ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL New NIT Qualifiers

Another attack at mid-majors. NIT feels they'll have more viewers with more P5 teams, even if they're not as good as available G5 schools. Probably a reaction to Fox Sports proposed post season tournament.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Well there were no P5s in the NIT finals last season. can't have that anymore.
That's exactly what it is. Not to mention FAU and SDSU in the NCAAs.

I've said before I worry it will go P2 but the more I see Yormark handle things, I think it'll be P3 and basketball is what will keep the B12 at the table. I still think it is going to wind up a G5 split off and this just adds fuel to that fire down the road.

Well, to be fair the NIT Final ratings were down big with UNT and UAB in the finals. NIT title game is usually around 800K to 1M viewers, but this past year...? Only 370K. Ouch. It was also moved to ESPN2 so that had some effect but still it was a huge drop.

Well, to be fair the NIT Final ratings were down big with UNT and UAB in the finals. NIT title game is usually around 800K to 1M viewers, but this past year...? Only 370K. Ouch. It was also moved to ESPN2 so that had some effect but still it was a huge drop.
Valid point. All this is hard. I'm of the mindset we are all Div I. I enjoy watching a UNT/UAB game as much as a Kansas/Houston game. In football and basketball. I enjoyed the Montanta/Idaho game a few weeks ago.

But I'm in the minority. So many have the idea that if it isn't big name, it isn't worth watching. A lot of that is sadly due to media over the years pushing that narrative.

And schools like us are paying the price.

To summarize:
  • No auto-bid for reg season conference champions who lose tourney
  • Minimum of two bids for the P6 conferences (ACC, Big East, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC)
  • Those 12 P6 teams will host first round games (unless there’s conflicts)
  • Rest of teams are at-large bids

This sucks for mid-majors who were at least generally excited to be in the NIT; whereas, the P6 teams could not care less about the NIT. I know this is for TV viewership $$, but mid-majors typically had much better crowds and energy for these games.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Hilarious. They are not even trying to hide their bias at this point. “First dibs will go to power conferences, and they get to do all the hosting also. Then we will consider others….”

I wish we could tell them to take their tournament and shove it. Don’t even want to be a part of it if that’s how it’s gonna be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT