ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL 5,000 to see Touchdown Jesus?

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
Just saw that TSU is given the option to purchase up to 5,000 tickets in the million dollar deal for TSU to open the season at Notre Dame. Regardless of whether or not TSU sell the entire allotment it does bring up the question:

During the 10 or 12 years of MT's D-1 existence I have no doubt we could have sold 5,000 tickets, or more, for virtually any P-5 trip or bowl game. Now a decade later IMHO it's very doubtful. Today, in your opinion could we sell 5,000 tickets to a season opener in South Bend?

Just saw that TSU is given the option to purchase up to 5,000 tickets in the million dollar deal for TSU to open the season at Notre Dame. Regardless of whether or not TSU sell the entire allotment it does bring up the question:

During the 10 or 12 years of MT's D-1 existence I have no doubt we could have sold 5,000 tickets, or more, for virtually any P-5 trip or bowl game. Now a decade later IMHO it's very doubtful. Today, in your opinion could we sell 5,000 tickets to a season opener in South Bend?
yeah, to the ND fans that pose as MT fans and just people looking for tickets

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue

we can't even sell 5,000 for some home games!

IIRC we sold lIke 2500-3000 total tickets for the bowl game that included CRS buying $10,000 worth of student tickets for the game.

I think in most instances, we give back most of our allotments of 1000 for conference games.

The novelty of ND would probably result in us selling like a bowl game. My guess is we sell 1,000-2,000 and give back / donate the rest.

I will be curious to see if TSU sells out their allotment or gives most back.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
What would need to happen to get back to that?

Ignoring the elephants in the room of the 3 amigos,

Multiple successive 10 win seasons, multiple successive bowl wins, and several wins over other P5 schools. And probably a few seasons ranked for those that only pay attention to Top 25.

We are at the bottom and no one is going to come except the diehards(who are even thinning out) until there is a reason to come.

6,7, or even 8 win seasons isn't enough. It's amazing what Saban has done, no doubt. But at the same time, he's ruined it for the casual fan. He has set an expectation for the average fan that every school should have undefeated seasons every year. For schools like us it isn't attainable due to portal and coach poaching, but the average fan, the on the fence casual we need, doesn't get that.

I do think it could happen again. We still struggled with attendance in the earlier years maintaining an average of 18-20k but we had some stellar crowds and a large set of committed fans and people. Message boards would get a swarm of hundreds of purchased tickets on the premise of making our numbers looked good and donate them to a local charity.

Most people notice when there is a drop off or stagnation. They may not know the ins-outs of a contract that crippled our ability to encourage more than .500 wins but they noticed and stopped attending or caring.

I think the first thing that needs to happen is a change at HC. Make a good hire and learn from the past.

What would need to happen to get back to that?

We have a very fickle fan base. Not a ton of loyalty. It has everything to do with W's. When the teams are winning, people show up in droves. As soon as the L's start piling up, folks no longer care. Gone is the passion of supporting the teams no matter how bad they might be. I think a lot of this stems from the fact that people do not see the effort or commitment from leadership to demand a winning product. If those in charge don't care, why should we as fans.

I really feel like it boils down to there being no sustained success. App, for example, has a long history of winning. They’ve gone through losing seasons but it seems their fans know it will turnaround at some point. For MT it seems there is no faith, and no reason to have any, that it will change. I doubt a coaching change will do that unless they start winning games. I think it would take 4-5 years of 10+ wins to really change that mentality.

I was a Clemson fan growing up and that was their issue until the Dabo hire. Even after a few years of 10+ wins the fans still hadn’t bought in. Once he started winning the ACC AND beating SC then the mentality changed. We need an extended period of time to change the expectations here. I don’t see why we can’t do that.

Look, I've said this more than once. How many times have we hosted mediocre P5s and won? Out of how many games. We usually suck majorly. What was MT's record against vandy in it's recent series???? What is MT's record against wku in recent years? Fire Stockstill. NOW.
Ain’t happening. We can either accept it and write them another check, or move on to something else. It is what it is.

• Sad
Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
~20 years ago we had the newness of FBS(then 1A) to get excited about. In the final days of the McCollum era apathy was not nearly as pervasive, but there were a lot of empty seats at JRF.

Then in 2006 we had the excitement of a new coach, our first hire as a fully FBS program, a hire with no ties to the program and with ties to multiple big programs and high profile coaches. In the first few years we had the excitement of our first bowl bid, our first P5(then BCS) home games, our first non-Vandy P5 wins, our first 10 win season, our first bowl victory, by far the most electric QB of our FBS...

We had more to get excited about from 2006-2009 than we have from 2010 to present. We are, and have been for some time, a program lost at sea. I genuinely really liked all three of McPhee, Massaro, and Stock when I was a student('03-'10), but the most exciting thing for this program in more than a decade would be cleaning house on all three.

Hey Pal, MTFNBY5: Could you direct me to where you saw this, 5,000 tickets deal thing at? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: roarman53
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT