ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL What's the three hardest tasks facing the next coach?

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Has to be one of the hardest jobs, made even harder over the last decade, by the previous coaching regime. "Shouldn't be that hard" doesn't seem to reflect the reality of the environment. Where does a new coach and his staff start.

In this day and age I really believe any job can be viable. Just look at what Jerry Kill did at NMSU in 2 seasons.

Coaching matters. It matters a lot.

I actually don't think this is one of the hardest jobs. New facilities, the growth we have around the area, and hopefully the formation of a collective should put us in a good position. I'm not saying it will be an easy job, but I think it's doable.

In terms of tasks that will present challenges....the lack of NIL/collective will certainly be one. I don't see how we can't have one at this point, so it's going to have to get done. Somehow, someway.

In my opinion rebuilding the fanbase and filling Floyd will be the biggest challenge. MT Football has never been consistently supported by the community (and you can argue a million reasons as to why). Look at schools like Liberty, App St, Coastal, etc. that are filling their stadiums on a Tuesday night for an ESPN game. That's what we need here in Murfreesboro, but I truly don't know if even a top 10 ranking would be enough.

The community has just never consistently been there. Not many people seem to care about the University or it's athletics. It is taken for granted and largely ignored. It also feels like the general community is born an orange fan by default and that never changes. And I have no idea how you can change that. I don't think you can actually.

But if we are going to take a positive approach to the situation.....hopefully a winning culture might change that.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaiderDeez
1) Local connections. The staff should be first name basis with every high school coach in middle Tennessee and within a couple of years, the state. Someone from Murfreesboro schools should be on the roster at all times. It helps build that community bond. There is easily at least one D1 guy at one of the schools to recruit every year.

2) Fan connections. The new guy should host a banquet of sorts for fans. A meet and greet to build a rapor. And not just for BRAA members. Fan connection is of the utmost importance. Should also be extremely involved in community engagement events, charities, and fundraisers.

3) Portal knowledge. I'd prefer someone who has HC experience. But if we grab a high level coordinator from a championship type team, knowledge of how the portal works is important.

4) NIL. He should want to and engage the starting of a collective and have it work hand in hand with Hans just as other schools do.

5) Understand TN and our area. Beating Vandy and Memphis matter. Besting WKU matters.

6) Be personable. Stock was amazing with players obviously. Respected by peers. But we need someone who doesn't look miserable at a presser. Who isn't afraid to say "well we sucked today. Our defense was Swiss cheese. Their QB is awesome. We gotta fix that and not play like dirt. It's gonna be a rough week of practice I tell ya." Fans appreciate that more than "Well I thought our guys played tough. I'm proud of them." They must know how to work the mics.

7) Student engagement. Encourage marketing students, media, student newspapers, fan blogs, etc. Be on campus. Eat at the SU once a week. Use the students and their ideas to grow.

And that is just a start.

This first year is going to be a beast. Roster management cleanup is going to be a massive chore. Like Colorado levels to get this roster back to a D1 level. And then all the off the field stuff CM is going to be asking for. Probably a job for someone without kids.

1. Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting!

Seriously, we need much better talent. The prior staff did not put in the work of building relationships or or getting into schools. We picked the low hanging fruit. We need to get competitive on the recruiting trail fast.

2. Fan relationships.

We need a guy who realizes the importance of building a relationship with the fans, students, alumni. For most schools with football programs, the head coach is often the most front and center guy in the entire university. I do feel like we have untapped potential. The fans and alumni can give the program what it needs, but not if you treat the fans like they are simply inconveniences of the job.

I don’t have a 3rd thing. Do those two things and success will follow.

1. Recruiting and player development. Pretty obvious when comparing to top teams in G5 seen over the last 5-7 years— especially with the newbie schools. It would be helpful to hire at least one assistant coach on offense and defense that had P5 or even NFL experience. Judicious use of the transfer portal will be essential.

2. Sell MT Blue Raider product effectively: Fan engagement and promoter abilities are vital. Rebuilding relationships with high schools locally as well as hotbed areas of the South. Show why MT Blue Raiders are THE team in Middle Tennessee. Assist with fundraising, as needed.

3. Facilities and media: Help fast track “Build Blue” phases to the fullest extent possible. Lobby for a new IPF with an indoor track. Insist on upgrading video board and refurbishing substandard aspects (paint, seating, banners, etc.) of the stadium to make it look fresh before opening game in September. We need a fresh look on branding publicity. Also, insist on expanding radio and media outlets to saturate Middle Tennessee and adjacent areas with significant population.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT