ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant Pool Discussion

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
I don’t have any names I really want but I think it’s going to be very important to bring in winners. I don’t care if they are d2 or FCS. One of the big things that concerns me is Mason hasn’t been on a winning staff in over a decade.

Winning is hard. It’s part mindset, work ethic, intelligence, recruiting, and many external factors that are hard to quantify. I would love to see some winning assistant coaches brought in to get this thing going.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
I don’t have any names I really want but I think it’s going to be very important to bring in winners. I don’t care if they are d2 or FCS. One of the big things that concerns me is Mason hasn’t been on a winning staff in over a decade.

Winning is hard. It’s part mindset, work ethic, intelligence, recruiting, and many external factors that are hard to quantify. I would love to see some winning assistant coaches brought in to get this thing going.
I’ll throw out a name. Kade Bell from Western Carolina would be my call for an offensive coordinator. They lead the FCS in total yards, fourth in yards per play, and eighth in TDs scored. He is young and recruits the area.

What would be your preference in bringing on a coordinator? Do you want an OC/DC from an FCS program vs a lesser position from a P5? Seems to be pros and cons to either option.

Last edited:
I’ll throw out a name. Kade Bell from Western Carolina would be my call for an offensive coordinator. They lead the FCS in total yards, fourth in yards per play, and eighth in TDs scored. He is young and recruits the area.

I’m sold. Let’s bring him in.

Reactions: ewglenn and Hop45
I’m sold. Let’s bring him in.
Won a D2 natty at Valdosta St.

Did this in five games at Tusculum:

“Bell helped lead Tusculum to the 2021 South Atlantic Conference Spring Football Championship as his offense averaged 533.4 yards and scored 37.6 points per game in a 4-1 seasonal record. The Pioneers averaged nearly 400 passing yards per game to lead the SAC, scoring 15 touchdowns through the air in 2021. In addition, the unit added 139.2 yards per game on the ground and 12 additional scores.”

Won a D2 natty at Valdosta St.

Did this in five games at Tusculum:

“Bell helped lead Tusculum to the 2021 South Atlantic Conference Spring Football Championship as his offense averaged 533.4 yards and scored 37.6 points per game in a 4-1 seasonal record. The Pioneers averaged nearly 400 passing yards per game to lead the SAC, scoring 15 touchdowns through the air in 2021. In addition, the unit added 139.2 yards per game on the ground and 12 additional scores.”
Is it Kade calling plays or his daddy Kerwin, the offensive guru? Playing them this past season, I tend to think it's Kerwin.

Is it Kade calling plays or his daddy Kerwin, the offensive guru? Playing them this past season, I tend to think it's Kerwin.
It’s Kade, he had some time away from his dad at Tusculum and had the same success there as Valdosta St and WCU. I’m sure Kerwin helps guide him but it’s Kade’s show to run.

Reactions: mtfblue
Is it crazy to think we could pay Craddock enough to lure him back home from Troy? I don't know how seriously he was considered for the HC job, but that would be awesome to get the best of both worlds with Mason's experience and defense acumen to pair with the former player and hot young OC. Y'all tell me if I'm out of my mind...

Unless Mason has certain guys in mind, I expect him to keep several coaches. Mitch Stewart and Shafer, perhaps.

Is it crazy to think we could pay Craddock enough to lure him back home from Troy? I don't know how seriously he was considered for the HC job, but that would be awesome to get the best of both worlds with Mason's experience and defense acumen to pair with the former player and hot young OC. Y'all tell me if I'm out of my mind...
Possibility he may be free, but who knows. Supposedly Sumrall is on Duke's list. So if Sumrall gets it, Craddock could go with him, be offered Troy, or be set loose. Just don't know yet.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
You won't see Stewart either. You may see some position guys but I think he has people in mind and he wants a new OC and DC. Some of the ops people could be retained. I think he has a S&C guy in mind.
He's mentioned S&C, nutrition, & recovery multiple times. I know this is a focus for the new SAPC so excited to see how all that gets incorporated.

You think it would work with what Shafer does and what Mason wants on defense?

I think they could work together but Shafer is not on good terms with the AD staff so that kind of ends that discussion before it even begins

You won’t see Shafer.
Season 5 Owntv GIF by Queen Sugar

Just hope he doesn't bring in his OC from his last Vanderbilt squad in 2020. Todd Fitch is currently an analyst only at Ohio St. Probably would love to be a coordinator again. Wouldn't be surprised he's already called Derek

Mason is a defensive coach, then no way he keeps Shafer.

I would prefer more of a cleaning house, because I think the culture of mediocrity has to change. Sounds crazy, but a strength and conditioning coach can have a big impact. That person is with these guys a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT