ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL TSU will travel better than Vandy

21 years since the last meeting. I still have my blue coin medallion from the time the gates opened.

Reactions: Hop45
Last year, they were comparable to us against Vanderbilt. A little better defensively, losing 35-17 to the commodores. (We lost 47-24)

Definitely a game where they can get city bragging rights.

I much rather we never play them in anything. Better not lose. Lose and coaches should be canned before they can run off the field, and player scholarships should be in severe jeopardy.

I much rather we never play them in anything. Better not lose. Lose and coaches should be canned before they can run off the field, and player scholarships should be in severe jeopardy.
Tell us how you really feel, Space. LMAO!
Just for giggles, I researched total NFL draft picks all-time by School

MTSU Since 1957 - Jerry DeLuca (25)
TSU Since 1952 - Hal Turner (125)

They were some ballers in the old SWAC.

Do you really think Stock would be fired if he lost that game? No way.

After Vandy, Syracuse and Minnesota, he still has to take the team to Bowling Green, KY and Boca Raton, FL this year. Not to worry, a 7-5 regular season record and a bowl trip will get him another rollover.

From what I know it's not so much the regular season but our embarrassing bowl appearances. He has two years to win a bowl game. The money will be there if he doesnt.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
This is a good game to book. We'll have Duke and TSU coming that year along with Marshall. Pretty good home slate. TSU will bring people. Not worried about losing.

Reactions: MTTim
"Travel better than Vandy": Not so sure my friend.

Yes, the HBCU had huge followings when we had the series at VU and it was still a factor when we opened the renovated Floyd but IMHO their support has diminished considerably. Just like G5 schools have a hard time gaining support many who at one time would have followed a HBCU athletic program are now following all things "big-time". Old-time loyal fans are dying out or becoming unable to attend games. Our home BkB games against TSU are not well attended by TSU fans when compared to a few years back (when the doors were opened at halftime and TSU students flooded in The Murph), attendance is down at the HBCU "Classics", the basketball arena is devoid of fans when we play them in Nahsville (even Belmont can't draw a decent crowd), and the hope that playing at Nissan would increase support for TSU FB has gone by the wayside.

TSU may bring more fans to The Boro than VU but it will not be enough to guarantee a close to sell-out as the last game was. Just MHO.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
"Travel better than Vandy": Not so sure my friend.

Yes, the HBCU had huge followings when we had the series at VU and it was still a factor when we opened the renovated Floyd but IMHO their support has diminished considerably. Just like G5 schools have a hard time gaining support many who at one time would have followed a HBCU athletic program are now following all things "big-time". Old-time loyal fans are dying out or becoming unable to attend games. Our home BkB games against TSU are not well attended by TSU fans when compared to a few years back (when the doors were opened at halftime and TSU students flooded in The Murph), attendance is down at the HBCU "Classics", the basketball arena is devoid of fans when we play them in Nahsville (even Belmont can't draw a decent crowd), and the hope that playing at Nissan would increase support for TSU FB has gone by the wayside.

TSU may bring more fans to The Boro than VU but it will not be enough to guarantee a close to sell-out as the last game was. Just MHO.

I tend to agree with your take. Was trying to remember when the last game was played in Floyd as the season opener what the ticket prices were. Wasn't MT selling season ticket packages up to the last minute on that game? Seems like I remember grumbling on some of their fans' part that they had to buy a season ticket package to ensure they had a ticket for that game. Maybe someone can shoot down that impression or confirm it. IIRC, that was the season we had to qualify our attendance to make the move to 1A. I seem to remember our season ticket sales exceeded 16K that one year.

Pricing will be interesting for that game. Not sure our administration knows how to price things to maximize attendance and revenue.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
also, noticed the tsu athletic site release has a comment from the tsu AD that was not included in either the MT athletic site article or the article by Mike Organ of the Tennessean:

"Hopefully we can continue to play Middle Tennessee again in the coming years,” Phillips commented. “We are discussing the possibility of bringing the game to Nissan Stadium in the near future."

also, noticed the tsu athletic site release has a comment from the tsu AD that was not included in either the MT athletic site article or the article by Mike Organ of the Tennessean:

"Hopefully we can continue to play Middle Tennessee again in the coming years,” Phillips commented. “We are discussing the possibility of bringing the game to Nissan Stadium in the near future."
Oh, HELL NO. It's Floyd Stadium or not at all. An FBS team needs never to go to an FCS school or play one on a neutral field.

If they will pay us at least $500K to play at Nissan, I wouldn't be against it. We need every penny we can...be interesting to see if we could get any fans to make the drive?

we'll let memphis go first...they can have first crack at playing the tsu tigers at fcs tsu's home field.
Memphis is already on record pace this month for season ticket sales. They don't need the money. Football revenue exceeded Basketball revenue last year for the first time since the 1960's.

TSU sucks. If we don't turn the ball over 4 times like we did at Vandy last year, we'll beat em by 3 TD's at least. Won't be close. Besides that, it's 3 years away. They could have a whole new staff by then. So could we. Besides, any team that lets Tennessee Tech beat them 44-16 last year isn't a threat. If we're worried about them, it's time to shut the program down.

TSU sucks. If we don't turn the ball over 4 times like we did at Vandy last year, we'll beat em by 3 TD's at least. Won't be close. Besides that, it's 3 years away. They could have a whole new staff by then. So could we. Besides, any team that lets Tennessee Tech beat them 44-16 last year isn't a threat. If we're worried about them, it's time to shut the program down.

I encourage you to hop in your DeLorean and revist the SEMO game.

If they will pay us at least $500K to play at Nissan, I wouldn't be against it. We need every penny we can...be interesting to see if we could get any fans to make the drive?
If our fans won't drive 25 miles to attend a game let's just shut it down. I know the folks in Rutherford county are lazy as he'll but that would be a dagger to the program.

I encourage you to hop in your DeLorean and revist the SEMO game.

With this team and the talent we get in here now, I'm not worried. Andy Mac was lost without Fedora. We are much different than any team Andy Mac fielded. TSU couldn't handle a crappy TTU team. How would they handle us? Not worried. Let's move on.

With this team and the talent we get in here now, I'm not worried. Andy Mac was lost without Fedora. We are much different than any team Andy Mac fielded. TSU couldn't handle a crappy TTU team. How would they handle us? Not worried. Let's move on.
I agree. TSU is a cupcake game. We should destroy them. No need to think otherwise.

Memphis is already on record pace this month for season ticket sales. They don't need the money. Football revenue exceeded Basketball revenue last year for the first time since the 1960's.
FR. Memphis has done a tremendous job of getting the fan base engaged. Winning is paramont. You and I know if Memphis has a down year or two then there will be 15k in the stands. They are fickle like all fanbases.

FR. Memphis has done a tremendous job of getting the fan base engaged. Winning is paramont. You and I know if Memphis has a down year or two then there will be 15k in the stands. They are fickle like all fanbases.
I will say this. I worked every week in Memphis for 3.5 years until last fall. The city of Memphis is behind that athletic department MUCH more than Murfreesboro is with ours. I realize the difference in sizes of the two cities, but you can just tell that the support there is much more intense.

I will say this. I worked every week in Memphis for 3.5 years until last fall. The city of Memphis is behind that athletic department MUCH more than Murfreesboro is with ours. I realize the difference in sizes of the two cities, but you can just tell that the support there is much more intense.

They don't have the Titans.
They don't have an SEC team in there Metro.
They aren't an easy drive to UT
They have a bigger city all to themselves.

While it is a little too early to what that game might look like at that time, there are some factors that get my attention.

2019 season. Won't that be MT's first season post Brent at QB? MT will have to be breaking in a young QB early that season when potentially playing a local fcs team that will be hungry with nothing to lose.

Plus if things don't go so well the next couple of years, might it be possible coach stock would retire when Brent's playing days are done. Just saying, timing could be bad. Then again, MT could be on a roll at that time. Whatever the case, the coach and team have to win that game convincingly. It should attract a decent crowd for a home cupcake, but the Blue Raiders better win. No excuses.

They don't have the Titans.
They don't have an SEC team in there Metro.
They aren't an easy drive to UT
They have a bigger city all to themselves.
Memphis still has a very large chunk of their Ambassador Level Athletic Donor base (>$250K) that contributes generously for basketball but still spends their Fall Saturdays in SEC Stadium boxes. The recent surge in Tiger Football is really incremental revenue.

Oh, HELL NO. It's Floyd Stadium or not at all. An FBS team needs never to go to an FCS school or play one on a neutral field.

I completely agree. But Mike Organ in his Blue Raider Notebook:
http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/col...-mtsu-tsu-hope-play-nissan-stadium/424940001/
MTSU, TSU hope to play at Nissan Stadium

...Speaking of local teams playing each other, the MTSU and TSU football teams announced earlier this week they will renew their series by opening the 2019 season against each other.

That game will be played in Murfreesboro.

After that, there's a good chance the two teams will play at Nissan Stadium.

"Hopefully we can continue to play Middle Tennessee in the coming years,” said TSU athletics director Teresa Phillips. “We are discussing the possibility of bringing the game to Nissan Stadium."

It won't be the first time the series has been played at a neutral site. MTSU and TSU played at Vanderbilt Stadium from 1973-1978 and then again from 1986-1993.....

They should pay us to play in Nissan or give us a sweet deal where they play us at home for free. If we are even entertaining playing a 1-aa on a neutral field, we should pay out nothing for our home game and actually get money for the game at Nissan. Oh, and we get half the ticket fees at the gate too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT