ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL USA Today 2017 Coach Compensation

FranklinRaider315

Hall of Famer
Jun 24, 2009
Franklin, TN
$5,112,070.00 Buyout is ranked 45th just under Bielema at Arkansas. SMDH. Career record 75-71 with zero outright conference championships.

Last edited:
I don't believe the buyout is correct. He triggered an auto extension last year through the 2024 season. At $800K and seven years that's $5.6 million plus he is still owed the $100K raise from 2015 (due in '19), so technically he is owed $5.7M right now. I assume any delayed raises (which he could still trigger this year technically as well as next year) get kicked back in. Let's pretend he wins out getting to 7-5 this year and then hits seven wins again next year. That would put him at $1.1 million in 2019 and still have seven years left on the contract (bringing his buyout to $7.7 million). As long as he keeps getting to 7 wins we are automatically going to owe more in future years than we do now. Financially speaking you can certainly make the argument for cutting now before he adds on with more championshipless seven-win seasons.

Last edited:
I don't believe the buyout is correct. He triggered an auto extension last year through the 2024 season. At $800K and seven years that's $5.6 million plus he is still owed the $100K raise from 2015 (due in '19), so technically he is owed $5.7M right now. I assume any delayed raises (which he could still trigger this year technically as well as next year) get kicked back in. Let's pretend he wins out getting to 7-5 this year and then hits seven wins again next year. That would put him at $1.1 million in 2019 and still have seven years left on the contract (bringing his buyout to $7.7 million). As long as he keeps getting to 7 wins we are automatically going to owe more in future years than we do now. Financially speaking you can certainly make the argument for cutting now before he adds on with more championshipless seven-win seasons.

It think its not just 7 wins but enough wins in CUSA play (needs 6), the best we can do is 5-3, so no raise.

I got a thousand, you got a thousand? And can we find 5000 other folks?

I would rather ask him to restructure the contract...give him a raise now to $1.1, but get rid of the automatic restrictions and give him a short guarantee, like 2 years.

Last edited:
Three criteria

1. 7 wins total OR 6 conference wins.
2. 940 APR
3. No NCAA violations.

Three criteria

2. 940 APR
3. No NCAA violations.

Ok, thx for clarifying...like I stated, someone should ask him to renegotiate, trade more money now for less guarantee and change the standards. Specifically #1 to 9 wins total or 7 conf wins.

Keep in mind when CRS went to Massaro to restructure to postpone his raise they upped it from six wins and five conference wins.

Keep in mind when CRS went to Massaro to restructure to postpone his raise they upped it from six wins and five conference wins.

Lets negotiate again...the problem with the contract isn't the amount he is paid yearly, its the buy out. We can't be on the hook for 5-6M.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Lets negotiate again...the problem with the contract isn't the amount he is paid yearly, its the buy out. We can't be on the hook for 5-6M.

We have no leverage. Why would he deal? He has the contract of a lifetime. What you would be asking him to do is negotiate a contract that will make it easier for us to fire him. Why would he ever agree to that?

My gosh we are stuck with him until he retires or finds another job. No way we can pay that much.

Which is why i have been pointing out all these threads about firing him are pointless drivel.

We have no leverage. Why would he deal? He has the contract of a lifetime. What you would be asking him to do is negotiate a contract that will make it easier for us to fire him. Why would he ever agree to that?

If he cares one bit about the university he will resign.

Which is why i have been pointing out all these threads about firing him are pointless drivel.
I wonder though if it would cost us just as much to have our collapsing fan support continue and donors drop off too? I know tickets are a huge source of income and obviously we will not be earning much the rest of the year. Over a few years, wonder how much we'd lose by averaging less than 10,000 - and many (1/2?) of those students?

I wonder though if it would cost us just as much to have our collapsing fan support continue and donors drop off too? I know tickets are a huge source of income and obviously we will not be earning much the rest of the year. Over a few years, wonder how much we'd lose by averaging less than 10,000 - and many (1/2?) of those students?

How many of those donors who have walked away or throwing a fit right now are the exact same ones in Massaro ' s ear telling him to do everything he can to make sure CRS doesn't take the ECU and Memphis jobs? There are some people out there outside of the athletic department who are just as complicit and just as responsible for this as anyone within the Murphy Center.

How many of those donors who have walked away or throwing a fit right now are the exact same ones in Massaro ' s ear telling him to do everything he can to make sure CRS doesn't take the ECU and Memphis jobs? There are some people out there outside of the athletic department who are just as complicit and just as responsible for this as anyone within the Murphy Center.
There is a difference in a valid attempt to hang on to a coach, though, and opening up the bank and offering him a contract that is so one-sided that we could NEVER get out from under it.

If he cares one bit about the university he will resign.
Haven’t you heard? He “donated” back three years worth of anticipated salary bumps, (roughly $300,000) to be redirected to the student athlete COA Fund.........in exchange for 3 extra years ($2.4 Million) guaranteed. He ain’t resigning. Would you walk away from $5.7 Million guaranteed? I wouldn’t. Our AD is the one who swallowed hook line and sinker for this.

Dave, nothing you said is untrue; however, here is the reality. We have a noobie athletic director at the time who had never gone through this and we had a fan base led by a group of what I guess you would call our bigger donors who absolutely lost their minds and we're completely irrational about what was going on (because they were noobs at this too) and essentially gave CM the blank check to do whatever needed to be done. Because heaven forbid our coach go to Memphis. It was a total clusterf*** all the way around and those donors we are talking about are just as responsible for this. If the donors who are the ones who drive the bus when the coach is fired then you can't absolve these people for what happened in 2009. Those are the facts. All of you who want to continue to deal in emotion and irrational behavior is the exact same thing that led to this mess. I told Big Blue Brad as soon as that deal was announced that it was going to come back to bite us. Now, everyone including those who allowed it to happen want to wash there hands of it. The biggest error CM made was not cutting the cord in 2011 when CRS lost that team.

Last edited:
Not me. I offered to help him if he took the Memphis job. Sat in Farley’s office and he told me to my face he had no interest in going to Memphis. He said no to a lot of money then but it was more a “no” to RC Johnson and their lack of support for football. Tommy West probably had something to do with it as well.
Back to your point, I disagree that some of “us” had anything to with this current agreement. Hell, Memphis would offer no longer than 5 years. Whoever agreed to this 8 year deal wasn’t thinking.

This is absolutely nuts. Just reading 01's numbers of CRS salary in 2019 plus his buyout seems like a runaway train.

A school like MTSU should never have a coach locked up more than two years. I believe schools continually getting their coach poached is a good thing...it means you are doing something right.

The behind the scenes stories of pressure from donors is kind of funny. If this is true (none of this is sourced and could be conjecture), what did these donors use as leverage? Doesn't matter who influenced him or what donors would have pulled out. Personal Responsibility.

For the record. I was one who was hoping he would have left for another school.

There almost seems to be as wide a gulf between the athletic department/administration as there is a political divide in the nation.

To me, the credibility with fans of this football program and the athletic department/university as it relates to football is as low as I can imagine it's ever been.

At any other university, a loss to injury of it's star QB and star WR would get a pass from its fans. At any other program, wins on the road against SEC and ACC foes in consecutive years would have some built in good will. But this has been building for a long time.

There are some things fans really care about. Rivalries, conference and in-state. This program has gone from beating vandy three straight times to losing three straight times. It has gone from beating wku with some regularity to losing and seeing them as the two time defending champions and having received top 25 votes over the past few years. The last two years MT has not even competed against Marshall in blowout humiliating losses. Even memphis who MT has dominated in football in its series, has arguably the best team in the whole damn state. There is a strong sense of a rapid slide of this program.

Every single time it seems there is a home game of significance and some creditable television coverage of it the coaches and players $#!+ the bed. Every time there is a decent crowd, this program fails to show up.

And don't get me started on our pathetic record in bowl games...

Quite frankly I get sick of the whining of utk fans about Butch Jones everywhere. I think, my gosh, what if they had CRS?

Fire Massaro first. Offer two options to CRS. 1. Resign and we give you $2m over the next two years. 2. Be fired and we will see you in court over the contract.
Hire a hot shot lawyer to keep this in the legal system for years while we attempt to put out this dumbster fire.
Worst outcome is we are out legal fees.
Invoke the nuclear option.

Reactions: VARaider84
Three criteria

2. 940 APR
3. No NCAA violations.

We're screwed.

We either:

a. kidnap a player so he doesn't go to class, thereby failing the APR benchmark. This seems like it's unfair to said player.

b. offer them a bag full of cash, get it on tape, and then go to the NCAA thereby violating the "no NCAA violations" rule. I like this one, even though it might set us back a year. That said, what would set us back more, NCAA penalties or being stuck under Stockstill.

We're screwed.

We either:

a. kidnap a player so he doesn't go to class, thereby failing the APR benchmark. This seems like it's unfair to said player.

b. offer them a bag full of cash, get it on tape, and then go to the NCAA thereby violating the "no NCAA violations" rule. I like this one, even though it might set us back a year. That said, what would set us back more, NCAA penalties or being stuck under Stockstill.
Drastic times call for drastic action. I like your thinking.

Reactions: Predarat
I hope to God you guys are joking. I mean, really, y'all need to take step back from the ledge, take your meds, or something. Read your stuff before you post because the rest of the world can see this nonsense. Some of you have lost your damn minds over kids playing college ball.

Last edited:
I hope to God you guys are joking. I mean, really, y'all need to take step back from the ledge, take your meds, or something. Read your stuff before you post because the rest of the world can see this nonsense. Some of you have lost your damn minds over kids playing college ball.

I'm being extremely serious.

Can I put you down for the kidnap plot or for the sabotage?

I haven't seen any joking happening on this board about CRS. I seriously can see some of you trying to create violations out of spite. Irregardless, some of the stuff I read on the boards demonstrates some serious issues with some folks.

There almost seems to be as wide a gulf between the athletic department/administration as there is a political divide in the nation.

To me, the credibility with fans of this football program and the athletic department/university as it relates to football is as low as I can imagine it's ever been.

At any other university, a loss to injury of it's star QB and star WR would get a pass from its fans. At any other program, wins on the road against SEC and ACC foes in consecutive years would have some built in good will. But this has been building for a long time.

There are some things fans really care about. Rivalries, conference and in-state. This program has gone from beating vandy three straight times to losing three straight times. It has gone from beating wku with some regularity to losing and seeing them as the two time defending champions and having received top 25 votes over the past few years. The last two years MT has not even competed against Marshall in blowout humiliating losses. Even memphis who MT has dominated in football in its series, has arguably the best team in the whole damn state. There is a strong sense of a rapid slide of this program.

Every single time it seems there is a home game of significance and some creditable television coverage of it the coaches and players $#!+ the bed. Every time there is a decent crowd, this program fails to show up.

And don't get me started on our pathetic record in bowl games...

Quite frankly I get sick of the whining of utk fans about Butch Jones everywhere. I think, my gosh, what if they had CRS?

Well said. Sums up very well why no one is happy right now.

I haven't seen any joking happening on this board about CRS. I seriously can see some of you trying to create violations out of spite. Irregardless, some of the stuff I read on the boards demonstrates some serious issues with some folks.

C'mon man.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
C'mon man.

We have grown ass men tweeting at players saying the head coach needs to be fired. Go back and read some of the threads over the past week. But we're going to claim everyone is on a rationale plane right now? C'mon Doug.

It’s what makes this whole thing so dad gum infuriating. Everything wrong with all of this can be fixed. We aren’t asking for national championships. Or to be ranked every year.

I myself don’t think it is too much to ask to expect us to win 8-10 games every year. Can’t do that when you are barely .500.

To be in the championship game minimum of every 3 years. We’ve never even been in a final season CUSA game to get there.

Win at least every other bowl game. We are 1-5 people.

I’m not asking to be Alabama. Or heck even what Boise was in the BCS days (although that would be awesome). I just don’t want us to every season live up to the middle name.

We have grown ass men tweeting at players saying the head coach needs to be fired. Go back and read some of the threads over the past week. But we're going to claim everyone is on a rationale plane right now? C'mon Doug.

So what.

Stay off twitter if all you want is sunshine and rainbows. And let's not ignore multiple incidents of players provoking a lot of these reactions calling out the fans. I wouldn't tweet at any players (I don't really care what they think, they're not exactly unbiased), but if the only thing that's going on is tweeting about a coach's job performance, that's pretty mild.

The head coach does need to be fired. The list of coaching incompetence and failures to launch is far to long to list here and goes back years. This is not an irrational thought.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
If people think our social media fan supporters are bad, they need to step out of their bunker. Good grief this is division 1 Football, not the damn NAIA. Hell even some NAIA fan social media supporters are worse than ours. Holy hell, we are so minor league in that, damn near amateur.

What if...CRS turns it around next year and goes on a "Kermit -style run". It would be worth every penny because of the recognition we would get.

Since we have no other option, this is the best that we can hope for. I hope for it. I certainly don't want us to lose football games. I'm getting cynical about our style of losing but I want whoever is coaching to succeed.

I hope noone takes these message boards too seriously. I certainly don't. I always like seeing the people I know on campus ... and I am completely different that JDB. Except I am 5'2 120.

But man, that contract tho....

What if...CRS turns it around next year and goes on a "Kermit -style run". It would be worth every penny because of the recognition we would get.

Since we have no other option, this is the best that we can hope for. I hope for it. I certainly don't want us to lose football games. I'm getting cynical about our style of losing but I want whoever is coaching to succeed.

I think we'd all like to see this.

This isn't a personal vendetta against Stock. We'd all much rather be celebrating conference titles and bowl wins with the team.

The problem is, after 12 years, I and many other fans have zero confidence of this actually happening.

We should just schedule 4 money games a year for the most amount of money we can get and put it toward the buyout fund. 1 of three things will happen. 1 We save up enough money to buy him out. 2. He goes 0-4 in OOC games each year making it hard for him to get the contract extension and his contract eventually ends. 3. He wins OOC games against big time opponents and we are happy.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Haven’t you heard? He “donated” back three years worth of anticipated salary bumps, (roughly $300,000) to be redirected to the student athlete COA Fund.........in exchange for 3 extra years ($2.4 Million) guaranteed. He ain’t resigning. Would you walk away from $5.7 Million guaranteed? I wouldn’t. Our AD is the one who swallowed hook line and sinker for this.

If he doesn't, then he is essentially holding the university hostage over a ludicrous contract that our naive AD forced us into. It's not like he has a reasonable buyout comparative to his coaching results and his salary. It's an unreasonable deal. He is taking advantage of the university.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Pretty much all I can do in regards to Coach Stock.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT