ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on recruits thus far

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
Thoughts on recruits thus far…..

Slow night at work tonight so I’ve spent all night watching every video on our current commits via hudl. Figured I would share a few thoughts on each if anyone cares, if not, oh well! I’m rating each player with 1 – 5 stars with 5 being the most exciting prospects.

Justin Brown – CB – Might be slightly undersized on the collegiate level but as you guys know we are not afraid to play a smaller corner if they offer a big impact (Alex Suber, Bradley Robinson). Brown is an instinctive player for his position and does a great job keeping his eye on the QB as he trails the receiver. He turns his hips well and doesn’t shy away from contact. Able to play on an island as he was often left in man coverage on his highlight reel. Obviously needs to bulk up or he’ll just get run over at the collegiate level but with a senior season ahead of him and a near-certain red-shirt year, he could grow into a great player here at MT. 3 stars

Kyle Banks – QB – This for me is arguably the most exciting commitment thus far. As a junior and sophomore he is already fantastic at reading a defense and picking the right target quickly. He’s insanely accurate and fits the ball into the closest of spaces. I do worry a college defense might punish his risk taking more at the next level but he will adapt and figure out what he can and can’t get away with. At North Paulding High School, he’s already in an offense that spreads the field and throws the ball all over the place so he has the potential to come in and contribute early if needed (Though the position may be on lock down for the next few years with Grammar/Stockstill) – I would say a redshirt is all but a foregone conclusion at this point, so it’ll be at least two years until we see him on the field but I really do believe this kid has all the tools to be special at MT. I was doubtful we would sign a QB this year anyway after taking Urzua last year but I think Stockstill couldn’t pass up the prospect of having such a talented arm on the roster. I do fear a power 5 offer will be coming before signing day so it’ll be very interesting to see if this commit sticks. A kid like this that can make all the throws and come In and play right away is a rare commodity. 5 stars

Stephen Omorogbe – DE/TE – Unfortunately most of his video shows him playing the TE/RT position (and even WR on occasion) so it’s difficult to speculate on his ability on the defensive side. From a blocking perspective, he fires off the lane and simply overpowers his opponents in most of the video available. He’s got good extension with his arms and knows how to get to the 2nd level and block down field. He’s a versatile athlete who could literally ultimately end up at any position on the line, offense OR defense and even play some tight end too. It’s difficult to envision where he’ll end up but if it were me I would consider having him eat his way into a DT position. 2 stars

Nick Bryant – DE/TE – On defense, does a good job of reading an offense and understand where he needs to be on any given play. Keeps outside contain and understands the importance of targeting the outside shoulder. At Pasco High School he played a lot of DE and Mike LB. I personally could see him developing into a good MLB here at Middle. From watching his film it’s easy to see he has a high football IQ. Doesn’t jump out at you with eye popping athletic ability but he always seems to be in the right place at the right time. Shoots gaps well, is disruptive when he gets into the backfield, and doesn’t believe in arm tackles. On offense, he comes off the line lightning fast and drives his defender off the line. Could have better arm extension and put on a few more pounds but as is he’s a decent overall prospect. 2.5 stars

William Dale Craig – LB – Great sideline to sideline speed and tracks the ball carrier well. Fights off blocks and is deceptively fast while usually requiring 2 people to be effectively blocked. Can line up outside as an edge rusher as well and apply pressure. He has prototypical size and reminds me of a taller J.K. Sabb. Could easily transition into a DE with his tall stature and quick first step. I personally could see him excelling at the DE position as it appears a much more natural fit for him as he rushes the passer extremely well and understands contain responsibility. Can look a bit lost when playing MLB so will be interesting to see where he ends up. He’s definitely not afraid of contact and makes it a point to hit someone on every play. 3.5 stars

Chris Myers – DE – Strong, lean, and fast edge rusher. Disruptive when he makes his way into the backfield. Has prototypical frame but certainly needs a year in the weight room to bulk up. Does has soft hands and lined up as a wide-out at times. Limited video exists on this prospect so I don’t want to form any strong conclusions here but he’s certainly a good looking kid and a legit FBS prospect.

Treyton Peters – OL – Played mostly right tackle his junior year. Good extension with arms and drives the defender far away from the player; plays to the whistle. Has a lean but strong body and a frame that will allow him to get much bigger and stronger (ie. Lots of upside here) – Will almost certainly play at the tackle position while at MT due to his quick feet and athleticism. Opens holes like a champ and is a patient lead blocker when pulling. Could come off the ball quicker but he will learn that at the FBS level. His athleticism doesn’t really jump out at you but then again most linemen don’t. 3.5 stars

Jarel Rowe – WR – Catches the ball at its highest point. Can make the first man miss and knows when to turn it up field. Route running could be more polished but that will come with time. Playing the position looks instinctive for him. He doesn’t appear to be the fastest runner but he runs with huge strides which makes his speed deceptive. He’s gone if he gets into the open field! Able to play both inside and outside WR and could even bulk up and play TE if needed though we know that won’t be needed. Kind of reminds me of a poor man’s Randy Moss. Also returns punts at Carrollton High School. He most certainly passes the eye test and looks the part. 4 stars

Kylan Stribling – ATH – Does a good job of keeping his eye on the QB. Not afraid to come up and lay the wood. Played RB at times for Independence but will almost certainly play DB while at MT. Limited video exists for this prospect so it’s difficult to jump to any strong conclusions but not very impressed here.

CJ Windham – WR – Solid route runner, not afraid to go across the middle and catch a pass knowing a big hit is on the way. Good field presence and clearly has a good football IQ. Doesn’t have daunting size or speed but possesses great hands and is a solid, reliable FBS prospect. Hard to find one single negative on this guy or really anything to say because he just goes out there and does his job. Solid, solid, solid. 4 stars

Reactions: THEBLUERAIDER
I watched lavergne and Smyrna last night and never heard meyers' name. Granted that doesn't mean much lavergne is always awful yet the have the most guys in the nfl in Rutherford county

Good write up!

I watched the North Paulding vs Archer game last night.

Banks was 16-36-1TD, 191 yds. Not crazy good #'s, but Archer was just way better than NP. Archer's got a bunch of guys going to high level power schools.

Would have loved to have seen that Doug. Really excited about the Banks kid and the two WR commits thus far. Wasn't very impressed with the Urzua signing last year so it's a relief to see Banks committed here....I really hope it sticks.

Reading over what I posted, I might have been a bit harsh on the D-line prospects but it's pretty difficult to gauge defensive line talent coming out of high school unless they're just obviously a dominant force so you really just have to go after the most athletic and prototypical size players even though the production might not be there. The hope is you get them to campus, get them in a college weight program, coach them up, and they reach their potential. I'm a big fan of finding productive defensive linemen in the JUCO ranks for this reason as the JUCO serves as a weeding out process. Unfortunately, you will almost always see any productive defensive lineman in the JUCO ranks going to a Power 5 school. We were quite fortunate to get Peter Bailey last year.

The analysis done by Mr. Wiley is why message boards exist in the first place. Not a particular fan of his due to his proclivity to bash amateur athletes when I think that is best left to adults getting paid for a living but that is why this is still the greatest country in the world, we get to agree to disagree. Been a good while since anyone on this board has dug as deep as he did. Well done!
From the age of 3-6 I lived in a suburb of Philadelphia. Since that time I have been afflicted with being a Philadelphia Phillie & 76'er fan. If you think being a MT fan is tough, try supporting those three teams.
A couple of years ago I stumbled upon LibertyBallers.com. A site solely dedicated to the 76'ers. Far and away the best site I have ever been on. Forget the guys paid to write. The fan posts generally are off the charts. This is beyond their dead season but check it out in a few months.
I mention this only because the analysis Mr. Wiley did on our future commitments is SOP on many other sites. The Sixers are beyond bad and will be this year too. However, the enthusiasm and buy in by Sixer fans every where has never been higher. We can only hope some day the same level of energy and enthusiasm on this board will mirror LibertyBallers.com. Hats off to Mr. Wiley for raising the bar.

Adding to BlueAlpha's point, what happened to all the traffic on our boards? It seems every since the original scout board went away, participation has greatly declined. I know they have up another board, and everyone is now scattered between this one and that one. But it's still no where close to what it used to be even adding together all posts from both boards. Thanks to all who do participate with information and takes.

Adding to BlueAlpha's point, what happened to all the traffic on our boards? It seems every since the original scout board went away, participation has greatly declined. I know they have up another board, and everyone is now scattered between this one and that one. But it's still no where close to what it used to be even adding together all posts from both boards. Thanks to all who do participate with information and takes.

I monitor the traffic on here regularly and its actually increased year over year. That said, it appears people are more inclined to read/lurk than to post.

To all the lurkers - don't be afraid to jump on in! The waters are just fine!

Reactions: Loneraider_04
Go to the other board and you will be back here quickly. I still post over there but it is dead. With football season being less than two weeks away, the amount of content over there is minimal. I think both boards will pick up after the first game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT