ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Who would you put on your MTSU football Mt. Rushmore?

Locks: Coach Murphy and Boots.

The other two spots are very arguable.
Old school, I would argue for Teddy Morris. Until recently, his number was the lone one retired and you hear some of our long time fans still rave about him.

My generation: Joe Campbell was the most electric Raider I ever saw. The late Bobby Bowden said "man that 21 could run" after Joe put up over 100 yards on his top ranked Seminoles.

You have to consider Kelly Holcomb who came in as freshman star and rode the wave to a long professional career.

Dwone Hicks? A beast.

KB? Has the Mayor of Murfreesboro done enough to be considered our best pro ever? Hard to say otherwise but if I had to put up a fight, Don Griffin has a lot of accolades.

Geeze, some great players would be left out. I mean seriously, if this were to happen and Coach Murphy and Boots have two spots locked we all truly know that there's only slot left because Sidney McPhee is putting himself in spot #1.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hop45
If you factor in NFL achievements it's pretty clear. Byard, Richie James, Erik Walden, and probably an older player I'm forgetting. Dwone Hicks ?

I still contend Kerry Wright was the best player I've seen wear blue. If he didn't pull a hammy and get overlooked afterwards with the Colts he would have had a big NFL career. Dude was unguardable and not utilized properly by our offensive coaches. Still, he put up good numbers despite these things.

Joe Campbell and Mike Caldwell. The top 10 players of the Boot’s D2 era were probably better than the top 10 players of the D1 Stock era.
Depends on how they're being compared. If we're taking how they performed in the NFL into consideration, Stock probably has the upper hand. One common trend is their best players were DB's (Oldham and Griffin for Boots, Bearden, Blankenship and Ward for Stock.

football Mt. Rushmore:​

Frank Faulkinberry
Red Floyd
Horace Jones
Bubber Murphy
Boots Donnelly

Boots Donnelly
Bubber Murphy
Don Griffin
Ray Oldham
Joe Campbell
Dwone Hicks