as a coach until 2024 making that kind of money demands more than a barely .500 W/L percentage. Me not attending another game is the free market speaking and I have no problem with that. While thankful that he graduates his players, I don't understand the fact that coaches should be lauded by running a clean program. Clean programs should be a requirement for academic institutions.

This year, injuries have done us in but it seems like it is always "wait till next year".

I will be in the Murphy Center come November.

No Mike, it is not from a perspective of "whats in it for me". For me, it is a perspective of I have 6 people under my roof so every dollar and every bit of time is extremely valuable. Having a person locked up as a coach until 2024 making that kind of money demands more than a barely .500 W/L percentage. Me not attending another game is the free market speaking and I have no problem with that. While thankful that he graduates his players, I don't understand the fact that coaches should be lauded by running a clean program. Clean programs should be a requirement for academic institutions.

This year, injuries have done us in but it seems like it is always "wait till next year".

I will be in the Murphy Center come November.

So its win or you don't get my money...this isn't pro sports. These are college students. They are amateurs. Surely its about more than winning.

So its win or you don't get my money...this isn't pro sports. These are college students. They are amateurs. Surely its about more than winning.
Oh, definitely. Mediocrity aside, that's why at least to me it's important to remove a so-called "head" coach who sits on the sideline with his arms crossed most games and does not even talk to his team. Great example of leadership, this guy is.

This isn't about the athletes. It is about a program that requires a lot of money to keep it going and the stagnation that keeps it from improving.

We were also with out Brady on the D. I don't think we have had many legitimate excuses like the this year.

I get it, I think its clear where we are with CRS. Its hard to see that we can get better than 7-8 wins a year and we should have won a conference championship by now. At the same time, we are graduating 96% of our players and winning some. CRS runs a clean program. What people don't realize, things could actually get a lot worse. I just prefer to save that argument for the off season.

Meanwhile, we have a lot of MT fans that don't give anymore, that don't come to games and consistently come on line to complain. It just gets old. I am sure its much more fun to go to Knoxville, pay $70 a ticket and watch them get drilled by UGA. As for me, I am all in at MT and will be for life. I don't believe in this support the team only when they are doing what you want - Our entire culture is "Whats in it for me" and its carried over into how and who you support from a sports perspective. To the many that have quit on the program, you really don't have any influence or access to make changes - its like you think your holding the program hostage and does it make you feel good to constantly criticize everything?

For me it was about rewarding mediocrity. Plain and simple.
mempiss state has sucked for the majority of their football existence... is it because the AD's were rewarding mediocrity or were they mot very good at finding winning head coaches?

And did you support them through their years of pathetic play?

Reactions: SpaceRaider
mempiss state has sucked for the majority of their football existence... is it because the AD's were rewarding mediocrity or were they mot very good at finding winning head coaches?

And did you support them through their years of pathetic play?
Ooooh we're a bit sensitive tonight.

Well, do you all feel better bitching here? We get it, you don't like CRS. You want us to win more - and sharing the same feeling over and over on the weeks we lose does exactly what? If you all really feel this way, why don't you start a campaign to have him fired. Why don't you get pledges to share with Massaro that if he lets CRS go the program can advance....do something, anything but please stop telling us whenever we lose how coach doesn't care, how we will never win.

Either do something or just go away...it gets old.

Reactions: BlueRaider95
BlueRaiderDave and I were texting each other watching the Memphis UCF game until the wheels came off. He had already switched off the Blue Raiders. Bad day for errbody except for Peay

Agree with a lot here. We do have a lot of "backseat" fans that like to dog pile on bad situations but a lot to be frustrated over. Her are just a couple things.
The good
  • Graduating kids
  • No real off field issues
  • Consistently in the 7-8 win range
The bad
  • No championships in Stocks tenure
  • Terrible bowl performances
  • A lot of coach speak and little enthusiasm
We are also now forced to play a big boy out of conference schedule to pay the bills. Challenging times and easy to point fingers but we have been able to have consistency. I think it's a big headscratcher a to the amount of juco kids we've brought in that don't play and the bad recruiting on both lines of scrimmage. My 2 cents.

BlueRaiderDave and I were texting each other watching the Memphis UCF game until the wheels came off. He had already switched off the Blue Raiders. Bad day for errbody except for Peay

Man, UCF has weapons all over the place. If they can handle Memphis like that, I think they can play with just about anybody. The UCF/USF game is gonna be a heck of a game.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
There’s a lot to unpack in these posts:

Can they get worse? And if they do, is it that big a deal?

Is there a huge difference between 7-6 and getting blown out in a bowl game on the other side of the planet that no one cares about (including the staff and players) and going 4-8?

The game has changed. You're either advancing as a program, or sinking. And treading water is the same as sinking. You can see it in the fan base. Even bad teams can sell hope for the future. What’s our draw? “Come see a .500 team!” doesn’t sell.

And you can poo-poo it all you want, but the murderer's row of money bag games we're lining up is a direct result of increasing fan apathy.

I never get the "it can be worse" line of thinking. It also could also be a heck of a lot better.

Stock's had his shot. We never got to the next level. Thanks for the good times, here's a gold watch, it's time to let someone else give it a go.

If you never swing the bat, you might draw a walk. And that's fine. But you'll also never hit a homerun.

I don't like the "do this or else" mentality that sets in from time to time either.

But what else can we do? Tweet to Massaro? Change.org?

I’m in Knoxville, so I see first hand what’s going on here. All in all, Butch Jones hasn’t done a terrible job. They’re 3-2, have bowl wins, 9 win seasons, some high character kids, and built up the UTk program from a trashpile. And he’s still going to lose his job this year because the fans demand more, and are voting with their wallets and with their righteous anger.

That program is one of the heavy hitters in the SEC, and needs to act like it.

We should be one of the heavy hitters in CUSA, yet we’re far from it, and the only people who seem to care all that much are on this message board. What’s wrong with this picture?!?!?!?!?

It’s clear that there’s a significant disconnect between the fans and the AD. It’s clear that the AD is not in line with the fan base’s expectations for this program.

And another thing – while I don’t believe it’s reasonable to demand results, I think it’s perfectly reasonable to demand effort.

After all, if I’m giving you my money, I expect you to at least try to be competitive for championships.

I don’t see that with this program. All I see is mediocre results, and condescending attitudes towards fans that give their hard earned money.

I don’t think they care about putting out a championship level team. I simply don’t.

It’s “thanks for your money, I’ll enjoy my trip to Hawaii, see you next year”.

If you want to continue to sign up for that, good for you. If that’s what you believe makes a superior fan, then you are it.

Well, do you all feel better bitching here? We get it, you don't like CRS. You want us to win more - and sharing the same feeling over and over on the weeks we lose does exactly what? If you all really feel this way, why don't you start a campaign to have him fired. Why don't you get pledges to share with Massaro that if he lets CRS go the program can advance....do something, anything but please stop telling us whenever we lose how coach doesn't care, how we will never win.

I’ve been watching college football at multiple levels for over two decades – I’ve never seen a scenario quite like this, where there’s been a failure to achieve any significant results for over a decade, there’s significant fan unrest, and the AD just fails to respond in any way shape or form.

Here’s the thing, you really REALLY don’t want us to go away.

Because anger is a heck of a lot better than apathy. You can get an angry fan back. It’s almost impossible to get a person who’s stopped caring back on the bandwagon. A person who’s stopped caring has found other things to do. That person is gone forever.

You’re right, a lot of this is not productive. I understand it can get old reading the same old gripes.

But doesn’t that tell you something? If you have been reading the same old complaints for years and years, maybe, just maybe, we’re right?

Then don't read it. Plain and simple

What a silly request to ask people to go somewhere if they don't tow the party line. Go look at SEC message boards...we are lightweights on criticizing staff.

Anyhow, I'll be back around basketball season.

That isn’t what I asked. I asked you to do something. Disappearing is apathy.

There’s a lot to unpack in these posts:

Can they get worse? And if they do, is it that big a deal?

Is there a huge difference between 7-6 and getting blown out in a bowl game on the other side of the planet that no one cares about (including the staff and players) and going 4-8?

The game has changed. You're either advancing as a program, or sinking. And treading water is the same as sinking. You can see it in the fan base. Even bad teams can sell hope for the future. What’s our draw? “Come see a .500 team!” doesn’t sell.

And you can poo-poo it all you want, but the murderer's row of money bag games we're lining up is a direct result of increasing fan apathy.

I never get the "it can be worse" line of thinking. It also could also be a heck of a lot better.

Stock's had his shot. We never got to the next level. Thanks for the good times, here's a gold watch, it's time to let someone else give it a go.

If you never swing the bat, you might draw a walk. And that's fine. But you'll also never hit a homerun.

I don't like the "do this or else" mentality that sets in from time to time either.

But what else can we do? Tweet to Massaro? Change.org?

I’m in Knoxville, so I see first hand what’s going on here. All in all, Butch Jones hasn’t done a terrible job. They’re 3-2, have bowl wins, 9 win seasons, some high character kids, and built up the UTk program from a trashpile. And he’s still going to lose his job this year because the fans demand more, and are voting with their wallets and with their righteous anger.

That program is one of the heavy hitters in the SEC, and needs to act like it.

We should be one of the heavy hitters in CUSA, yet we’re far from it, and the only people who seem to care all that much are on this message board. What’s wrong with this picture?!?!?!?!?

It’s clear that there’s a significant disconnect between the fans and the AD. It’s clear that the AD is not in line with the fan base’s expectations for this program.

And another thing – while I don’t believe it’s reasonable to demand results, I think it’s perfectly reasonable to demand effort.

After all, if I’m giving you my money, I expect you to at least try to be competitive for championships.

I don’t see that with this program. All I see is mediocre results, and condescending attitudes towards fans that give their hard earned money.

I don’t think they care about putting out a championship level team. I simply don’t.

It’s “thanks for your money, I’ll enjoy my trip to Hawaii, see you next year”.

If you want to continue to sign up for that, good for you. If that’s what you believe makes a superior fan, then you are it.

I’ve been watching college football at multiple levels for over two decades – I’ve never seen a scenario quite like this, where there’s been a failure to achieve any significant results for over a decade, there’s significant fan unrest, and the AD just fails to respond in any way shape or form.

Here’s the thing, you really REALLY don’t want us to go away.

Because anger is a heck of a lot better than apathy. You can get an angry fan back. It’s almost impossible to get a person who’s stopped caring back on the bandwagon. A person who’s stopped caring has found other things to do. That person is gone forever.

You’re right, a lot of this is not productive. I understand it can get old reading the same old gripes.

But doesn’t that tell you something? If you have been reading the same old complaints for years and years, maybe, just maybe, we’re right?

RaiderDoug I've been on this message board since the start. I don't know you, but that was the absolute best post I've ever seen here. You nailed it...well played!

Reactions: RaiderDoug
Which is ridiculous. Massaro's "deal" with him has to be one of the biggest follies in MT sports history. We are stuck with this moron forever

You can say he is not a good coach or an average coach and you not happy with the W-L record - it would be nice if you would not personally attack him - calling him a "Moron" is over the top

You can say he is not a good coach or an average coach and you not happy with the W-L record - it would be nice if you would not personally attack him - calling him a "Moron" is over the top

I agree. As much as I'm unhappy with the state of the football program this season and in recent years, Stockstill is a good man, and has done many good things, and produced as a father a fine young man that any of us would be proud to have as a son. Let's lay off calling him names.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT