ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Thank you Rice!!!!!

blueraiderJT

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 15, 2006
LaTech just went down! 88-81 to Rice. So if we win tomorrow, we win it all outright with no drama. Technically we already won it since we would break the tie even if we dropped all 3 but a win tomorrow clinches it.

Thanks Rice.

67417837-businessman-drawing-a-bigger-target-of-his-colleague-achieve-more-important-goals-in-work-concept.jpg

After that weekend when MT won at Rice early in conference play, I commented on here that I thought that win would likely turn out to be a big win for MT as the season went on even though Rice was off to a 1-3 start in the conference at that time. That Rice 1-3 start was an early hole that had them in the bottom half of the conference at that time, IIRC. At that time, it seemed that they were likely a victim of a tough scheduling to start the season. Rice's talent and performance vs MT at that time was demonstrating that they were (are) a quality team. It was a good early season win for MT to pick up on the road.

Now Rice looks to be 1 game out of the top 4 and that ever so important 1st round bye in the conf tourney. Currently, Rice is only 1 game behind both the 3rd and 4th place teams of ODU and UTEP. As things turned out this season, Rice ended up being one of the limited few losses LaTech incurred in conf play this season. Turns out to be a big critical game to help MT in hopefully securing the conf championship and finishing the season in strong fashion.

It appears to be an even bigger game tomorrow for MT vs UAB. A real shot on national TV at UAB to get the outright regular season C-USA Championship. It sure would be nice! Regardless, I'm confident MT will win at least 1 more conf game to seal the outright championship. It would be nice to do it tomorrow vs rival UAB on the road on national tv that would also keep the winning streak alive to hopefully stay on the bubble should tragedy strike in the conf tourney. Plus, it sure would be nice to pull off a season sweep of UAB. I suspect opportunities to get season sweeps vs UAB will not happen all that often.

Unless there are some big unexpected wins and losses in the last few games of the regular season in conference, it looks like it might be shaping up for MT to match up vs ODU, UTEP, or Rice in the Semis. I have to say, any one of those three teams would be incredibly dangerous for MT in the semis. Then to top it off in what would likely be a LaTech vs MT in the finals would be a tough little stretch with little to no margin for error. All of that assuming that a top team does not get upset in the quarters as does so often happen in the conf tourney. MT will have to bring the A game. If MT is firing on all cylinders, I really like MT's chances. MT just can't afford to slack in the conf tourney.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT