ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Where does MT go from here?

To look at this another way - with the success of the offense with Brent this year, if the defense had been decent, I think it is likely that MT would be in the same boat as Western Michigan - undefeated and ranked in the top 25.

Gotta improve the defense

This is sad to say, but in my world college football is over already. It's college basketball season now. Regarding football, I guess it's something along the lines of apathy. It's the same thing season after season, 6 maybe MT gets to 7 wins to secure a bowl game. Which MT will promptly lose. I imagine this will be the situation for a couple of more years before some sort of much needed change is made. Then like the days of coach mac, almost all area college football fans will have been run off with the few remaining diehards being divided. Then, good luck trying to find a quality coach willing to take over this train wreck that will take a few years to rebuild.

This is sad to say, but in my world college football is over already. It's college basketball season now. Regarding football, I guess it's something along the lines of apathy. It's the same thing season after season, 6 maybe MT gets to 7 wins to secure a bowl game. Which MT will promptly lose. I imagine this will be the situation for a couple of more years before some sort of much needed change is made. Then like the days of coach mac, almost all area college football fans will have been run off with the few remaining diehards being divided. Then, good luck trying to find a quality coach willing to take over this train wreck that will take a few years to rebuild.

Death by stagnation.

People are so afraid of being bad, of having like a 3-9 year that would allegedly kill the program.

Those aren't bad because you get regime change and hope for the future. That sells tickets. That generates excitement. New staffs get a honeymoon period of a few years.

What we have is one step forward, one step backward, year after year after year. You've said it early, you've seen this blah product before. And likely will again.

Like I said earlier - other than playing the loyalty to your school card, is there any reason to buy in and become invested in this program?

I have went to 5 games so far this year. This is probably as many as most of you have gone to. We have went 2-3 in those 5 games. This includes all home games and the Vandy game. This is why people don't come and watch a team play at or close to home.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Its tough to be an MT fan. Look, we are 7-4, 8-4 is still possible. We still beat Mizzou and LT, we played WKU and lost by 1. The other losses suck, but without Stock, our weaknesses are exposed. It is better for the Program to win on Saturday and win the bowl game than for it not too.

Despite all that, there is no other place I'd rather be on a Saturday afternoon.

Even if we go 9-4 (which would be amazing), I think Stock needs to change the defense. I wish that wasn't the case, but the results are proof. I knew in my heart when we lost our 2 best LBs, our best Safety and our best DT that we wouldn't be better on D this year. We have seen enough from Nix at MT to know he can't be successful here.

I really hope MT wins out. Personally, my clan won't be there until changes happen but from the comforts of my home, I hope we win.

We all know the "D" isn't very good this year, but lets take an overall look at the "
D".

* Graduated all LB's from last year..
* Graduated a Safety who is now considered the BEST rookie safety on the NFL.
* Graduated our other safety.
* Lost our best interior D lineman on the 1st or 2nd play of the season.
* Started the season with fairly young secondary. Now we are playing with the # 6 and # safety's on the depth chart.
* Now playing with backup LB's.

While that isn't an excuse, it is realism.

What I look to happen:
1 Tommy West to retire.
2 David Bibbie to retire.
3 Nix to remain as DC.
4 Stock to start recruiting a number of JUCO's to shore up all 3 phases of the "D". We have enough receivers on the 2017 list.
5 Stock to bring in some young assistant "D" coaches.

Long way to go, but is surmountable.

Still going bowling. That gets us 15 extra practices to get healthy and help our "D".

Dwinns

Defense gave up 30+ points in 9 of 12 games. Many of these were against teams I consider to be not so good. Defense MUST improve for next season.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT