ADVERTISEMENT

What about this thought?

BRaiderDave

All American
Jul 26, 2005
If we make this move to the MAC our football recruiting philosophy (such as it is) will have to change a bit. Successful recruiting is influenced heavily by the relationships college coaches have with HS coaches. Stockstill is strictly a Florida and Georgia coach. Could he look at us moving to a midwest conference and say to himself "Screw this. I don't have many contacts there and this means I'm gonna have to work to get players now"? The man turns 64 next month and has a nice retirement house down in 30A. This just might be the impetus for him to shut it down on his career. Just a thought.

If we make this move to the MAC our football recruiting philosophy (such as it is) will have to change a bit. Successful recruiting is influenced heavily by the relationships college coaches have with HS coaches. Stockstill is strictly a Florida and Georgia coach. Could he look at us moving to a midwest conference and say to himself "Screw this. I don't have many contacts there and this means I'm gonna have to work to get players now"? The man turns 64 next month and has a nice retirement house down in 30A. This just might be the impetus for him to shut it down on his career. Just a thought.
I have to think you are on to something there. The dude just looks tired. This move means more work from him, not less. We have to hope for his retirement because he ain't leaving any other way. He'll get the state pension and Social security on top of everything else. Sheesh. He milked us like a Wyoming cow in the morning.

It wouldn't be surprised if MT started pushing up to recruit IN, OH, and IL with a transition to the MAC.

There's some good HS football in those areas of the country.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Stuckstill has a gravy job with no pressure. I don't see him going anywhere.

As far as recruiting, he may sign more transfers.

Reactions: C-Bow
I don't see our recruiting territory changing all that much re-MAC vs new CUSA.

Neither conference is located within our ideal territory - the MAC is mid-western, and new CUSA is flung out across 3/4th of the entire continent.

MT needs to draw a circle about 4 hours in all directions from Murfreesboro. That's all of Tennessee, which is a good state and getting better for talent. That gives us Atlanta, Memphis, most of Alabama and a good chunk of Mississippi and Kentucky stretching to the Ohio River. Fill the classes from that radius, and you'll have a MAC contender more often than not. Supplement it with some Florida guys and we'll have more talented rosters than most of our conference competition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT