ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL 2015 Popeyes Bahamas Bowl (ESPN), 11AM, Thursday, December 24

CWR6J7XXAAAECZl.jpg

The Missoulian:

Sour note: Bands don't always get to play on at bowl games

excerpt:

...Massaro said Conference USA also helps to send bands to bowl games within driving distance; Middle Tennessee received aid for its trip to the 2013 Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth, Texas.

But the Bahamas, probably as inviting as any bowl location, presents many challenges. Neither Central Michigan nor Western Kentucky took its band to the inaugural game last year.

Western Michigan athletic director Kathy Beauregard said the school uses a stipend offered by the MAC to help with these types of expenses. Last year the AD said it took that money, and more, to take the band to Boise. But school officials determined sending the 300-member band to the Bahamas would prove too difficult — both logistical as well as financial.

Middle Tennessee and Western Michigan are both sending equipment by freighter to the Bahamas well in advance to make it as smooth as possible when the teams go through customs.

Massaro said that when Conference USA announced that the Bahamas Bowl was a league partner, Middle Tennessee used the NCAA student assistance fund to get passports for its football players just in case they were ever sent to that game.

Beauregard said band members were given a heads up that they wouldn't be going to the Bahamas if that's where the Broncos were sent for their bowl game. Western Michigan President John Dunn even went to band practice the day of the bowl announcement to show his support.

"We had our fingers crossed that everything could work out and we could go, but I don't think we were totally surprised," Montgomery said.

With neither school's marching band at the game, Bahamas Bowl executive director Richard Giannini said the halftime show would include a preview of the musical attractions at the Junkanoo, a Bahamian national festival beginning later that week.....

excerpt:

...The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders will play the Western Michigan Broncos in the Popeyes Bahamas Bowl Game.

The Western Michigan Broncos were 7-5 this season and finished fourth in the MAC West Division standings. The Western Michigan offense is averaging 35.4 points per game with 283.4 passing yards per game and 197.2 rushing yards per game. Zach Terrell is the quarterback for Western Michigan who is completing 66.8% of his passes for 3225 yards, 27 touchdowns, and 8 interceptions. Jamauri Bogan has 836 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns for Western Michigan. Jarvion Franklin has 699 rushing yards and 5 touchdowns for the Broncos. Daniel Braverman has 1266 receiving yards and 12 touchdowns, while Corey Davis has 1253 receiving yards and 11 touchdowns for Western Michigan. The Western Michigan defense is giving up 28.1 points per game with 224.8 passing yards per game and 186.6 rushing yards per game. Asantay Brown has 100 tackles, Keion Adams has 4.5 sacks, and Darius Phillips has 5 interceptions for Western Michigan. Western Michigan is even in turnover margin this season.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders were 7-5 this season and finished third in the C-USA East Division standings. The Middle Tennessee offense is averaging 33.8 points per game with 310.4 passing yards per game and 148.3 rushing yards per game. Brent Stockstill is the Middle Tennessee quarterback who is completing 66.7% of his passes for 3678 yards, 27 touchdowns, and 8 interceptions. Jordan Parker has 468 rushing yards and 6 touchdowns for Middle Tennessee. Richie James has 1220 receiving yards and 6 touchdowns, while Ed’Marques Batties has 960 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns for the Blue Raiders. The Middle Tennessee defense is giving up 25.1 points per game with 247 passing yards per game and 141.3 rushing yards per game. T.T. Barber has 89 tackles and 4 sacks, while Kevin Byard has 4 interceptions for Middle Tennessee. Middle Tennessee is -3 in turnover margin this season.

Middle Tennessee ended the season winning their last 4 games of the season. The Blue Raiders were very impressive to end the season and will have plenty of confidence coming into this game. Middle Tennessee has the 17th ranked passing attack in the country, so they should be able to find success against Western Michigan’s defense. Western Michigan comes into this game losing 2 of their last 3 games. Western Michigan has played in a lot of high scoring games, so I would expect another high scoring affair in this one. Western Michigan’s only two losses this season came to the two teams in the MAC championship game.....

I think it will last. The expenses are minimal as long as Atlantis stays happy. It gets great pub during the bowl and the game gets good ratings. Cheaper and less time consuming than Hawaii for schools and fans. I could see it becoming a premier bowl.

This bowl currently:
1) Alienates fans.
2) Is for teams that aren't that great.
3) For players and coaches and a Bahaman school president.

Like I said, I might google the score but that is about it.

Reactions: ToddMalone
The good things about this bowl are more practice time and a chance for the seniors to audition for the next level. Not much in it for the fans. That's an expensive trip, and takes away money that could be spent on solar panels for our homes.

Stop telling people how they should feel about a team and program. I mean really.

Happy for the players? Will that make you happy? ok then. yay for the players.

I personally love it that the players are having such a great time on this bowl. At the end of the day, why don't you be happy we are in a bowl instead of trying to s*** on it.

Good grief we have some negative people that post here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT