ADVERTISEMENT

Why would a G5 school offer a contract eight years out???

JohnDavidBlue

All American
Sep 10, 2005
One thing that this season has made me really start to question is the validity and need to offer contracts to coaches so far out. While the intent may be to protect the university from poaching, what it can do is hinder the ability to make agile decisions based on the current market. This approach is way too slow for today's fast paced market. I say 2 to 3 years maximum, based on performance.

If we take our big blue glasses off, we must realize that coaches moving on to bigger schools is a GOOD INDICATOR of success. We want them to move on because that means that they are successful and marketable. A program also needs to consider its short and long term success and ability to stay relevant in the marketplace. If you have a coach sitting around at our level, they are just riding it out or just plain toxic.

I am going to go ahead and say it. I think this contract is going to kill MTSU football. It is going to be the death knell to any momentum. Chris Massaro has made a mess and now, as fans, we just have to deal with it because it is what it is. Unacceptable.

What I find interesting is that it's only the head coaches getting these decade-long contracts. Coordinators and assistants still work on a 1-3 year basis because in reality, that's how it should be. Unfortunately, head coaches have done an incredible job of being as greedy as possible and milking schools for every penny possible. This is America afterall and I don't want to sound like I'm anti-capitalist, because believe me I believe in a free market, but the state of head coaching contracts right now CFB is absolutely ridiculous. Notre Dame just finished paying off Charlie Weis's contract this year after he was fired back 2009. Tell me that isn't absolutely asinine.

I think we have to willing to let coaches go. Its a sign of progress. Look, we all wanted Stock to stay in 2009. The problem was the length of the contract.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
Yeah. I wanted him after 2009 too. In retrospect Diaz, Dasher, and Franklin had more to do with that then anything. I still think anything more than 3 years is asinine.

I think we have to willing to let coaches go. Its a sign of progress. Look, we all wanted Stock to stay in 2009. The problem was the length of the contract.

One thing that this season has made me really start to question is the validity and need to offer contracts to coaches so far out. While the intent may be to protect the university from poaching, what it can do is hinder the ability to make agile decisions based on the current market. This approach is way too slow for today's fast paced market. I say 2 to 3 years maximum, based on performance.

If we take our big blue glasses off, we must realize that coaches moving on to bigger schools is a GOOD INDICATOR of success. We want them to move on because that means that they are successful and marketable. A program also needs to consider its short and long term success and ability to stay relevant in the marketplace. If you have a coach sitting around at our level, they are just riding it out or just plain toxic.

I am going to go ahead and say it. I think this contract is going to kill MTSU football. It is going to be the death knell to any momentum. Chris Massaro has made a mess and now, as fans, we just have to deal with it because it is what it is. Unacceptable.

Hard to believe that just three years ago (2012) Memphis was still paying Tommy West, Larry Porter and added Justin Fuente's salary on top of that. I agree with you. This eight-year commitment to Stock is a real head scratcher and I thought Chris Massaro was sharper than this.

Check out what some professors were thinking about the $2.7 million Memphis still owed Tommy after 2009. I certainly hope it would never start these same type of discussions in Murfreesboro.

http://m.memphisflyer.com/CityBeatBlog/archives/2009/11/11/tommy-wests-excellent-suggestion

Unless we have a coach who attains multiple bowl wins, sustained presence in rankings, and multiple conference championships, we shouldn't be making contracts that extend eight years or so. Hope it proves to be a wise call, but get a feeling it will end up costing us more than we bargained. It's a huge risk we have taken that didn't seem costly, but may be very costly if we have losing seasons...it's like mortgaging the farm.

Unless we have a coach who attains multiple bowl wins, sustained presence in rankings, and multiple conference championships, we shouldn't be making contracts that extend eight years or so. Hope it proves to be a wise call, but get a feeling it will end up costing us more than we bargained. It's a huge risk we have taken that didn't seem costly, but may be very costly if we have losing seasons...it's like mortgaging the farm.

Good post, Clyde. Stockstill obviously parlayed the 2009 bowl victory and subsequent Memphis overtures to his advantage. Ultimately, Massaro should've never offered the extension. It's now coming back to bite us.

Good post, Clyde. Stockstill obviously parlayed the 2009 bowl victory and subsequent Memphis overtures to his advantage. Ultimately, Massaro should've never offered the extension. It's now coming back to bite us.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Nostradamus 😂😂
There is a 2012 tweet from Adam Sparks that someone posted in the Facebook announcement thread that is absolutely hilarious. Massaro quoted: “he was “confident” we would be in a good bowl that year.” 😂😂
I wish I could post it here but don’t know how. Anyone??

We opened that 8-4 season with a loss to McNeese and closed it out with a 45-0 shellacking by Malzahn in Jonesboro. Now we can’t even get in the same conference with them. I actually attended the “big CUSA announcement” party in the Hall of Fame. Makes me sick to my stomach now.

Last edited:
I can’t. It’s just picture of the tweet posted in that Blue Raiders Facebook page.
FCOvx0fUcAEyV3A

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I thought about this just yesterday. I'm in the same boat. It I'd good to have coaches move up from you. Keep at it and every young assistant in the country will be knocking down your door.

Again, one of those things...it's really not that hard to figure out, except for our admin.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
And now MT watches the proverbial foreclosure auction of C-USA as farm gets sold, some 6-years later from my original post. Desperately hoping said auction is called off to Force Majure or hoping to get to the waiting room of a conference bailout at 1 minute before farm gets officially sold out from under us. FBS dream is lost as MT becomes a vagabond much like New Mexico State.

Really sad state of affairs caused by a senseless and putrid lack of executive and athletic department leadership. It is virtually impossible for me to put faith and trust into what they are saying by their weak press release this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: MT Glenn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT