ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Time to put this staff out to pasture

These are 18-22 year old young men. How many of you were mature and reserved during adversity then? Give me a break.

Y'all want to piss in the wind and not have it spray back on you. Personally, I would love to watch some out of shape 40 year old dudes get rocked by Alex Dale or Brady. That would be awesome.

Fans are not the enemy and neither are the players but when a player sees a lot of negativity and they care about their team and are true blue like Alex, I'm not gonna criticize his responses. He cares. They don't like losing either and I guarantee you that they are more pissed about it more than we are.

I started training with a former MT player about 5.5 weeks ago and trust me, you get a whole new perspective when you are doing interval training and cross fit with a guy who does this in his sleep. The intensity and training that he did at MT is what he's teaching me and it ain't for sissies. My point is that while I want us to win, CFB ain't easy at all. To back up Alex's point, go out and try it and then tell me about stopping a RB when you've been going all out for the last 3.5 hours. It's different then. Hell, after 3 minutes for intense movement, I'm fried.

Reactions: MTBig Blue
Is this degrading to "who's is bigger"? Losing a bit of credibility there hoss. But it is a shame that twitter becomes a war zone. Hard to tell who the troll is.

In the spirit of Dan Patrick I am 6'2 225. *ding
I’m 5’8” 178. And I ride a cruiser bike.

I did my share of gassers and windsprints in HS and college. And I hated practice. No thanks.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Yeah, like Nashville sports gives a crap about us. Awesome headline "Pajama wearing keyboard warrior talks smack to an actual football player and the football player responds with an invite to take off the onesie, put on some pads and back it up." Yeah, that's ground breaking stuff right there.

In the spirit of Dan Patrick I am 6'2 225. *ding

I've seen a few 6'2 225 dudes get their a$$es handed to them by 5'8 dudes who were 170lbs or less. My pops was 5'6 and he took out a 6'5 270lb dude. The bigger they are the quicker they hit the floor. I don't know if I'd run up on a dude with 2% body fat and benches a 10-15 rep set of what you weigh. That's just me though.

We need Wiley to get the invitation, that would be epic.

I'd love to go out there and coach.

Problem is, the OL is the problem, and at this point we have such a talent deficiency that the coaching does little to no good.

The problems that we have cannot be fixed in a few days of practice. It's going to take years of better OL recruiting.

Problem is, the OL is the problem, and at this point we have such a talent deficiency that the coaching does little to no good.

The problems that we have cannot be fixed in a few days of practice. It's going to take years of better OL recruiting.
Wiley gets it.

Reactions: Predarat
If I was Stock I would call Alex in to my office and tell him to chill out on twitter. I get his passion and I definitely appreciate it. Unfortunately part of this job as a player or coach is to learn how to ignore the noise. Do your job and don't worry about what people are saying on twitter.

One big problem is the MTSU athletic supporter social media presence is so piss poor I bet some NAIA schools have a bigger support group. They do not need to be going after the few fans MTSU has left on Social Media even if the small contingent is a bit hostile at this time. From what I see nobody has posted anything too awful, mostly just expressing some frustration. And its absolutely nothing compared to what many schools of our size face.

Sports Radio sure enjoyed the slappy banter in the mid 2000s in regards to Andy. I remember Fes taking this with radio hosts up until Andy was let go. just saying.

Sports Radio sure enjoyed the slappy banter in the mid 2000s in regards to Andy. I remember Fes taking this with radio hosts up until Andy was let go. just saying.
Fes was boss, I'm not sure if he even cares enough anymore for an encore, but it would be pretty damn cool.

One big problem is the MTSU athletic supporter social media presence is so piss poor I bet some NAIA schools have a bigger support group. They do not need to be going after the few fans MTSU has left on Social Media even if the small contingent is a bit hostile at this time. From what I see nobody has posted anything too awful, mostly just expressing some frustration. And its absolutely nothing compared to what many schools of our size face.

You are correct.

The good thing is our AD has spoken up to address the concerns of the few remaining fans, shows great leadership during this time, and has voiced support for his coaching staff.....end sarcasm.

You are correct.

The good thing is our AD has spoken up to address the concerns of the few remaining fans, shows great leadership during this time, and has voiced support for his coaching staff.....end sarcasm.

C0fb4yOWIAIwWk-

And with the hard hitting journalism going on at the DNJ, I see an article about Vandy, UT and our bowl chances, we have all our concerns addressed. **

Seriously, how can a newspaper be that out of touch with ANY fanbases, let alone these 3? Two fanbases want their coach fired and the other is 0-4 in conference and gives up 50 a game in the losing streak. BOWL GAME? That’s the story line you come up with right now?

The bunch next door at BRZ is already making excuses for the season if the team finishes 6-6 or 7-5 and backs into a bowl game. Chalking it up to Brent and Richie’s injuries. SMH.

The bunch next door at BRZ is already making excuses for the season if the team finishes 6-6 or 7-5 and backs into a bowl game. Chalking it up to Brent and Richie’s injuries. SMH.

Injuries happen. Cost a game or two, sure. But not to the level of issues we have. Not in a 12 year old "system". We should be plug and play by now or at least have a plan B if the main parts of your offensive scheme go down. We had none.

Not having a recruiting next man up system or a plan b is not due to injuries. It is due to poor coaching.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm sorry but some folks over there just make me so frustrated. In the post-game after Marshall I said "Fire Rick Stockstill" and someone replied, "If you think this game is on Stockstill, your high off your ass."

Can't help but just SMH at that. I tried to push back but got called "out of control" for calling that response a Stockstill apologist. This program is so frustrating.

It's even worse think that we all want the best for this program, but it can be hard to believe that, when calling out the single reason (Stockstill) for the current state of our program - a comment which got me just about crucified over there - will get you in deep doo-doo... :(

Last edited:
I'm sorry but some folks over there just make me so frustrated. In the post-game after Marshall I said "Fire Rick Stockstill" and someone replied, "If you think this game is on Stockstill, your high off your ass."

Can't help but just SMH at that. I tried to push back but got called "out of control" for calling that response a Stockstill apologist. This program is so frustrating.

It's even worse think that we all want the best for this program, but it can be hard to believe that, when calling out the single reason (Stockstill) for the current state of our program - a comment which got me just about crucified over there - will get you in deep doo-doo... :(
Some folks can’t handle the truth.

Reactions: SpaceRaider

That same group was all up McCollum's @$$ too before he was fired. They blindly follow whoever is in charge (currently Massaro & Stockstill) because they think they are friends with them. We could be winless and they'd still be defending the program and AD.

I generally agree. Recruiting is absolutely critical. Just for argument's sake, there are lots of examples and history of new coaches coming in and taking over a team that had terrible records the year or two before. With the new coaches bringing new Xs and Os along with a new energy, approach, and attitude, the same players perform much better and improve their record. This seems to happen more often than one might expect. Of course, that new coach has little time to bring in new players. The main point is Xs and Os, leadership, and overall attitude are still an important part of the equation.

On the frustrations of being a MT fan:

It seems to take more than a moderate amount of time before the fanbase starts to call for a new coach at MT. Quite a few still don't seem to see a pretty big problem ongoing.

Say what you want about UT, but the fanbase in general don't play around with losing and waiting. A .500 type season and the fans are pretty rabid in calling for a new coach even though they've had a couple of good seasons in the last few years. Totally different expectations there.

Different expectations, yes. But they’ve tasted championships. They know what they bring to a program and that is now what they expect. The fans have set a high bar there.

We have no idea what that tastes like and that is part of the problem. After this amount of time we should know. And the fact we don’t shows to me change is needed. Because the bar was set so low by our administration, too many fans have accepted that bar as well. Not enough fans have set a level of expectations themselves.

I won’t accept it and expect more.

Different expectations, yes. But they’ve tasted championships. They know what they bring to a program and that is now what they expect. The fans have set a high bar there.

We have no idea what that tastes like and that is part of the problem. After this amount of time we should know. And the fact we don’t shows to me change is needed. Because the bar was set so low by our administration, too many fans have accepted that bar as well. Not enough fans have set a level of expectations themselves.

I won’t accept it and expect more.

I agree we need change...and I want more, always have. I don't believe that fans have accepted a low bar. I have seen fans defend CRS, the person; heck, I have done it because of personal attacks by fellow posters. I personally give less to the department because I felt the squeezing of the same folks was silly. But I am not prepared to quit following the team and not showing up on 5-6 Saturdays in the fall each year. I want to win, but I also love my school and the day is still an event. I guess is we were to have multiple losing seasons I might lose interest, but that isn't the case just yet.

With the existing contract there isn't a lot we can do; unless, you and others are willing to fund raise to buy it out. I think it would be more interesting to do something positive about the situation versus the constant negativity (Not point "you" out, just making a general statement)

I was told over and over that the problem with football attendance was Boots Donnelly. If we just fire Boots then attendance will increase. Well, darn it, when are we gonna fire Boots??? And we need to fire Kermit too so men's basketball may one day make the NCAA tourney...

Last edited:
I agree we need change...and I want more, always have. I don't believe that fans have accepted a low bar. I have seen fans defend CRS, the person; heck, I have done it because of personal attacks by fellow posters. I personally give less to the department because I felt the squeezing of the same folks was silly. But I am not prepared to quit following the team and not showing up on 5-6 Saturdays in the fall each year. I want to win, but I also love my school and the day is still an event. I guess is we were to have multiple losing seasons I might lose interest, but that isn't the case just yet.

With the existing contract there isn't a lot we can do; unless, you and others are willing to fund raise to buy it out. I think it would be more interesting to do something positive about the situation versus the constant negativity (Not point "you" out, just making a general statement)

I totally agree. Don’t feel you are singling me out at all. I wish I was a major donor. I’ll still be at games. I stayed till the bell Friday and I’ll see them in Charlotte or Huntington next year. I wish I could do more. If I lived closer I’d have season tickets. Thing is, no one in the department is going to listen to little ole me even if I did have a golden solution.

I was told over and over that the problem with football attendance was Boots Donnelly. If we just fire Boots then attendance will increase. Well, darn it, when are we gonna fire Boots??? And we need to fire Kermit too so men's basketball may one day make the NCAA tourney...

I can’t speak to Boots as his last years as coach were my first at MT.

The argument for removing KD was that no coach should be given a decade without a Division/conference championship or NIT/NCAA appearance. And up until we made it, there was no evidence of improvement to suggest we would do those things (he won 16 games his first year and 16 games the year before the NIT year). I am glad KD has achieved and accomplished something I never thought he would, but I believe he would still be our coach without the success if we were still winning 16 a year.

Same thing goes for Stock. I do not believe a coach should be given 12 years w/o the division or conference championship (outright). He shows no evidence that he will win a championship if given more time.

No other FBS school gives a coach this much time w/o a championship except Northwestern & that’s not the company I want to be in. I respect Greg McGarity for not accepting the ongoing status quo at UGA, even though I really like Richt as a person, he won 10 games a year & actually had won championships at UGA. I wish Massaro was more like McGarity than Jim Phillips.

I hope Stock goes undefeated next year, but I do not believe he has earned the chance to find out. I wish our AD demanded more from our coaches to earn a 10th, 11th, 12th season.

If UT or UGA had our budget and coaches contracts they would be stuck too. Those schools can afford the buyout and new salaries

If UT or UGA had our budget and coaches contracts they would be stuck too. Those schools can afford the buyout and new salaries
CM rolled the dice with that contract and he crapped out. MT is really in a bad spot and unless a fireball AD can come in and convince folks who have the financial ability to give big, we’re stuck with what we’ve got. It is what it is. Memphis had to clean house from the President and AD on down to get the big donors back on board and committed to Tiger Football.

Reactions: MTOleBlue

I was about to say OleBlue standing tall over there, but you ARE OleBlue lol. Well done.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I was about to say OleBlue standing tall over there, but you ARE OleBlue lol. Well done.
Ha! Yep, that'd be me. Thank you. Many of them over there are reasonable but there are a few who really can go off in some not so great directions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT