FOOTBALL TV and times announced for three more games

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
goblueraiders.com:

C-USA TO BROADCAST THREE MT GAMES

...The Blue Raiders will appear on the American Sports Network at home against Louisiana Tech on Sept. 24 and again at Marshall on Nov. 12. Both games will kick-off at 6 PM CT. Middle Tennessee will also appear on beIN at home against FAU for Senior Day on Nov. 26. The Blue Raiders and Owls will kick-off at 4:30 PM CT....

Q&A with the commish on a marshall area sports radio station starting about the 10:45 mark...

this excerpt from this article describes the early portion of the interview:

...Conference USA Commissioner Judy MacLeod yesterday appeared on West Virginia-based WRVC-FM's "First Sentry Banks Sportsline" to discuss the conference's new TV deal. MacLeod said, "Getting back with ESPN is big. ... Then the new partner with beIN Sports is intriguing as this is their first college partner. I think that we can get some good exposure there as well, so we are pleased overall." Show co-host Woody Woodrum said, "The bottom line on this package is probably the hardest part for many schools to accept because .... it looks like about $900,000 less per school." MacLeod, "You’re trying to get me fired up right off the bat, aren’t you?" Woodrum, "The bottom line is the bottom line, and it has been hard enough for schools like Marshall to make the bottom line as it was. Now they’ve got to find a million more somewhere to make this up." MacLeod said, "It’s been a frustrating couple of days. ... Everything you read out there is not exactly true. Did the money go down? There’s no question. Are we frustrated? There’s no question. That’s why we signed two-year deals, so we could get back out into the market and hopefully things improve and do some other work. ... We’ve hired a chief revenue officer to sell sponsorships. Our conference has never had that." .....

Last edited:
She sounded like she has no idea about what she's doing at all. No sales ability whatsoever. If that's who led the sales job to the networks, no wonder we got hosed.

She sounded like she has no idea about what she's doing at all. No sales ability whatsoever. If that's who led the sales job to the networks, no wonder we got hosed.

In another thread on this topic, I was suggesting some similar sentiments. She sounded overwhelmed. Not handling the pressure too well, to put it nicely. Hearing that disturbing interview, it does bring up the matter if her negotiation and leadership abilities were up to the already difficult job. About one of the only bright sides is the 2 year deals. That short period allows for C-USA a relative brief amount of time to get it's act together to try to then renegotiate much improved contracts.

Nothings going to be better in 2 years. If anything, it's gonna be worse. TV viewership is going to continue to get smaller, not bigger.

Honestly, it's probably best if balances are budgeted without TV contract money in mind. Sports that are unable to generate their own revenue should take the hits first IMO. It's high time we get rid of this mandated title 9 horse $hit that forces universities to sponsor sports that they can't pay for. If they're going to mandate that so many women's sports exist, then maybe they can mandate some money to support them as well. Big fat thanks to all the government loving bureaucratic horse$hit lovers out there (AKA Democrats).

Can't blame C-USA for trying to do deals with paying networks. It would be nice if this channel was a little more readily accessible. On Comcast, I think it is on the top premium package or the extra fees for the sports package. It would be nice if Comcast opened that channel up to a few more eyeballs.

FWIW, it seems men's and women's soccer will fit in well on that network.

Nothings going to be better in 2 years. If anything, it's gonna be worse. TV viewership is going to continue to get smaller, not bigger.

Honestly, it's probably best if balances are budgeted without TV contract money in mind. Sports that are unable to generate their own revenue should take the hits first IMO. It's high time we get rid of this mandated title 9 horse $hit that forces universities to sponsor sports that they can't pay for. If they're going to mandate that so many women's sports exist, then maybe they can mandate some money to support them as well. Big fat thanks to all the government loving bureaucratic horse$hit lovers out there (AKA Democrats).

I understand the frustration. To be fair to institutions such as ours in C-USA, athletics are supplemented by dollars from outside the athletic dept. I think the reason more people (me at least) don't complain much about it is because of the federal govt forced funding, Title IX, of women's sports. If it were just the major sports, programs might have a decent shot of at least breaking even. Throw in Title IX, and programs outside the top of the elite have to receive funds from the larger university.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT