ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Where Stockstill ranks in CUSA coaches pay after Kiffin hiring

Mark my word, this abomination of a contract will come back to bite Massaro and McPhee but the sad part is I don't think either of them even care. There is zero incentive for Stock to do better than .500. One of the lowest variable components (bonuses) in CUSA. 8 years at roughly $800,000 a year. Unbelievable.

Beats me. But I do know this. With Stock's current contract, they surrendered ALL leverage to force him to make staff changes.

And for the past two years, watching this defense has been painful.

Last edited:
This "abomination" of a contract has also been fulfilled because we haven't had a losing season in 5 years. Besides WKU, that's the longest streak in Conference USA right now. I'm sorry, I have no problems with Stock as long as we keep winning. When we start knocking out losing seasons, we can then discuss changes. How many outright championships does Memphis have? "cough" None. That's how many. How many Championship games have they been in? None. They shared a 3 way co championship. Awesome. We did that twice. Are people calling for their AD's head or other people? Nope. They won 8 games. So did we. It's all relative.

I hate whining. Just play the dang game. You either win or lose and we win more than we lose. Sheesh.

This "abomination" of a contract has also been fulfilled because we haven't had a losing season in 5 years. Besides WKU, that's the longest streak in Conference USA right now. I'm sorry, I have no problems with Stock as long as we keep winning. When we start knocking out losing seasons, we can then discuss changes. How many outright championships does Memphis have? "cough" None. That's how many. How many Championship games have they been in? None. They shared a 3 way co championship. Awesome. We did that twice. Are people calling for their AD's head or other people? Nope. They won 8 games. So did we. It's all relative.

I hate whining. Just play the dang game. You either win or lose and we win more than we lose. Sheesh.
Folks don't show up to watch wins over crappy opponents after losses to Vandy, Marshall and WKU. The numbers don't lie. 5,000 (or less) for Senior Day will eventually be the reason that a change is made. Kermit has a fantastic basketball team this year but I can assure you that the occasional 8,000 draw for Basketball won't even come close to erasing the losses in football. It's about butts in seats. The days of comparing MT to Memphis are long gone with the last ugly win 17-15 in '14. This is not about Memphis.

Last edited:
It is about Memphis. We owned those b!tches. 4-2 sweetheart. They have yet to fill our jock strap. They've been 1-a for how long? We've been 1-a for 16-17 years. Five of those years we've gone without a losing record straight. That's over 25% of our existence as a 1-a. 9 of those years, we've had a winning record with one year .500. That's over 50% right there. Pimfis have that win rate? Hell no and most of those years, they played an easy a$$ schedule most of the time.

Do what you want. I'm where I need to be. 1 of the 4,000. Better to be that than a lame a$$ armchair QB that didn't say squat when we were 4-1. Go and pray for Murder City to get their mythical Big 12 invite.

Last edited:
You take every opportunity to bring up Memphis. You love to talk about Memphis. You love to tell our fan base how you'd rather be or are traveling to their games versus seeing MT. If you want to talk memphis then go to their board. I want to read about Middle Tennessee athletics and hear from my fellow fans about them. Isn't the site called GoMiddle.com? God damn man. Go to the Memphis board and talk it up

I didn't bring up Memphis in this thread. We were having a discussion about Stock's compensation package compared to other CUSA coaches. Maybe you two need anger management counseling.

I didn't bring up Memphis in this thread. We were having a discussion about Stock's compensation package compared to other CUSA coaches. Maybe you two need anger management counseling.

I think the point is everyone knows where you stand about Stock...its kind of hard to hear it over and over when we are making preparations to play in a bowl game, lil stock looks like he is gonna play (and unrelated, mens BB is doing well). Things are pretty good at MT right now, its Christmas!

I didn't even start the thread. Look at the original post. Yet, a couple of knuckleheads can't have a civil discussion without getting personal or taking the Lord's name in vain.

I don't have the time nor interest in compiling cost of living vs salary but Rick is overpaid given his record and success over his tenure.

Most people see through the shallow wins during the seasons and lack of a title. That is why we have attendance problems. What I think is going to happen is CUSA is going to get stronger with the recent hires and the dregs of this conference won't be a high probability win. Can Rick keep up with the arms race?

I do have to hand it to Stock in that every once in a while, he wins a game that shocks the heck out of you but couples that with losses that leave you scratching your head.

When every single game on your schedule is consistently "winnable" getting bowl eligible should be a given/minimum requirement. Other than the Alabama game a few years ago, I can't think of another game in recent memory where we've been prohibitive under dogs.

When you factor in the fact that we play one of the easiest schedules in the country with a lot of easy W's against some of the worst programs in the country, being "bowl eligible" literally means nothing. Bowl games are a bunch of hog wash anyway and Stock would be fired if they didn't exist because he'd have nothing to hang his hat on.

You either win your league or you don't and despite being picked first we still havn't done it and won't do it for the foreseeable future. He was never able to win a true sun belt title and wasn't able to get the job done when we were picked to win it all (couldn't even get us to the title game even) so pretty sure it's never gonna happen.

Don't worry though we will keep being "bowl eligible" and the little brother/laughing stock to WKU.

So Stock is now the 6th highest paid in CUSA with the 2nd best winning season record in the last 5 years. I'd say that's a dang good return on the investment considering the others haven't done much of anything yet. We all want championships but hell, you hit the reject button if you don't get it? Nothing else matters at all? That's such a cry baby viewpoint. I'd rather have 4,000 die hard true blue fans than 100,000 fair weather arm chair QB P.O.S. fans that bail when we drop a game.

When every single game on your schedule is consistently "winnable" getting bowl eligible should be a given/minimum requirement. Other than the Alabama game a few years ago, I can't think of another game in recent memory where we've been prohibitive under dogs.

When you factor in the fact that we play one of the easiest schedules in the country with a lot of easy W's against some of the worst programs in the country, being "bowl eligible" literally means nothing. Bowl games are a bunch of hog wash anyway and Stock would be fired if they didn't exist because he'd have nothing to hang his hat on.

You either win your league or you don't and despite being picked first we still havn't done it and won't do it for the foreseeable future.

If that is true, then why are us and WKU the only teams out of 14 in our conference that hasn't had a losing season in the last 5 years? Sorry, I don't buy the lose to win B.S. theory. I want a winning season every year. I was a fan of this team in 2005 when we couldn't beat a terrible ULL team. We lost 10-13 and it was like watching bad pop warner football. I like being ranked in the top 10 in offense and with a chance of getting 9 wins way more than that crap I saw 12 seasons ago when we couldn't compete with Idaho, New Mex St. and ULL.

It ain't perfect but I'd rather have it over other options.

If that is true, then why are us and WKU the only teams out of 14 in our conference that hasn't had a losing season in the last 5 years? Sorry, I don't buy the lose to win B.S. theory. I want a winning season every year. I was a fan of this team in 2005 when we couldn't beat a terrible ULL team. We lost 10-13 and it was like watching bad pop warner football. I like being ranked in the top 10 in offense and with a chance of getting 9 wins way more than that crap I saw 12 seasons ago when we couldn't compete with Idaho, New Mex St. and ULL.

It ain't perfect but I'd rather have it over other options.

Why are the only options you see:

1. Bowl eligible season

or

2. Losing season.

There's a 3rd option: Championship season. Program defining season. Elite season. Top 25 season. Ranked season. Historic season.

We keep watching our competition go on an have these seasons. While we're forced to be content with "bowl eligible". We're going onto 12 years with RS. We play in leagues with 9-13 teams. By law of averages, we should have lucked into a championship at least once. If you threw all our names in a hat, and pulled out teams one by one, you'd have better odds of winning a championship than our Stockstill led teams have had.

At some point, there's got to be some accountability for failing to reach program goals.

This program has to have a higher goal than "We competed", and "We didn't have a losing season".

The fan base is dwindling because many of us see a lack of will to be anything more than what I described above.

If the program has a "why bother, the minimum is good enough" attitude, then why should the fans feel any different.

After the bowl game and the coaches convention in early January, we should get a really good feel for Stock's sense of urgency and his plans for where he's taking this program going forward. For starters, how he evaluates the staff and makes any changes. Secondly, Stock may not agree with this but, attendance is on him just as much as Massaro & McPhee. A Head Coach is the figurehead and face of the program. Just like a CEO, he's gotta sell his company's stock value to his investors. I bought it for nine straight years but it has stayed flat except for 2009. I eventually invested elsewhere.

I'll just sit back and watch for a while and pick the games I want to see until I'm sold again.

1. Bowl eligible season

or

2. Losing season.

There's a 3rd option: Championship season. Program defining season. Elite season. Top 25 season. Ranked season. Historic season.

We keep watching our competition go on an have these seasons. While we're forced to be content with "bowl eligible". We're going onto 12 years with RS. We play in leagues with 9-13 teams. By law of averages, we should have lucked into a championship at least once. If you threw all our names in a hat, and pulled out teams one by one, you'd have better odds of winning a championship than our Stockstill led teams have had.

At some point, there's got to be some accountability for failing to reach program goals.

This program has to have a higher goal than "We competed", and "We didn't have a losing season".

The fan base is dwindling because many of us see a lack of will to be anything more than what I described above.

If the program has a "why bother, the minimum is good enough" attitude, then why should the fans feel any different.
Well stated Doug.

Good for them but the kid did only have offers from FAU and Texas State, at least according to 247. Rivals has a lot more offers showing. I wonder if there's any off the field issues or qualifying issues.

Good for them but the kid did only have offers from FAU and Texas State, at least according to 247. Rivals has a lot more offers showing. I wonder if there's any off the field issues or qualifying issues.

He's the kid that got booted from FSU for decking a chick in a bar.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
So Stock is now the 6th highest paid in CUSA with the 2nd best winning season record in the last 5 years. I'd say that's a dang good return on the investment considering the others haven't done much of anything yet. We all want championships but hell, you hit the reject button if you don't get it? Nothing else matters at all? That's such a cry baby viewpoint. I'd rather have 4,000 die hard true blue fans than 100,000 fair weather arm chair QB P.O.S. fans that bail when we drop a game.
I hope you weren't a business major at MTSU.

No I wasn't but I've owned and ran my business for 12 years now. I've learned a couple of things. It takes balls and you have to be at peace with going against the grain. To be successful, you have to accept that you will fail at times and will rarely be popular because of the decisions you'll have to make. You do it anyway because you know down deep that it is the right thing and that no one knows you the way you know yourself. You learn to have faith in yourself and in God when things don't go your way and you never give up no matter what anyone says. You keep going. You don't pout and whine or act like a petulant child. You stay the course and keep the faith.

I guess I was supposed to be a Blue Raider all along. I'm there until they burn the program or they bury me in my raider blue coffin. I can't help what other people do. I do my part and support my team no matter what. I'm not always happy with the results either but we win more than we lose and that ain't easy or more teams in our conference would win more than they lose.

I hope you weren't a business major at MTSU.
I love your posts. :D

JT... you say you keep going and go against the grain. Did you know Stock has finished with a losing record 5 of his 11 years here at MT? Granted, one of those years we went to a bowl (and lost) but still. I guess the real question is how much mediocrity does it take for a change? We have had Stockstill for 11 years and haven't been conference champions ONCE. It's a broken record by now and I know everybody here knows that I am not a fan of CRS. So I will just leave it at that. I will support the team always (I have gone to every home game, bar a few, for the last 20 years) but I will be vocal about needing a change.

1. Bowl eligible season

or

2. Losing season.

Why do I think winning is a good thing? Because I'm not a 2 year old. What other team in our state has won an out right championship lately? Other than pouting on a message board, emailing Massaro or pulling your support, you can't do much else.

I'm simply stating that I'm not pulling my support. We are winning. This is a stupid argument. Yes, I want a championship. Yes, I wanted to run the ball on 1st down vs. WKU on the last possession. But that's how it is. You either win or lose. Sheesh, were die hard Cubs fans wrong to root for their team while they enjoyed their 100 year long drought? No. I choose to admire them for being loyal.

Good luck on your firestock.com site.

I love your posts. :D

JT... you say you keep going and go against the grain. Did you know Stock has finished with a losing record 5 of his 11 years here at MT? Granted, one of those years we went to a bowl (and lost) but still. I guess the real question is how much mediocrity does it take for a change? We have had Stockstill for 11 years and haven't been conference champions ONCE. It's a broken record by now and I know everybody here knows that I am not a fan of CRS. So I will just leave it at that. I will support the team always (I have gone to every home game, bar a few, for the last 20 years) but I will be vocal about needing a change.

Stock has had 4 losing seasons. 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011. 6-6 (2014) ain't a losing record. In 2007 and 2008, we had 8 less schollies and under 95 players total. Still won 5 games and took no. 8 Lousiville and a ranked Virginia to the edge in 07. In 08, we took UK and Miss st. to the wire. In 2010 and 2011, we had a D worse than we do now.

In the last 5 seasons, we are 36-26 I believe. 3 of those 5 seasons, we've gotten 8 wins. Not exactly a back slide. We were conference co-champs in 2006. Good luck with getting a change and watching us win games at the same time.

For the record, I'd have no problem with letting Nix and West go but I'm still there next year if they don't. If we win our bowl game, you can't say 9-4 was a bad year. That is just silly.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
Stock has had 4 losing seasons. 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011. 6-6 (2014) ain't a losing record. In 2007 and 2008, we had 8 less schollies and under 95 players total. Still won 5 games and took no. 8 Lousiville and a ranked Virginia to the edge in 07. In 08, we took UK and Miss st. to the wire. In 2010 and 2011, we had a D worse than we do now.

In the last 5 seasons, we are 36-26 I believe. 3 of those 5 seasons, we've gotten 8 wins. Not exactly a back slide. We were conference co-champs in 2006. Good luck with getting a change and watching us win games at the same time.
2006 was his first year. Prior to our move to CUSA we were 2nd place twice in Sun Belt but tied both times. In CUSA we have only gotten sole possession of 2nd in our DIVISION once. It's great to take teams to the wire, hooray woopity doo, we almost won. We ALMOST beat Troy to win the Sun Belt, but we didn't. We ALMOST beat WKU to win our division but we didn't. We ALMOST beat UTEP in 2014 to go to a bowl game but we didn't. Too much "ALMOST"

if you ain't first your last, period. i'd rather go 0-12 for 3 straight seasons if it means we win a championship the 4th season.

nobody cares about small schools like us getting 6-8 wins year in year out. You either win championships and have seasons like Boise St. / WMU / Northern Illinois / Houston or you're a nobody and mise well be 0-12.

Then why are y'all on here? They ain't changing coaches. Ok, I get it. You don't like anything about the program. Then go. There's the door. There's no point to any of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTTrueBlue
No I wasn't but I've owned and ran my business for 12 years now. I've learned a couple of things. It takes balls and you have to be at peace with going against the grain. To be successful, you have to accept that you will fail at times and will rarely be popular because of the decisions you'll have to make. You do it anyway because you know down deep that it is the right thing and that no one knows you the way you know yourself. You learn to have faith in yourself and in God when things don't go your way and you never give up no matter what anyone says. You keep going. You don't pout and whine or act like a petulant child. You stay the course and keep the faith.

I guess I was supposed to be a Blue Raider all along. I'm there until they burn the program or they bury me in my raider blue coffin. I can't help what other people do. I do my part and support my team no matter what. I'm not always happy with the results either but we win more than we lose and that ain't easy or more teams in our conference would win more than they lose.
If you have owned and operated your own business (for as long as you say you have) then you of all people should know you cannot shame customers into doing business with you. Throw insults all you want but at the end of the day, for me it's become nothing more than a business decision.

Didn't say it was my call. I just think it's pointless to argue about crap you can't do anything about. Massaro ain't changing coaches. I'm never gonna root to fail so we have to agree to disagree.

It's not a business decision. It's an entertainment decision. I write it off anyway since I take clients to the games so I'm winning no matter what.

If it was a business decision and a state school was ran like a real business, which it isn't, I would have fired the marketing dept. and whoever put a flying horse on our logo. I would have actively pursued sponsor relationships with Nissan, Tractor Supply, Cracker Barrel and other large corporations within spitting distance of us. 2 of those mentioned are my clients and said they would talk with the athletic dept. but MT wouldn't reach out to them because it wasn't their idea. I would have offered to promote their products all over our stadium and would have given them sweetheart package deals to promote the relationship.

I would have not hired Nelligan Sports which wasted millions of dollars for nothing in return. I would have not charged Raider Tees 250,000 dollars just to sell Blue Raider gear in our stadium. I would not have ran off local businesses the way I've seen our dept. do. I would have contacted people like Dave Watson, a local entrepreneur who owned over 30 Sonic restaurants in oour area about getting a Sonic or another restaurant in our stadium to up the quality of our game experience. I would let businesses like Raider Tees and others who offer raider gear operate freely or at a low cost in our stadium if it meant our fans benefitted. I'd have single game parking pass upgrades for the greenland lot.

I'd engage the school's graphic design dept. to provide great looking signage, branding, digital and other marketing needs. I would reach out to the business school and get some great minds involved in upping our offerings and increasing our profits. I'd engage the aerospace dept. to game day flybys and fly banners over the city while they do their flying lessons. I'd also wrap their planes with one unified brand. I'd work to get a Raider weekly show going and have it ran by the broadcasting dept. with music created by our recording industry program.

Basically, I'd work my a$$ off trying to unite, engage and attract every dept. within our school to build synergy to promote our team in our town. We have a million resources we don't use that would cost us nothing to use.

That's what I do in my business. My clients don't hire me because they like me. They hire me because I make them a lot of money. I do that because I make connections with the audiences they can't. I build stuff they can't and I get results they can't.

I made a decision to go to the games and just enjoy watching college ball 15 minutes from my house. It's way more than the product that's causing people not to go to the games there.

But with a state ran school and stupid politics, they are lucky to get anything done. It's a government mentality. Good luck changing that.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT