ADVERTISEMENT

Popeye Jones

Blue Raider Lightning

Blue Raider Fan
Jul 31, 2005
I don't watch much NBA basketball, especially during the regular season. But I have peeked at the playoffs mainly because I enjoy seeing Jokic play. As they won the title tonight I saw a familiar face celebrating in former MT rival Popeye Jones. Jones was one of the Murray State greats from the late 80's - early 90's. He is a assistant coach with the Denver Nuggets now. Back in the day he was a beast for the Racers and he and MT great Warren Kidd had some major battles. Both would go on and play in the NBA.

Not sure if it is true but I always heard that Popeye, a Tennessee native, wanted to come to MT. At the time, Bruce Stewart had just had the twin tanks in Kerry Hammonds and Bam Bam Rainey. Supposedly Bruce wanted to go leaner while Popeye was a heavyweight.

I sure rooted hard against him while he was a Racer, but I also have great respect for him. Seemed like a class act who has made a good career for himself. Congrats to Popeye.

I don't watch much NBA basketball, especially during the regular season. But I have peeked at the playoffs mainly because I enjoy seeing Jokic play. As they won the title tonight I saw a familiar face celebrating in former MT rival Popeye Jones. Jones was one of the Murray State greats from the late 80's - early 90's. He is a assistant coach with the Denver Nuggets now. Back in the day he was a beast for the Racers and he and MT great Warren Kidd had some major battles. Both would go on and play in the NBA.

Not sure if it is true but I always heard that Popeye, a Tennessee native, wanted to come to MT. At the time, Bruce Stewart had just had the twin tanks in Kerry Hammonds and Bam Bam Rainey. Supposedly Bruce wanted to go leaner while Popeye was a heavyweight.

I sure rooted hard against him while he was a Racer, but I also have great respect for him. Seemed like a class act who has made a good career for himself. Congrats to Popeye.
Great great player was Popeye. Nice insight, didn't know Popeye had been interested in being a Raider. Bruce had an excellent eye for talent. That's one that got away though.
On a side note, Bruce & Bob Huggins were great friends. Bruce at MT, Bob at Akron. They had some tremendous battles. Bob went on to tremendous fame at Cincinnati & then West Virginia. Same could have happened for Bruce. He made a mistake here & it cost him a career. Then tragically his life was cut short. Nonetheless he had some great players & great teams. Will never forget him taking unknown small school Middle Tennessee into West Virginia & controlling the game the whole way. Or blowing Dick Vitales mind by beating Michigan in a Memphis tourney. Then taking the Tigers to the wire next game. Also can't forget Bruce & MT beating Florida State in the NCAA's!

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Popeye was one of the best players that the OVC ever produced. Was a really large kid when he got to Murray but slimmed down over his career and became unstoppable . Understand that he played shortstop on his HS team at over 300lbs. Just an incredible athlete. His son Seth Jones, was drafted and played for the Pred’s for a few years.

Popeye was huge when he got to Murray State. Even as huge as he was, he moved with grace and had the softest hands around the basket I had seen to that point. He slimmed down in two years to become a two time All-OVC player and the best pro basketball player the OVC had. A few were more talented, but didn't last as long as Popeye. I really didn't know that Stewart had a chance to recruit him. We were pretty dominant during that period already, but Popeye would have put us on the map. We beat the Russian National Team, FSU in the NCAA's, but Popeye would have sent us over the top.

We had loaded teams like the teams that Kermit had that were 10 deep. A lot of my best memories were with his basketball teams.

Stewart was a great coach with a huge amount of ambition he was brought up in a conversation I was having just a week or two ago. He would have thrived in the current situation of the ncaa.
Can't remember all the specifics, but I think what cost
Stewart was a great coach with a huge amount of ambition he was brought up in a conversation I was having just a week or two ago. He would have thrived in the current situation of the ncaa.
Times have changed so much from Bruce's era. The shoe issue (if I remember correctly) was what cost Bruce. Would it even be considered an issue other than a slap on the wrist today?

Popeye was huge when he got to Murray State. Even as huge as he was, he moved with grace and had the softest hands around the basket I had seen to that point. He slimmed down in two years to become a two time All-OVC player and the best pro basketball player the OVC had. A few were more talented, but didn't last as long as Popeye. I really didn't know that Stewart had a chance to recruit him. We were pretty dominant during that period already, but Popeye would have put us on the map. We beat the Russian National Team, FSU in the NCAA's, but Popeye would have sent us over the top.

We had loaded teams like the teams that Kermit had that were 10 deep. A lot of my best memories were with his basketball teams.
The best pro NBA player from the OVC is Ja Morant. He is already a two time all pro. I personally do not like him but I can’t deny his greatness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT