ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL So you are in marketing, how do you sell season tickets...

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
beyond the die-hards. How do you increase ticket numbers (whatever they really are) or if you can't increase the numbers, how do you increase the revenue from the home schedule?

You can't do it...if the goal is to actually increase attendance next year, you turn everyone of your diehards into salesmen with amazing ticket packages...like group pricing - example; groups of 20 or more get tickets at 50% off.

Secondly, you pitch the new students over and over and over and over.

No one but the die hards care. Your average alumni can't even hear or see our marketing. The only way to get that crew is DRAMATIC PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT and then SUSTAIN it for a while - this hasn't ever happened.

Get our sponsors to buy blocks of seats to sell for $5.
Start now contacting alumni, donors and business about season tickets.
Advertise the hell out of the spring game. Schedule the game the same weekend as the alumni weekend as opposed to last year.

Can't be done. There's nothing exciting about this football team.

People have bought in and were left disappointed too many times.

People don't buy average. People ain't forking over money to be disappointed for the 12th consecutive year.

Yeah, I know, no one wants to hear it anymore. But it's still the truth and the biggest problem we face.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Have a 100% free to attend game with dirt cheap concessions and tons of fun stuff for kids so people can show up, have a good time, and see what it's all about. Exposure is key and allowing people in for free gives them zero excuse not to come. You can also give them free admission via collecting their information (phone number, mailing address) so you can try to recruit them to future events.

There's a lot of people in the area who have not ever been to a game or it's been a really long time. They're actually a lot of fun and just getting people there to get the taste in their mouth could go a long ways.

Also, while the people are there for their free game, try to sell the hell out of ticket packages at this free event to get people to return which in turn increases revenue.

This costs the university basically nothing and is a huge promotion for the program to give exposure to a group of people that typically don't get to the games. You could even try it for football too.

As long as season ticket holders don't get butt hurt over it (and they shouldn't, this an effort to improve the program as a whole and it's a sacrifice/opportunity for all involved), then there's nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmithO1906
Granted, I'm many years removed from hanging out around campus and knowing the going ons. It seems football is not the only only program lacking some marketing support. It's a head scratcher seeing mediocre crowds at basketball games when the team is performing at a level that deserves really large and rowdy crowds. Admittedly, the bball crowds the last 4 or 5 years have been substantially better than the poor crowds for what seemed like almost two decades.

Is Pres McPhee doing much to promote athletics to the university community and Nashville alumni?

It's been probably 10 years ago when MT had that one Dean of Students (or some name to that effect) who really seemed to be making a difference. Student attendance and involvement at games was noticeably improved for a few years. Sadly, that dean moved on after a few years. The students crowds started to drop off after he left. I'm not sure what he was doing, but it seems someone was able to do something to encourage some improvement in attendance and involvement.

I'm not suggesting that marketing is the only part of the equation to good attendance and support, but it does seem to be at least one part of the equation.

So, does anyone know if Pres McPhee is actively involved and helping to promote fan support? It seemed there for a handful of years that he at least promoted MT athletics at a reasonably moderate level.

Anyone else catch Kermit's postgame comments last night after the win over Southern Miss? In talking about the need for a good big crowd for Saturday's LaTech game, Kermit was wondering if MT people were even aware of what was going on in the Murphy Center with MT basketball. Quite telling comments. Again, Kermit and the team deserves huge rowdy crowds.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
The crowd in Sat will be in the 6k range which is a good crowd for us.

The sports landscape has changed.

For me, I simple can't make many games during the week due to travel schedule. But I will be there Sat!

There are many ways to increase ticket numbers, but the most obvious to me is to have more than one dedicated ticket salesperson (which is the current staffing). The university has not invested in the business side of this program. Until they do that, things will never change.

Make home and home contract negotiations a must for Vandy, Memphis, (possibly even Kentucky and Louisville.) Regional games with large fanbases willing to travel the easy drive to Murfreesboro. I would definitely renew season tickets for these OOC games to take some of the sting out of paying for crappy CUSA matchups.

Hell, Vandy fans won't drive 3 miles to Bridgestone and we KNOW they did not show up for our Dec. game in the Boro.

Reactions: dukewayne
The crowd in Sat will be in the 6k range which is a good crowd for us.

The sports landscape has changed.

For me, I simple can't make many games during the week due to travel schedule. But I will be there Sat!

To me, it seems to be a societal landscape that has and is changing. Effecting sports, technological advances seem to be a part of what is changing the landscape particularly attendance. The digitally ever-connected almost seems to further contribute to a fractured society. Fractured as in all the directions people are pulled towards and involved in. People can certainly become interested enough to support or get involved in large activities such as sporting events. I'll leave it to the experts in those fields such as marketing etc as to how many and what it would take to cut through the clutter to help get people out to games.

I will say this in fairness to MT, there are a whole bunch of C-USA schools that would love to have the problem of trying to consistently get more than 6000 out to home bball games.

Make home and home contract negotiations a must for Vandy, Memphis, (possibly even Kentucky and Louisville.) Regional games with large fanbases willing to travel the easy drive to Murfreesboro. I would definitely renew season tickets for these OOC games to take some of the sting out of paying for crappy CUSA matchups.

How are we going to "make" these schools do this?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT