ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT: Favorite sports bar in the Boro?

The Boulevard, The Goat and MJ’s are my go to “sports bars” depending on what vibe I’m looking for. Watching South Carolina beat down Tennessee last year at MJ’s was extremely entertaining.

The Boulevard, The Goat and MJ’s are my go to “sports bars” depending on what vibe I’m looking for. Watching South Carolina beat down Tennessee last year at MJ’s was extremely entertaining.
I was in MJ's for first time Wednesday... I liked it

I went to GOAT once... Ran out of Jack and had no other bottles... Epic fail

Reactions: ewglenn
the boulevard was really nice last time I was in town.

Puffing Billy’s. - takes me back.

Maybe, but I can’t see you going out of your way totally off topic with an irrelevant shot at Memphis. But then maybe I’m wrong??
I’m moderating an MTSU board, not Memphis. If you want to get technical, plenty of your comments could be examples of ”irrelevant shots” at a wide range of things. I’ve allowed every single one of them and enjoy the banter.

Irrelevant shots at Memphis are always fun because it's the rectum of the state of Tennessee. It also happens to be the location of West Tennessee State Normal School.
Which further begs the question why were the last three most recent appointments to the top positions at MTSU (Interim President, President and SVP of Finance) were moved over to Murfreesboro from Memphis???

And let’s not forget Fowler, West and Mallory???????

SMH.

Last edited:
From an investment perspective. There are parts of memphis that would be a gold mine (real estate) wise if you got in now.

The question is…would these areas gentrify and when.

Which further begs the question why were the last three most recent appointments to the top positions at MTSU (Interim President, President and SVP of Finance) were moved over to Murfreesboro from Memphis???

And let’s not forget Fowler, West and Mallory???????

SMH.
The state has gone to great lengths to lure Memphis to Murfreesboro.

Does Jim's count? Last time I was there we drank $3 pitchers of natty and ate free hotdogs. Great day
Back in the day our favorite was the Woodbury Rd Jim's. After a couple hours we declared their hotdogs some of the best ever. Despite no ketchup, mustard, or relish. Come to think of it their may have been no tv's their either.

From an investment perspective. There are parts of memphis that would be a gold mine (real estate) wise if you got in now.

The question is…would these areas gentrify and when.
Not me. No area inside Shelby County is safe enough for my taste to live in. My sister and several friends have moved to Fayette County. Got tired of the mid-town break-Ins. Both of my vehicles and windows were broken into two weeks after I moved back to Germantown in ‘98. Thankfully, I got transferred to Brentwood in ‘99. Never looked back except to go watch football games and get out right after.

Eliza Fletcher was abducted less than 200 feet from the same intersection where Antioch and Memphis Footballer, Taylor Bradford hit a tree and died after being shot in a robbery attempt at Carpenter Complex student housing on Central Ave. That one made First 48. If you are familiar with the campus, it’s right in front of the Engineering Technology Building.

My college roommate’s teenage niece recently escaped an abduction attempt in Harbortown.
https://www.actionnews5.com/2023/06...nt-another-woman-nearly-kidnapped-mud-island/

Last edited:
it’s a mess. The city has a lot of crime problems bit man, as an investor, there are areas with potential if they could get their stuff straight.

Irrelevant shots at Memphis are always fun because it's the rectum of the state of Tennessee. It also happens to be the location of West Tennessee State Normal School.
I've always said if Tennessee needed an enema, the tube be inserted in Memphis.

This thread is going off topic so I’ll add my 2 cents. I’ve always found the “my city versus your city, state vs state, country vs country” thing lame. It’s all subjective. I grew up in Nashville from 1986-2004, lived in Murfreesboro from 2004-2011, and Memphis from 2011-present. Every place had pros and cons. Memphis isn’t a bad place to live, contrary to its reputation

When it comes to sports, to their credit, Memphis supports their teams. I couldn’t care less about the grizzlies or tigers. Im a diehard MT and Titans fan, and it’s very rare to find that combo around here, but who cares? Go Blue Raiders!

Back on topic, I vote the boulevard

Reactions: BlueAlpha
Would have voted Boulevard, but after going to Happy's, I give them the nod. Needs a bit more food selections, but what we did eat was really good and TONS of TVs in the back.

Yeah Happy’s is a great spot. Boro Bourbon and Brews should be opening any day now and seems like a new upscale sports bar. There’s also talks of a speakeasy coming to the square.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT