ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Western Kentucky @ Middle Tennessee (ASN), 5PM, Saturday, January 14, 2017

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Middle Tennessee (14-3, 4-0 C-USA) vs. Western Kentucky Hilltoppers (9-9, 3-2 C-USA)

Date: Saturday, January 14

Tip-Off: 5:00 p.m. CT

TV: American Sports Network, -Comcast: Channel 14/1014, DirecTV: Channel 30, Dish: Channel 30, AT&T U-verse: Channel 30

Online Streaming: Click here

Radio: 1450 AM, 89.5 FM, 97.5 FM, 100.5 FM, 101.9 FM, 102.5 FM,

Free Audio: Click here

Series Record: 133rd meeting; WKU leads series 93-39

Last Meeting: February 25, 2016 (WKU 78, MT 72)

Rosters: MT/WKU

warren nolan live rpi: MT #21 / WKU #227

Live-RPI.com: MT #21 / WKU #233

Sagarin: MT #61 / WKU #225

Pomeroy: MT #57 / WKU #244

KPI: MT #22 / WKU #231

Last edited:
excerpt:

...The Western Kentucky Hilltoppers and Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders meet Saturday in college basketball action at the Murphy Athletic Center.

The Western Kentucky Hilltoppers look for a spark of consistency after splitting their last 12 games. The Western Kentucky Hilltoppers are averaging 68.6 points on 43.1 percent shooting and allowing 72.2 points on 45 percent shooting. Que Johnson is averaging 14.7 points and 1.8 assists while Justin Johnson is averaging 12.9 points and 8.2 rebounds. Pancake Thomas is the third double-digit scorer and Anton Waters is grabbing 4.8 rebounds. The Western Kentucky Hilltoppers are shooting 36.1 percent from beyond the arc and 68.8 percent from the free throw line. The Western Kentucky Hilltoppers are allowing 35.6 percent shooting from deep and are grabbing 32.4 rebounds per game. The Western Kentucky Hilltoppers have lost seven of their last 10 road games.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders look to stay hot after winning eight of their last 10 games. The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders are averaging 72 points on 46.6 percent shooting and allowing 64.9 points on 42.4 percent shooting. JaCorey Williams is averaging 17.4 points and two assists while Giddy Potts is averaging 15.9 points and 5.5 rebounds. Reggie Upshaw is the third double-digit scorer and Edward Simpson is dishing 2.7 assists. The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders are shooting 38.2 percent from beyond the arc and 65.9 percent from the free throw line. The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders are allowing 34.7 percent shooting from deep and are grabbing 32.2 rebounds per game. The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders have won four of their last five home games.

The Hilltoppers are 4-1-1 ATS in their last 6 games as an underdog and 5-11-1 ATS in their last 17 games overall. The Blue Raiders are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 home games and 9-2 ATS in their last 11 games overall. The road team is 4-0 ATS in the last 4 meetings.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders are not only winning games, but they've been covering those games and are 11-5 ATS on the season overall. If that wasn't enough, Middle Tennessee has won eight of the last 10 games against WKU. Western Kentucky looks like a team that's lost its way and is just 5-10-1 ATS this season......

I swear, Gamble looks like a deer in headlights when he gets the basketball in his hands.

Felt at times like we had a chance to run them out of the gym. I won't complain about a 15 point margin over the Toppers though. Suffered through too many losses to them over the years to ever take a win for granted.

6,806 attendance for those wondering.

While I know the home crowds have been a big topic on here, I've got to say I was shocked at the lack of WKU fans there tonight. Had to be 50 tops.

Felt at times like we had a chance to run them out of the gym. I won't complain about a 15 point margin over the Toppers though. Suffered through too many losses to them over the years to ever take a win for granted.

6,806 attendance for those wondering.
I'm not complaining about the 15 point margin of victory either. The line was us -14.5. Kermit is the man!!!!

Reactions: C-Bow
BGDN:
http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/w...cle_33459756-43aa-5546-89b5-da32cb8b57b1.html
Williams, Blue Raiders too much for Hilltoppers

excerpt:

...WKU (9-10 overall, 3-3 Conference USA) lost Saturday despite shooting 29-of-49 (59.2 percent) from the field. The Toppers’ good shooting was nullified by a 36-of-58 (62.1 percent) effort by Middle Tennessee (15-3, 5-0).

The Blue Raiders posted a whopping 25 assists on their 38 made baskets and outrebounded WKU 34-19, scoring 18 second-chance points off 15 offensive rebounds.

“There’s no question they’re the best team in this league,” Toppers coach Rick Stansbury said of MTSU, which sits alone atop C-USA. “They’re well coached, they play hard, they have good pieces.

“You can tell they’re a veteran basketball team. They don’t make many mistakes defensively losing assignments or offensively not executing.”

Stansbury then went a step farther in his praise, saying the Blue Raiders would be one of the best squads in the Southeastern Conference.

Middle Tennessee beat SEC teams Mississippi and Vanderbilt by a combined 38 points during nonconference play. The Blue Raiders’ RPI ranking of 21 entering Saturday was better than every SEC team except Florida (No. 3) and Kentucky (No. 5).

“Are they the third-best team in the SEC?” Stansbury said. “Think about that. I’m not so sure they’re not.

“Outside of Kentucky and Florida, who’s better than them? I think they’re that good.

“And they’re experienced. They’re well put together. (Coach Kermit Davis) does a good job with them. So they’re going to be a tough out for anybody, anywhere.” .....

When we beat the Hilltoppers..

"taking it like a champ!!!"

negan-head-explode.jpg

Saw a tweet from Massaro apologizing for parking/traffic situation exiting Greenland lot. What was going on over there? We always park on Faulkinberry and had no issues.

Not sure, always park in another lot, but decided to walk to eat at a local place after the game so we did not have to fight traffic. The university has no idea about traffic and parking and the part it plays in discouraging people who might otherwise come to the game.

Last edited:
The campus police closed one of the exits from the Greenland lot forcing everyone to use one exit. No excuse for this crap. Good crowd, great game and then you want to piss off people trying to leave.

Reactions: T2Tool
Can we request to not have the Jeff Van Gundy looking ref any more. He is consistently horrible and obviously has a dislike for Kermit. Seems like he calls every game we play and he absolutely sucks!

The campus police closed one of the exits from the Greenland lot forcing everyone to use one exit. No excuse for this crap. Good crowd, great game and then you want to piss off people trying to leave.
One game last year they pulled the same stunt making everyone go straight on Lascassas or right on Greenland. I always go left to get back to MT Blvd and on Memorial west to Franklin. I was all the way to Oakland HS before I realized what they had made me do.

Can we request to not have the Jeff Van Gundy looking ref any more. He is consistently horrible and obviously has a dislike for Kermit. Seems like he calls every game we play and he absolutely sucks!

I made the comment to my wife before the game we were in trouble with this guy. He does not belong on the court in 1-A basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT