ADVERTISEMENT

Vandy's coach at SEC media days

blueraiderJT

Hall of Famer
Oct 15, 2006
By the way this coach talks, you'd think they won 11 games last year and are looking at a national championship this year.

"I know Kyle just got back from the Manning camp, where he had a chance to really test that football I.Q. a little bit. And I walked into the room a couple of weeks ago, and I hear this music down the hall. I go into our team room, and I’m really expecting to see a group of guys because I hear music going on. Like most coaches — everybody’s in there. My head’s bopping because the music is so loud. I go in. It’s Kyle Shurmur. He’s looking at Middle Tennessee. And he asked me a couple questions about defensive structure, I want to attack this guy, here’s what it looks like. That’s what I want from my quarterback. He’s got to be that guy, not some of the time, but all of the time."

I hope they keep studying our game film from last year. They do know we have a completely new DC right? Shafer knows how to call plays so I'm not worried about these guys. They will be formidable but dominant? No. We killed ourselves last year. I think we will be more focused and driven. Let's see how camp goes.

He did say this though...

"Q. Derek, I know you relish facing elite coaches. Alabama is your SEC opener this year. What are your thoughts on facing a Nick Saban team, and what influences maybe has he had on you as a defensive guy?

COACH MASON: Well, it starts with me facing Coach Stockstill. He’s pretty elite. He’s been to five consecutive bowl games. MTSU is going to be a worthy opponent, and we have to go there and play."

Here's more if you care...

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/v...g-impressive-derek-mason-said-sec-media-days/

Mason has always been complimentary of us. I think in the back of his mind he knows we have gift wrapped two W's to him

Last edited:
Reactions: blueraiderJT
Definitely coachspeak. We have a new DC but we still have West coaching the DL. Webb may have a field day.

I've noted before you can not lose to the two other FBS programs within a hundred miles of your campus several years in a row and not expect to lose your job. Vandy really is a must win here. It's more important in some ways that the game at wku, but that is another must win. We've also lost homecoming two straight years (vandy, wku). Homecoming against FIU is another must have win (Butch Davis against CRS? Even if I were a betting man, I wouldn't touch it.) Let's say CRS continues the streak of losses against vandy, wku, and homecoming. MT must be the only place where there won't be a question of a head coach returning the next season with such results.

Reactions: VARaider84
For some reason, I feel like we will unload on them this year. I just do. They do have talent but with Shafer calling the plays from the box and with a better scheme that focuses on run stop, I just feel like we will slow their run game down enough to frustrate them. On offense, I think Brent's repaired shoulders are gonna allow him to be his old self and I think we will take care of the ball better. If Henderson and Bruce can get off of the launch pad, we will be absolutely loaded at WR. Henderson was a Miami commit and a 3-4 star recruit. Time to earn those stars and step up. Same for Bruce. If they can, we will be sick on O. Lee could then share time between WR and RB.

I don't know. I just think we win this one. Mason talking up Schumer is sort of ridiculous. I would much rather force him to beat us rather than Webb. We turned it over like 4 times last year and Webb ran through us. We gift wrapped that win for them. So to me it's simple. Load up the box on the inside and dare Schumer to throw or force Webb to run outside. Contain and just try to keep them off schedule.

Webb is approx. 1,200 yards from passing Bo Jackson for #2 in the SEC behind Herschel. Hell, he could realistically be a 1/4 of the way there after the game with MT if West's guys don't bother to show up. He destroyed Tennessee last year.

Webb is great no doubt. We won't ever shut him down. However, if we can get it in his way, slow him down and force VU to get desperate, that's where we will succeed.

BTW, that's not all on the DT's and DE's either. The LB's have to do their jobs and plug the gaps. LB's stop the run just as much as the D line does and I think with Shafer and the new LB coach, we will be much better at that position. We won't line up 6-7 yards off of the LOS on an obvious run play like we did with Nix. Who are we ever stopping with that scheme? Shafer is a P5 DC. He's too good to call crap like that and he's up in the box. He will adjust much better than being on the sidelines not seeing most of the game like Nix.

Oh yeah, there's Brady. Not many ran on Brady while at Mizzou. I think Vandy will be in for a surprise. Vandy is also 0-3 in opening games since Mason got there. That matters too. We shouldn't have a 2 hour game delay or a memorial service in the middle of the dang game like last year either. All of these factors will improve our play since last year's game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT