ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS The University Announces Future Home of Aerospace Campus in Shelbyville, TN

Murfreesboro politicians are too busy turning Murfreesboro into nasty ass nashville to be concerned with the aerospace program

Reactions: Noogaraider1

Though my employer of 40+ years was not publicly traded, we were a Fortune 25-40 size company. We had departments whose sole purpose was to look out 10-15 years and forecast where we, the industry, customers, technology, government regulation, etc, were going. Unfortunately, in the government sector, their idea of long-range planning is 1-3 years.
Certainly both MT & the city are culpable in abdicating their shared responsibility to anticipate what the aerospace/airports long-range needs would be?
That said, not sure I share the doom & gloom. There are numerous examples where even flagship universities have key degree programs at other locations. Believe the UT Systems medical school is in Memphis, a hike from Knoxville. U of GA’s medical school is in Augusta, not Athens. U of KY has 2 engineering programs in Paducah, though most are at the main campus in Lexington.
Thought I read this week that the Shelbyville airport is 19 miles from MT. To me, it gives MT a chance to burnish its brand in both Bedford & Coffee Counties. Imagine many of their citizens have no idea MT has a top 5-7 rated aerospace program. Partnerships with Delta & Southwest.
Still doesn’t excuse their failure to anticipate what their geographic footprint was going to be. We have seen this movie play out time after time.
If they were moving it to Jackson or Bristol, I would share the concern. 19 miles to an adjoining county doesn’t seem that big of a deal if we can hopefully expand our branding.

I agree. I think it may help strengthen what little political sway the university has in state politics, if only marginally because of the benefits to Bedford county.

Reactions: Noogaraider1
Though my employer of 40+ years was not publicly traded, we were a Fortune 25-40 size company. We had departments whose sole purpose was to look out 10-15 years and forecast where we, the industry, customers, technology, government regulation, etc, were going. Unfortunately, in the government sector, their idea of long-range planning is 1-3 years.
Certainly both MT & the city are culpable in abdicating their shared responsibility to anticipate what the aerospace/airports long-range needs would be?
That said, not sure I share the doom & gloom. There are numerous examples where even flagship universities have key degree programs at other locations. Believe the UT Systems medical school is in Memphis, a hike from Knoxville. U of GA’s medical school is in Augusta, not Athens. U of KY has 2 engineering programs in Paducah, though most are at the main campus in Lexington.
Thought I read this week that the Shelbyville airport is 19 miles from MT. To me, it gives MT a chance to burnish its brand in both Bedford & Coffee Counties. Imagine many of their citizens have no idea MT has a top 5-7 rated aerospace program. Partnerships with Delta & Southwest.
Still doesn’t excuse their failure to anticipate what their geographic footprint was going to be. We have seen this movie play out time after time.
If they were moving it to Jackson or Bristol, I would share the concern. 19 miles to an adjoining county doesn’t seem that big of a deal if we can hopefully expand our branding.
True, but those are graduate programs. These are kids still going back and forth to campus for other classes.

If they take off late due to MX or WX, then the training flight will have to be cut short to accommodate the trek back to campus, which was more doable from KMBT.

Hopefully they can arrange schedule to give them the time in between to make it happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT