ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL An interview with CKD

starting about the 3:50 mark of the podcast

Hardwood Hustle: Kermit Davis

That may well be one of the best coaches' interviews I've heard. Excellent. Also glad that excellent interview was with Kermit. He confirmed some things about what he's doing with the program that I could only usually speculate about. It's kind of nice to hear his thinking and his plan.

One of those topics was one I believed we discussed here on this board. I think the discussion on the board started along the lines of not losing too many players at the start of the season compared to years ago. Kermit reflected that in discussing his approach to recruiting and coaching in general. Specifically, now that MT has built a lot of success, their is a lot of built in credibility with the players when he is being incredibly tough and demanding. Now the players see the years of success Kermit has built at MT and know he knows what he is talking about and doing. If a player wants that success, he has to put in the hard work and toughness.

It is also kind of nice to hear him confirm his recruiting approach. Yea, it would be hard for MT to beat UNC or UK for a Top 25 recruit, but he has found that good mixture of HS, JUCO, and transfer players that are a good fit for his team. As they have had more success, the talent level of the recruits has increased. I especially liked how he confirmed that particularly this year even more talented players have their doors open to MT recruiting.

Great interview. I was glad to hear him open up about his approach and much more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT