ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL What will it take for MT to get nationally ranked IYO?

making it throught the wku/marshall/uab road swing and assuming we beat utep/odu/charlotte as well to remain undefeated in conference.

btw, utsa beat down uab today...

making it throught the wku/marshall/uab road swing and assuming we beat utep/odu/charlotte as well to remain undefeated in conference.

btw, utsa beat down uab today...

The UTSA win was solid. I think we may find ourselves ranked with 3 more wins in a row.

Tonights UTEP loss felt just about as sickening and heartbreaking as the Middle Tennessee vs Denver Pioneers loss (57-58) in the Sun Belt Tournament back in 2006. Was hoping we'd get a AP or Coaches poll ranking, but guess it will have to wait until next year. Now we can start working towards our 12 or 13 seed with an automatic bid; still plenty to play for in preparation of the C-USA Tournament...maybe we can at least get that.

Tonights UTEP loss felt just about as sickening and heartbreaking as the Middle Tennessee vs Denver Pioneers loss (57-58) in the Sun Belt Tournament back in 2006. Was hoping we'd get a AP or Coaches poll ranking, but guess it will have to wait until next year. Now we can start working towards our 12 or 13 seed with an automatic bid; still plenty to play for in preparation of the C-USA Tournament...maybe we can at least get that.

All our goals are before us. It was a tough loss but we are still in great shape. The Denver Lisa was in the tourney and in our gym and heart breaking. Tonight's loss hurts but isn't ruining our season.

The loss was frustrating. It ended any real shot at MT cracking the Top 25 this season. It started to make it look more like reality that should MT falter in the conf tourney, it will be NIT here we come! Losing on the road to a team with a top 100 RPI doesn't hurt that bad. Losing to a team with a 300+ RPI wrecks an at large bid.

Reactions: MTTim
UTEP may have a 300+ RPI but with the return of the 7'1" Willims and the development of several younger players they aren't the team they were earlier this year. Only loss in the last 7 games was by 3 @WKU. Interesting test will be next Thurs. when they host LaTech. A win would guarantee no worse than a tie for 2nd in the conference loss column.

Have to remember that we played like crap and lost to the hottest team in the conference by only 3 at their place.

After sleeping not as upset about the loss. It is a shame that everything has to be perfect now.

The argument I think Kermit makes is that losses are going to happen in college basketball but if we have fan support, recruits will come and you will have more of a cushion for losses with noteriety.

I still think if we win out and lose in the final we get an at large.

I think the loss may be a blessing in disguise. Brings them down to Earth a tad. Wake up call if you will..

I still think if we win out and lose in the final we get an at large.

Not gonna happen. CUSA is arguably the worst league in basketball. It would be without us. There's no way CUSA is getting 2 bids.

Not gonna happen. CUSA is arguably the worst league in basketball. It would be without us. There's no way CUSA is getting 2 bids.

These guys have to get their heads on straight, resolve whatever issues, if any, they are struggling with. Last year's squad was challenged more often, but was 9-1 in games decided by three points or less. This team hasn't been challenged and had to respond like last year's squad.

This team has to win the conference tourney, it may not fair, but that's the way it appears to be. Win it or it's the NIT.

Last edited:
Honestly, if we can't win the CUSA tournament, we have no business in the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: MTTim
Agree, at large not likely. But I wouldn't be surprised to get one if we lose in the championship. Vanderbilt and Ole Miss's RPI nearing 50. UNCW still top 50. Belmont top 100. The conference is terrible but we're not the only ones that play in a bad one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT