ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL tv revenue taking a hit apparently...

...ODU's estimate indicates that C-USA's yearly TV revenue would be about $6 million – a sharp drop from the $14 million in contracts the league signed with Fox Sports and the CBS Sports Network in 2011.

ODU athletic director Wood Selig called the decline "a huge hit," adding, "we've got to work to get the value of Conference USA back up."

ODU's athletic budget, which was finalized at last week's Board of Visitors meeting, included a decline of $1.4 million in revenue over 2015-2016 and a projected deficit of $1.6 million. In response to a Freedom of Information Act request from The Virginian-Pilot, Selig indicated ODU has budgeted for a $600,000 to $700,000 reduction in TV revenues. "That was our best estimate," based on conversations with league officials, he said.....

Cord cutters....the market is shrinking and getting much more individualized. This TV money is not coming back.

Very happy with my seats, but got an email recently that there are some open air boxes available. Was surprised that that was the case.

Apparently they have had a couple available the last couple years. I have a buddy who was looking into it and almost pulled the trigger on one. I was going to give up my blue chair backs and buy tickets through him to use the box. Decided against getting the box. I'm happy with my current seats as well.

Technology in form of greater bandwidth and mobile data are further diversifying, or Balkanizing, American society. It seems the millennials with the digital age are, generally speaking, in their own world. There seems to be enough tradition in the P5 to still command the big bucks for college football games, G5, not so much. There is some interest for C-USA at least. Hopefully, the digital package will be updated and more cohesive for the conference with the new TV contracts.

With ESPN getting hit hard by cord cutting, it seems the new low contracts for C-USA has garnered some interest from ESPN anyways.

I have to say, I would likely be a cord cutter if I knew I could have reasonably widespread access online to college sports. Presently, wide access to the major sports networks are most easily accessed through traditional tv methods i.e. cable etc. Although I must confess, I have cut back from Directv to regular cable. Cable costs are down to where it's not even close compared to Directv any longer, and any holes in college sports coverage in cable can be filled in online.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT