ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING Underdog Dynasty: In-State Talent Important

Good article.

It looks like we've pretty much cleaned up in state with players that could play at our level. Tennessee's been weird - while there's good talent at the top, there's not much of that middle tier that we usually recruit from.

I feel like our only miss this year instate was Darvin who's going to Western KY.

With Grammar taking his talents to FCS school, I'd hope we take a look at JaVaughn Craig out of Chattanooga.

Interesting nugget about JaVaughn Craig. He started out his high school time at Chattanooga School for the Arts and Sciences. He transferred to McCallie because CSAS doesnt have a football team. WHat is the significance of this you ask... The assistant basketball coach at CSAS is Coach Bibee's son-in-law

Reactions: C-Bow
I wonder how much of this is a forced adjustment? With Ga Southern and a somewhat improving Ga State just to name a couple, how much does increased competition in the state of Ga force MT to recruit harder closer to home?

With MT's long history of successfully recruiting GA, increased competition in GA is bound to mean a few less quality recruits available. For the record, I'm not suggesting MT has given up on GA. Even signing just 2 or 3 less from your primary recruiting grounds is bound to have some sort of effect on your recruiting efforts.

I'm glad MT is recruiting TN harder. I think the writer of that article touched upon some accurate points. It is clear that Middle Tennessee has and continues to grow rapidly in population. Look no further than the immediate district/region surrounding MT. It seems to me that this Murfreesboro area has developed into one of the hotbeds of recruiting in the last few years. Rutherford Co High Schools seem to compete for the state championship just about every year. Most of these schools seem incredibly competitive and successful.

I really think it has more to do with in state tallent improving. I don't think the ga schools have beat us out on many recruits.

I don't think we've changed any focus on our recruiting efforts.

All things, being equal, it's usually easier to land the instate kid. The problem with Tennessee is that we don't have the depth of players that Georgia or Florida has. It's getting better, but still thin. Especially with those CUSA level recruits.

I really can't think of too many kids from Tennessee in the last few years that when to G5 schools that we really missed on. WKU takes a couple, and Marshall can raid East Tennessee, and USM can usually pluck a couple out of West Tennessee, but by and large we do pretty well instate.

What we need to do is stop losing kids to WKU, and we need to start beating the lower tier P5 schools that come into the state and take away talent - Marshall, Wake Forest, Purdue, etc.

Admittedly, it's more of a curiosity to me. While I've been pretty impressed over the years with MT's level of success in recruiting GA, I'm glad to hear MT is having some decent success here in TN. With the growing population and incredible talent in the area, I'd like to see MT get as many as possible from in-state.

A few thoughts that brought up the question:

I thought I heard one of the criticisms of Richt at UGA was that folks down there thought he could have done better in recruiting his talent rich backyard. I don't even know if it was in fact a valid criticism.

The same blog in the original post in this thread had an article on Ga Southern landing lots of high quality recruits. I do not know geographical breakdown though.

It seemed Ga State finally won a few games this past season.

In addition to the traditional programs that would recruit GA, it seems like a geographic fit for some of the other new regional programs i.e. Appy State, Charlotte, and the aforementioned Ga State and Ga Southern.

My thinking that created such questions is say for discussion sake MT is "in on" 15 recruits in Ga which MT would land say 10. How much would most of us hear about it if now MT was in on 15 recruits but now landed say 8 out of Ga? In a class of 20 signees, 10 vs 8 signees out of GA may not jump out at you, but it could conceivably reflect a difference that a Ga Southern et al lands 1 or 2 of those 10 or so high quality recruits that MT typically would sign. I imagine that would impact recruiting if you're a coach working on the details in the trenches day after day and year after year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT