ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee (18-12, 11-8) at UT-El Paso (13-17, 6-13), 1PM, Saturday, March 4, 2023

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Enrollment: 24,879
Arena: Don Haskins Center (12,000)
Colors: Blue, Orange & Silver Nickname: Miners
Series: MT leads 10-5
Head Coach: Joe Golding
Record at School: 20-14 (2nd Season) Career Record: 154-128 (10th Season)
2021-22 Record: 20-14, 11-7 2021-22 Finish: 4th C-USA West 2021-22 Postseason: C-USA Quarterfinal
Starters R/L: 1/4 Letterwinners R/L: 3/12

ESPN+

Murfreesboro – WGNS 101.9 FM / 1450 AM, Smyrna – WGNS 100.5 FM–94.9 The Fan/95.1 in Murfreesboro – The Varsity Network App

Anyone here actually think we are going to make any noise in Frisco?

I don’t.
Oh we are more than capable. But we have had way too many games like today for me to be super hopeful. Yesterday was fouls. Today, no excuse but shooting and defense. They had way more defensive rebounds and we gave them way too many open shots. And we couldn't hit any of ours.

Fouls we had 18, to their 17.
Turnovers both 19

But from the field 43%. UTEP 52%
3pt 32% vs 53%
Free 53% vs 83%..that right there is almost the 11pts in the loss

Whatever chance they had at a C Tournament is
dobby-disappear.gif

We lost six games to the seven lowest ranked teams - all of which were sub .500 in league play.

Even with all his players now CNMs program is the epitome of Jeckyl and Hyde. If you could have mental toughness and acuity below zero that would be this program. Sure they look good getting off the bus but can’t take a punch. They couldn’t fight their way out of a wet paper bag on the road. This group folds like a cheap tent away from home.

My thoughts on the season: C-USA, Sun Belt, OVC are three conferences MT has been a member of in my lifetime. What do they all have in common? All are historically one-bid leagues in men's basketball despite "artificial perceptions" that one conference is clearly better than others. They are really not. At larges are granted in very unusual and rare circumstances. A team's season in these conferences is ultimately judged on two factors: Can said team win regular season title for postseason play? and Can said team win conference tournament and auto NCAA bid? Really comes down to winning three games in three days (unless conference has the lifesaver double bye).

Today, Marshall and Southern Miss lost their conference Quarterfinals game having 24 and 25 wins, respectively. Morehead State lost yesterday at 21 wins. Observations note Southern Miss to NIT (regular season guarantee), but Marshall and Morehead being done short of the CBI or The Basketball Classic or "pay to play" if you will. Florida Atlantic barely won 76-72 tonight at La Tech to close out regular season making them 28-3 to date. They are probably in, should be solidly in, but not ranked today. Realistically, they needed that win to stay afloat in "at large" conversation. Maybe they will be back at 24 or 25 in the polls come Monday. Maybe FAU can afford an opening round C-USA loss next week and open the door for a second C-USA team to enhance revenue sharing (and possibly allowing MT to be the one getting there). But, I wouldn't bank on it given history of what happened to MT in Kermit's last season being ranked and then losing. Conversely, look at Tennessee taking another loss to Auburn-no one is challenging their NCAA tournament selection, in fact they may still keep their ranking well inside the top 25. Vanderbilt may even work into the conversation if they make a deep SEC tournament run and be able to steal a bid on a tight bubble. Margins for error in each of the three aforementioned leagues are practically at zero tolerance if the NCAA's are the desired expectation and standard to achieve. The issue of fairness between P5 and "mid major" in getting multiple bids is another subject for another day.

I say this to emphasize conference tournament means everything when judging success or failure of a season. That's why OVC Tournament almost always is very competitive and very close games because players know the road always ends abruptly if they lose no matter what their season record may be. Psychology and mental toughness are imperative more so than physicality and skill. Little things like missed free throws, extra passes leading to more efficient scoring opportunities/better looks, quickness in steps to force turnovers. Next thing one knows is game gets from a 2,3,4 point margin out to 9,10,11,13, etc. and players have to learn the smarter decisions and have premium effort. Likewise, coaches must diligently focus on teaching players how to think situations and anticipate their best opportunities. How many chances do teams get in competing and winning for a championship? Well for SEMO its going back to "NCAA dance" after 23 years, while Tenn. Tech is at year 60 without a date to the dance. That's why bids means a lot: it brings exposure, alumni back into the fold, and instills excellence and excitement for the team, coaches, and families. One Shining Moment!

Skill sets for those in the game rotation are similar enough this time of year...or should be if team is remotely competitive. I don't see MT mens' team being consistent enough to make a championship happen this year. We're a good 20 to 25-minute team but not 35 and 40. Hopefully we get hot enough and/or a few breaks to make noise and surprise in Texas. We're more likely to win one game and bow out the next. This past road trip was obviously disappointing.

We'll see. It's always fun when tournament week starts. Go Blue Raiders!

Totally agree with Clyde. It's why I'm against expanding the tournament field. There are LOTS of quality non power schools that could make a run if given the chance. And that to me.is what makes March great. It gives the little guys a chance.

Every single bracket prediction I've seen as said has the at large spots going to power teams. My Mountaineers included. WVU finished 18-13 with a losing 7-11 record in conference play. But they are predicted in due to their NET of 25 (which BTW is where our Women's team is).

Same for Auburn mentioned above with 20-11 (10-8) NET 32. Rutgers too 18-11 (10-9) NET 37.

The issue is this. FAU has a NET of 15 and should be in no matter what. But UNT won't. But their NET is 39. They have a losing Q1 record and are 22-3 in Q2-4. Well Auburn also has a losing Q1 record and is 17-2 in Q2-4. By the rationale of Auburn getting in, UNT should too. But they won't. NC St is predicted in with NET of 41 and Oregon with 47. ESPN has Utah St out with a NET of 21.

The names shouldn't matter, but they do. I'm almost to the point it should all be NET and take the human component out but then they'd just change the algorithm to make power games count more.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
My question would be is in essence the NET a tool the NCAA created to give folks like us a standard of meaningless hope? There's a well known mineral called Pyrite. Better known as fools gold. Practically seems that's what the NET is for a lot of deserving schools.
A carrot stick for nibbling, but not having.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
I'm old enough to remember a time (or two) when MT got an at large bid. I remember Louisville being upset that the Raiders got into the Dance and the Cardinals were left out...

It’s horseshit. Sec sent 6 teams last year and after two rounds, only one team remained.

I hardly watched anything last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT