ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Who earns the QB job in 2019?

Based on what we know, yes O'hara should start...but we have a JC guy coming in to compete for the job...I want a QB that can both run and pass. We know O'hara can run, but can he complete enough passes? TBD...

Based on what we know, yes O'hara should start...but we have a JC guy coming in to compete for the job...I want a QB that can both run and pass. We know O'hara can run, but can he complete enough passes? TBD...
I think the JC guy will be given every opportunity to be the starter against Michigan. If he spits the bit out then I expect it will be Asher.

Reactions: Hop45 and MTLynn
I can't find Nolan nor Shiflett on the 2019 roster on GBR?

Have they both left the program? How did we blow both of those evals?

The only QB i've ever heard of on the '19 roster is O'Hara, so I guess he gets it by default. At least until Randall Johnson shows up.

Edit: Shiflett's at Furman.

I can't find Nolan nor Shiflett on the 2019 roster on GBR?

Have they both left the program? How did we blow both of those evals?

The only QB i've ever heard of on the '19 roster is O'Hara, so I guess he gets it by default. At least until Randall Johnson shows up.

Edit: Shiflett's at Furman.
Didn't even know Shiflett transferred. I am assuming he wanted a chance at QB since it looked like we weren't going to give him one.

Reactions: Hop45
When Johnson got picked up, Shifflet was gone. The writing was on the wall. Ohara might be the guy but it's between him and Johnson. Cunningham is gonna have to be perfect throwing to make it a 3 man race at this point.

So we don’t have a scholarship HS quarterback on the roster........ doesn’t sound promising at all.

Where'd Chance Nolan go? He seemed promising. Loved his high school film

Noland is headed to JUCO is California and Shiflett is on full scholarship at Furman where he will have every opportunity to earn the QB spot as Furman has no returning starter. From what I have heard Noland did well during Spring and is easily the best passer. Think the problem here is Franklin. TF inherited an entrenched starter and had success with him. He Likes the JUCO guys who are older and often can be plugged right in. Shiflett literally practiced for two weeks at QB last fall before being moved to WR where he played in every game. Heard he was told by Franklin he would be back in the QB mix but that did not happen and he left. Noland was also never given a real opportunity. Have heard some of the players believe Noland was best QB on the roster.

Franklin is more worried about the Tony Franklin System than he is developing players and being in a mentoring role. My prediction is this will be his last year. Got to believe there is some tension between him and Stock. Not saying coaches should be a players “friend” by any means but typically QB coaches have a closer relationship with QBs than other positions. Don’t think that is case With Franklin. Pretty sure he is not one players would go to bat for. I heard Franklin heard about Nolands departure from a JUCO coach he was visiting on a recruiting trip in California. That’s embarrassing for our program if true.

So.... in the end Asher is the man left out. He has already done the JUCO thing and really has no other options. I think the plan all along was to bring in Johnson as starter and Asher O’Hara will be backup. Think you will see offense change some as well toward more of a two back set as opposed to 4 wide. Youbsaw this a little last year as season went on ( that’s great since we have a million receivers to split less reps) Hope Johnson can get it done. It’s all laid out for him. Kids are not stupid. You think Nolan and Shiflett did not see what was planned?

Franklin has history of doin well when he has an established QB. He also has history of leaving after three or so years and leaves things worse than he found them.... just ask Auburn.

Noland is headed to JUCO is California and Shiflett is on full scholarship at Furman where he will have every opportunity to earn the QB spot as Furman has no returning starter. From what I have heard Noland did well during Spring and is easily the best passer. Think the problem here is Franklin. TF inherited an entrenched starter and had success with him. He Likes the JUCO guys who are older and often can be plugged right in. Shiflett literally practiced for two weeks at QB last fall before being moved to WR where he played in every game. Heard he was told by Franklin he would be back in the QB mix but that did not happen and he left. Noland was also never given a real opportunity. Have heard some of the players believe Noland was best QB on the roster.

Franklin is more worried about the Tony Franklin System than he is developing players and being in a mentoring role. My prediction is this will be his last year. Got to believe there is some tension between him and Stock. Not saying coaches should be a players “friend” by any means but typically QB coaches have a closer relationship with QBs than other positions. Don’t think that is case With Franklin. Pretty sure he is not one players would go to bat for. I heard Franklin heard about Nolands departure from a JUCO coach he was visiting on a recruiting trip in California. That’s embarrassing for our program if true.

So.... in the end Asher is the man left out. He has already done the JUCO thing and really has no other options. I think the plan all along was to bring in Johnson as starter and Asher O’Hara will be backup. Think you will see offense change some as well toward more of a two back set as opposed to 4 wide. Youbsaw this a little last year as season went on ( that’s great since we have a million receivers to split less reps) Hope Johnson can get it done. It’s all laid out for him. Kids are not stupid. You think Nolan and Shiflett did not see what was planned?

Franklin has history of doin well when he has an established QB. He also has history of leaving after three or so years and leaves things worse than he found them.... just ask Auburn.
He didn't leave Auburn on his own. After six or so games it was evident his system doesn't work against talented defenses. It's hokey at best.

everyone runs the same plays with different window dressing. they can buy the system all they want but they're going to learn a lot more watching our film and studying our tendencies. Nobody's been reinventing the wheel lately so it's been all about match ups and calling the right plays at the right time. Franklin can still do this fairly well when our OL holds up.

Putting all the chips in the basket with some JUCO guys certainly seems risky. He must really, really like the Johnson kid. I know many here are not a Franklin fan but I believe he's one of the best G5 coordinators in the business and his offense works well in conferences like ours so I'm gonna defer to him here. Just gotta hope Johnson doesn't get hurt.

Reactions: playersu12
The Juco guy had 2 offers MT and non scholarship Morehead. Why didn't QG guru Jeff Teaford pull the trigger at Fresno?

The Juco guy had 2 offers MT and non scholarship Morehead. Why didn't QG guru Jeff Teaford pull the trigger at Fresno?

Not sure, and not too concerned. His film is legit, and you'd be surprised how many recruits get missed on the radar. The great G5 coaches, that rise to the P5 ranks, make a living out of finding these hidden gems.

Not sure, and not too concerned. His film is legit, and you'd be surprised how many recruits get missed on the radar. The great G5 coaches, that rise to the P5 ranks, make a living out of finding these hidden gems.
"The great G5 coaches, that rise to the P5 ranks, make a living out of finding these hidden gems."

What about the ones like we have?

How many people went after Omar Haugabook? Franklin gets his hands on him and turns him into a great QB at Troy. Dasher did nothing too great until 09. Franklin made him a rock star. Franklin likes the more athletic dual threat QB. We are gonna be fine. Ill be honest, I think Brent held Franklin back a bit in his play calling. Brent was a great passer but he wasn’t all that mobile and had limitations. This Johnson kid is younger, bigger and has more upside when it comes to Franklin's system. We'll see. Ohara has plenty of talent to do well too. I was really impressed during the FIU game for a kid to come in cold like that and run the offense. He came up short at the end but that wasn't his fault and he had no reps leading up that game.

Can we block for the QB? That's the bigger question.

We will see is all i can say.

This is great information. I guess it speaks volumes that insiders on a message board have to deliver football news but I'll take it.

This. I was looking at our two returning starters on the OL. The heaviest tips the scales at 281. We will have problems protecting the QB and opening holes for the RBs.

So we've had issues on the Oline for the last few years. Why should this year be any different, :)

We do have a crop of guys who are much bigger coming out of redshirts. 3 star players too. It's about coaching and that's the issue right now.

So we've had issues on the Oline for the last few years. Why should this year be any different, :)

It is going to be different. It's going to be worse.

If the head coach couldn't produce a viable OL unit with his son - who was injury prone - as the team's QB why should anyone expect it to get better particularly given roster depletion? Brent reduced sacks by literally making sure not to hold the ball for longer than two seconds whether anyone was open or not (which was a 50/50 proposition itself). Michigan might literally be 70-0. It's hard to find more than four wins for this team this season.

Stock will find a way to get to 6 games and be bowl eligible. I will admit this year it will not be easy. Would help if we can pull an upset vs Duke at home. At least we have 6 home games instead of 5 this year.

We will go as far as the OL and Randall Johnson takes us. Defense will be good again, and FG kicker will have a year under his belt now and be even better. We probably have the best PK in the conference this season which will win us a game or two.

I actually have some faith in Franklin to generate some offense. I don't think he's ever had a bad year with his offense at a G5 school. Even his California years were all mostly fairly good except for 2013. I am expecting a much more run heavy attack with Jayy McDonald being a potential break out star for the offense. Dobson should see a much bigger role this year too. Mobley obviously brings the thunder, and hopefully Brad is healed up from his injury. Terelle West is still lingering around on the roster, too. Look for another RB-by-committee approach where the staff rides the hot hand. It'll be hard to keep Dobson and McDonald off the field though. Seems like they will need to utilize more 2 back sets this year to share the love.

There are some glaring weaknesses though. QB is a huge question mark obviously; we will be very young but talented on the OL, we still don't have an established stud RB, and WR will remain an enigma beyond Ty Lee.

Stockstill teams typically start slow and finish strong against the weaker CUSA competition and I don't see this season being any different. It'll be a young team that struggles to find it's way early on but goes on a nice 3 or 4 game winning streak late in the year to secure bowl eligibility.

All in all, Same Ole' Same Ole' - I predict 3rd in the East. It will at least be a bunch of fresh faces playing for us this year, and the offense I predict will be more run heavy with more 2 back sets and lots of misdirection. Defense will be aggressive as usual with an attacking in-your-face style. It'll be a fun team to watch in my opinion, with some signs of greatness, but I think in the end we'll be wishing for more. I suppose there's always the possibility we win the East, because I think it'll still be pretty weak next year beyond the usual suspects. We get Marshall and FIU at home which is great but travelling to North Texas is almost a sure loss and @ FAU likely is not a win either. I just can't see Stockstill beating Kiffin two years in a row. He will be out for blood after last year.

Don't be surprised if we lose to Tennessee State. We play them Week 2 and this team will still be working through a lot of kinks.

Last edited:
Kiffin is weak sauce without Briles. Kiffin as a HC always goes flat by year 3. Not buying them as a contender especially without the best RB they ever had. I think we will be better because of all the P5 schools we play. We became a better team after the UGA game.That tough 3 P5 schedule had a positive effect. We were in the UK game til the end. BTW, if UGA didn't hang 70 on us, Michigan won't. Michigan is overrated. They will march on us but UGA bad? No.

This year, it will be all about the QB management. Brent was good but wasn't an X factor he is made out to be. Logan Kilgore won the same amount of games in his senior year as Brent won. Logan actually had more wins in his jr and sr years than Brent in his jr and sr years. Kilgore was a JUCO that TF scouted before he took off. Dasher had a 10 win season. We don't need a Brent to win. We need a good game manager with some foot speed. We have that in Ohara and Johnson gives us size, speed and arm strength which we've never had in D1a play. From the film I saw, we can win just fine with Johnson if his head is screwed on right. We have more speed in this incoming class than I've seen in a long time. I have reason to be optimistic. Will the coaches find a way to jack it up? That's what I'm concerned about.

Last edited:
I was in the Navy when Dasher played and was not able to watch him that much at all. How much does he compare to Ohara? Was Dasher a better passer based on the limited knowledge we have of Ohara?

I was in the Navy when Dasher played and was not able to watch him that much at all. How much does he compare to Ohara? Was Dasher a better passer based on the limited knowledge we have of Ohara?

Dasher was a full back with a gun for an arm, he was hard to tackle. I haven't seen enough of OHara arm, but he is more shifty than Dasher. I don't think O'Hara can take the punishment Dasher took - bodies are completely different. But that doesn't mean O'Hara can't be productive.

Dwight was a pure athletic talent. When they talk about god given ability - that was Dwight. He was never in the best shape, certainly wasn’t the smartest in terms of football IQ, and he practiced terribly at times. But when the lights came on, he was a gamer.

He had a great arm and could make all the throws, but he wasn’t always the most accurate. What set him apart was his field vision - when he took off he was a threat to break something every time.

O’Hara reminds me a lot of Dwight from that dual threat perspective. His arm is not as live but I believe he’s a more accurate thrower.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
One of my most enjoyable MT moments was Dasher’s coming out party in Memphis in ‘07. I was just 2 years out of grad school and a new MT alum. DD absolutely destroyed the Tigers in that first matchup of the new series. West and Kravitz, his brand new DC, had no clue for stopping DD. I wore a MT golf shirt to the M-Club pre-game buffet and took a lot of grief and razzing from my old college teammates. I sat with my old roommate behind the Tiger bench and by the start of the 4th quarter, the Highland Hundred booster guys were screaming at West. He fired Kravitz on the field later that year in NOLA after being blown out by Schnellenberger and FAU. ‘09 was even better when Dasher killed them again and then ran wild vs. So. Miss. in NOLA. Good times. Now we have West and Mallory from that same Memphis staff.
SMDH. It’s almost as if Stock is just daring Massaro and McPhee to fire him now with that contract.

I'll never forget the Miami-Ohio bowl game in particular. I thought there was gonna be an FBI investigation after that game was over.

There should've been.

The way things are done, I halfway expect at some point, they'll want to put him in the MT HOF.

Dasher played for a total of 2 years of on the field time. The only complete year he had was in 09. Franklin made him an ok passer. Ohara is more polished. We judge Ohara from one game where he had to come in cold in our toughest game in the east. Dasher lost to a crappy North Texas team as a senior and when he came in cold in 07, he couldn't beat a crappy transitioning WKU team. I think Johnson takes the spot in the fall but Ohara is more than capable to run the offense. Grammer isn't as fast as Ohara and he won the same number of games that MT won in 2010. It's all relative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT